Foods for Younger Looking Hair

ChrisJ

Reaction score
Just found this article:

It’s one of the maddening ironies of aging: Hair gets thinner where we want it -- on our heads -- and starts sprouting up in places we don’t.

Good trimmers and tweezers are all you need for the latter. But for the former? Try these healthy hair foods from Drs. Roizen and Oz (see below) -- they can help make your locks look more like they did in your 20s.

Healthy-Hair Diet

* Eat more salmon. Omega-3 rich foods like salmon and sardines help seal in shine. Distilled fish oils or DHA supplements will work, too. Need something new to do with salmon? Try this quick and easy Blackened Salmon Sandwich from EatingWell.

* Be a bran lover. Bran is rich in vitamin B, which may slow hair loss and promote hair growth. Other B-rich victuals include beans, peas, carrots, cauliflower, soybeans, nuts, and eggs. Make bran-infused pancakes a snap with this Healthy Pancake Mix.

* Say yes to avocados. Avocados and avocado oil may prevent some funky stuff that kills hair follicles -- dihydrotestosterone (DHT) -- from getting where it needs to go. Watch this video for shortcuts on cutting, peeling, and seeding an avocado.

* Say no to animal fat -- and red meat -- if you’re losing hair. They can lead to more DHT production and hair-follicle damage. Make meat-free gravy for your mashers with this delicious Portobello Gravy recipe.

* Stock up on green tea. Brew a strong pot, cool it, then give your head a rinse to help kill off dandruff-causing fungus. Incidentally, if you drink green tea, the caffeine in it may help slow balding, too. Try this simple Green Tea-Fruit Smoothie for breakfast -- another fabulous EatingWell recipe.
http://www.realage.com/ct/tips/7160

Hammer87

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm a believer that diet does not cause hair loss, but once started can slightly accelerate it/decelerate it and those genetically prone who were going to go bald anyway may start the process slightly earlier due to their diet.

So I will take this on board.

Although washing your hair in green tea has crossed my mind, the hassel of it means I can't be bothered. Has anyone done this?

ali777

Reaction score
We have argued this in the past (many times), and I happen to believe that healthy lifestyle CAN slow male pattern baldness down. I'm not saying healthy lifestyle is a cure to hairloss, but some of us will benefit from it...

CCS

Reaction score
foods for younger looking hair

How about foods, etc for younger looking face, body, everything?

s.a.f

Reaction score
Nothing will make you 'younger' the ageing process is a one way street, but a healthy diet could slow things down (or just not age you quickly) but only to a small degree.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Nothing will make you 'younger' the ageing process is a one way street, but a healthy diet could slow things down (or just not age you quickly) but only to a small degree.

Calorie Restriction diet, the right supplements and exercises will help you to look and feel younger. The aging process is more than one way street and this is why we didn't discover the recipe to stay immortal. Our body is so complex it is not funny but that is the beauty of it at the same time!

ali777

Reaction score
barcafan said:
I know a guy who took GH and his skin looked about 10 years younger.

What's a GH?

squeegee said:
Calorie Restriction diet, the right supplements and exercises will help you to look and feel younger. The aging process is more than one way street and this is why we didn't discover the recipe to stay immortal. Our body is so complex it is not funny but that is the beauty of it at the same time!

I've read about calorie restriction, but I don't believe in it. Last summer I was on unintentional calorie restriction. With all the sh*t going on in my life, I lost my appetite and I could go all day on a single meal. I lost 25kg in little over a year...

If calorie restriction prolongs our life expectancy, I must have gained a few years... However, I actually think all that malnutrition I suffered must have shortened my life by a few years.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Huge difference between Growth Hormone and food.

HughJass

Reaction score
there used to be an entry on the wiki page for baldness, a study which spoke about how rates of hairloss in japanese men increased after they adopted a diet higher in carbohydrates following the American after WWII...it's not there anymore.

