Football/soccer

SmileBam

Reaction score
Well,let's talk here about the king of the sports. :whistle: Hope that we will not end up talking about bald football players.... :shock:

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Here in Texas, we call it neither "football" nor "soccer". We call it "sissy football".

Fender89

Established Member
Reaction score
football is way superior to american football. That's why there's a world cup =D

HughJass

Reaction score
This is the strange game passed off as football here in Awrstraya-

[youtube:n3l0hcp3]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4IYK8dNzIQ[/youtube:n3l0hcp3]

It's basically and hour and a bit(?) of troglodyes bumping into each other.

SmileBam

Reaction score
Well,maybe this thread can be exclusively for europeans. :woot: Africans like football too,but there are 2 problems with them:
1.Internet(except South Africa,Egypt,i don't really see people from other countries that can use it at least occasionally).
2.They nearly don't have hairloss. :(
Ok,so i'll post a question for you football fans:Who will win the World Cup this year?

Ian Curtis

Established Member
Reaction score
Why did the americans take the name football from the european sport? When one of their "football" games is on tv i see a bunch of doods running around holding a melon. No feet whatsoever!

SmileBam

Reaction score
Ian Curtis said:
Why did the americans take the name football from the european sport? When one of their "football" games is on tv i see a bunch of doods running around holding a melon. No feet whatsoever!
Tehnically,'their' football brings more with rugby,but it doesn't compares with this either.America is surely very different comparing with the rest of the world...

vauxall

Established Member
Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soccer_(Football)#Etymology

The rules of football were codified in England by the Football Association in 1863, and the name association football was coined to distinguish the game from the other forms of football played at the time, specifically rugby football. The term soccer originated in England, first appearing in the 1880s as a slang abbreviation of the word "association", often credited to former England captain Charles Wreford-Brown.

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/rss/transcr ... 2006a.html

Americans are brushed off with incisive statements like, how can we take you seriously? You don't even call it ‘football’ as the rest of the world does. This of course ignores that Hungarians and Italians do not call the sport football, and everybody takes the Italians seriously and everyone once took Hungarian soccer very seriously, especially England. Much of the non-British English-speaking world does not call the sport football. It is not called football in South Africa, and the Australian national team is not nicknamed the football-roos, they are the soccer-roos.

Soccer's etymology is not American but British. It comes from an abbreviation for Association Football, the official name of the sport (for those of you who have never heard the team "Association Football" before, it was named after the Football Association, which still governs English soccer, to differentiate itself from the other major type of football, Rugby Football, which was named after the Rugby School. FIFA, the world governing body of soccer, is French for the International Federation of Association Football… F-I-F-A). For obvious reasons, in the 1880s and 1890s, English newspapers couldn't use the first three letters of Association as an abbreviation in their pages, so they took the next syllable, S-O-C. With the British penchant for adding "-er" at the end of words: punter, footballer, copper, and, of course, nicknaming rugby, "rugger," the word "soccer" was soon born, over a hundred years ago, here in England, the home of soccer. We adopted it and kept using it because we have our own indigenous sport that we call football.

http://web.archive.org/web/200806101551 ... istory.php

The term "Soccer" was coined when someone was asked if he was a Rugger, which is a Rugby player. The -er signified that the person participated in a a particular sport. The individual, Charles Wreford Brown, replied with "Soccer!", taking the phrase from Association, SOC, and adding the -er. The term stuck. While British individuals still call the game Football, Americans and other countries call it Soccer, especially if they have heavy support in American Football present. Ever since the foundation of the Association, "Football" has risen in popularity, becoming one of the best love games in the history of Earth. Now, hundreds of thousands play the sport, although it lacks the initial violence present at its creation.

Cassin

Reaction score
I hate these threads were people argue about this...

I am a fan of both and love both. They are both great and require amazing skill. Those who criticize one of the sports is likely highly ignorant of it.

Britannia

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Here in Texas, we call it neither "football" nor "soccer". We call it "sissy football".

Here in England we have Rugby. Which in comparison makes American Football look like a little girls tea party.

Cassin

Reaction score
I wish the EPL would get their sh*t together and make footy available in the States.

Sticking it on some obscure over priced piece of sh*t package on SETANTA is not allowing the sport to grow over here.

Shma

Established Member
Reaction score
Britannia said:
Bryan said:

Here in England we have Rugby. Which in comparison makes American Football look like a little girls tea party.
:agree: :hump:

Bald Dave

Established Member
Reaction score
Cassin said:
I hate these threads were people argue about this...

I am a fan of both and love both. They are both great and require amazing skill. Those who criticize one of the sports is likely highly ignorant of it.

Same here although I would have to admit to enjoying American football more than Soccer and im a Brit!

Ignorance is the key here. Alot of Brits will say that American football is just like rugby except for the shoulder pads, helmits etc but they are completly wrong. I personally hate rugby and love American football because its a much more enjoyable sport.

Bald Dave

Established Member
Reaction score
Me and my brother has just purchased tickets for the NFL game at Wembley between the Denver Bronchos and the San Francisco 49ers and we're both looking forward to it :punk:

Britannia

Reaction score
What I cant stand is the pure ignorance of Americans who compare American Football to Soccer - even though the correct comparison should be American Football to Rugby. Rugby is more physical and you dont get to wear sissy "protection". Before calling Soccer a sissy game, have at look at a good British Rugby game.............