ITNEVERRAINS

Established Member
Reaction score
I take a vitamin regimen that is similar to GH (synthetic of course) I feel and look younger than I should, of course 5000 grafts haven't hurt the cause.

s.a.f

Reaction score
No amount of vitimins will ever come close to the effects of GH.

barcafan

Reaction score
How about L-arginine? Pretty sure bryan did an expiriment with it and posted his results on HLH

JonnyX

Reaction score
I have read in Mens Health that regular fasting can slow the aging process. The article I read talked about a guy who fasted every week for 36 hours.

s.a.f

Reaction score
JonnyX said:
I have read in Mens Health that regular fasting can slow the aging process. The article I read talked about a guy who fasted every week for 36 hours.

How does that work?

ali777

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
JonnyX said:

How does that work?

ITV made a programme about anti-ageing just last week.

Calorie restriction (CR) is one of the best known techniques in anti-ageing. The basis of CR is that in the lab environment, pretty much all the animals that were forced to fast were healthier and lived longer. Scientists aren't sure if this would directly translate into our species, but we are in a hair loss forum willing to try anything that may or may not benefit our hair. So, lots of people are happy to try CR.

I personally don't believe in systematic CR. All Abrahamic religions preach one form or another of fasting. If CR was effective, religious people would live longer than atheists. There is also the possibility of depriving the body of essential nutritions during the fast, which can not be a good thing.

s.a.f

Reaction score
ali777 said:
There is also the possibility of depriving the body of essential nutritions during the fast, which can not be a good thing.

Thats what I figured.

barcafan

Reaction score
Well i know for a fact that a caloric deficit has a strong correlation to life extension. So maybe that's why fasting is considered good for longevity..

ali777

Reaction score
barcafan said:
Well i know for a fact that a caloric deficit has a strong correlation to life extension. So maybe that's why fasting is considered good for longevity..

Show us your facts!!!

I have to agree that regular detoxification or not indulging in fatty or sugary foods is of benefit, but fasting for 36 hours as previously stated in another post?

I think we have to agree on what we mean by "calorie restriction" and fasting. For me a male consuming less than 2000cal a day would be on a calorie restricted diet. In other words, what we commonly refer to as "being on diet" is the same as calorie restriction, and we all know the benefits of "being on diet".

Fasting, on the other hand, would be abstaining from food and drink for a certain amount of time. If there was a proof that fast had positive effect on the body, the religious people would have played that card and we would have known about it.

Fasting and calorie restricted diet should not be assumed to mean the same thing.

JLL

Established Member
Reaction score
ali777 said:
I have to agree that regular detoxification or not indulging in fatty or sugary foods is of benefit, but fasting for 36 hours as previously stated in another post?

Pretty much any kind of fasting is good for health, because it improves glucose tolerance.

ali777 said:
I think we have to agree on what we mean by "calorie restriction" and fasting. For me a male consuming less than 2000cal a day would be on a calorie restricted diet. In other words, what we commonly refer to as "being on diet" is the same as calorie restriction, and we all know the benefits of "being on diet".

Caloric restriction, which means eating less calories than you "normally" would, has numerous health benefits (some of which I briefly talked about here) in both humans and animals. In animals, it is the only thing that has been shown to consistently prolong the lifespan of almost every species it's been tried on - the rhesus monkey study is still underway, but the calorie-restricted monkeys look much younger than their counterparts. Whether or not it works in humans is uncertain, but it does look promising. Note that calorie restriction is not the same as malnutrition; the idea is to get all the needed nutrients but with less calories.

Whether or not you'd actually like to restrict calories is an entirely different matter - as you can read from my blog, it's not that easy.

ali777 said:
Fasting, on the other hand, would be abstaining from food and drink for a certain amount of time. If there was a proof that fast had positive effect on the body, the religious people would have played that card and we would have known about it.

They have played that card and we do know about it. The members of the seventh-day adventist church fast and live longer. The Okinawans are calorie restricted and live longer.

I'm currently doing something called intermittent fasting (read about it here), which means eating for 24 hours and then fasting for 24 hours. Whether or not it increases lifespan is debatable - some studies on rats suggest it does, others suggest it doesn't - but it does have many other health benefits even in humans (protecting the brain, improving glucose tolerance, etc).

In a nutshell, the idea behind this kind of fasting is that in paleolithic times, food was not available all the time; instead, you'd feast on meat after a succesful kill and then be without food for a long period of time.

You can find more information on both diets by googling "intermittent fasting" or "caloric restriction".