Folligen

Nay

Reaction score
folligen, tricomin

I purchased Folligen and have been using it for over a month. I am careful not to spray too much because if I do, it tends to irrate and slightly cause a burning feeling on my scalp. I spray it on at night and wash it out in the morning. (Maybe it gets irrated from all of the copper peptides Folligen puts in it. It is a lot more compared to Tricomin.)

I have used Tricomin (which uses copper peptides) and the only thing I noticed was some itching at the beginning but that has gone away. Overall, I am very happy with how Tricomin has worked for me so far. I quickly saw a difference in how my hair felt and the number of hairs I was losing a day was cut in half.

Even though Tricomin is more expensive, I like it better than Folligen. Tricomin had the partial FDA trials which is probably why they are more expensive. However, at this point, I am so desparate for help with my Androgenetic Alopecia that I would be willing to buy it to do something positive about my hairloss & lack of regrowth. Tricomin has been one of the only treatments that has been beneficial to my hair in a short period of time.

You can try Folligen to see how it affects you (as it may be different for everyone) but I'm not planning on reordering. I am going to stick for Tricomin for a while since it is a lot gentlier on my scalp and is showing some good improvement.

Good luck,
Nay

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
I began using Folligen cream (for the thinner parts of scalp) and Folligen spray for other areas. I noticed the tingling and got Fluocinonide Cream USP, 0.05% from my dermatologist---the tingling disappears. (I think the brand name is LIDEX).
I also use a little ELIDEL cream (a prescription item) in the morning, after I shampoo. It has been on TV commercials lately and is supposed to help the skin's immune system. I use it with my dermatologist's approval.
Also, after almost a month, my shedding has about disappeared, to the point there is no hair on my comb on some mornings.
I plan to keep using Folligen for at least several more months, and begin to use Rogaine 5% again, now that my scalp is healthier.
I also use Nizoral 2% once a week, and Nizoral 1% once a week. :)

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Folligen update:
It'll be four months in a couple of days. I'd say there is some hair growing, but not much REgrowth, it's still thin in spots. It's kinda obvious, the new hair is pretty much all grey. Never thought I'd be glad to see grey hair. :roll:
However, one spot I DIDN'T apply Folligen to thinned very badly, :freaked: so Folligen is definitely keeping the shedding/thinning from worsening. Needless to say, I apply Folligen to a greater area now!

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
What color is your natural roots? Might it have something to do with the natural aging process? Some women start salt & pepper color development as early as their middle age...

XL

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
My real hair color is mousey brown (yuk). I use a non-peroxide color, Clairol Radiance, to richen my hair color. Since I'm 51, I guess it is normal to see more grey hair, and that is what's coming in. But, boo-hoo, prior to last fall, I had very little grey hair. Maybe the damage to my follicles from seb.derm. has "aged" the follicles to produce grey hair (or however the science works)?? If all I can get is grey hair, bring it on!! Grey hair is better than thin hair :hairy: !!!!!

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, for now all I can recommend is to do everything in your power to reverse whatever you may think has caused the follicle aging. But don't let the gray hair bring you down. Like you said... grey hair is better than thin hair or no hair, and it's a sign of maturity anyways, so you can't go wrong!

XL

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Great news. I got a new perm yesterday and my stylist said my hair looks and feels much healthier, there is some regrowth, about one-inch, and most of the regrowth is not grey.

When I got a cut from her and I thought my hair was doing MUCH better 8 weeks ago (no excess shedding after shampooing), she told me she freaked :freaked2: when she saw all the hair on my comb! Since I told her how good I thought it was doing, she was afraid to freak me out and tell me. Bottom line: no combful of hair yesterday at the stylist.

Four months of Folligen: it must be working!! :love:

P.S. To allow Fooligen to really work, I sometimes apply it as early as 3 in the afternoon. The longer it's on, the better it works?!?

jvantin1

Reaction score
To Mariejoe

Hi--

Just wanted to check in about the Folligen, since I just started using it. Are you still using it and happy with it? I'm reading your more current posts and haven't seen you mention it...

jvantin1

Reaction score
Sorry Mariejoe--I just checked your thread, and you ARE still using it. In light of what's going on now, do you think it stopped working, or do you think it's still helped?

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Actually, though I'm still using it, I did go into a heavy shed a couple of weeks ago. Unkown origin, seems to be tapering off. Scalp is MUCH healthier, so no seb derm. A healthy scalp is important, I'd say. My scalp was bad for awhile (like about the first 4.5 months of Folligen), itchy, small red patches, flaky, seb derm. In fact, the last bad "spell" on my scalp preceded the current shed...hmmmmm, could be something to that!
Also, can't use alcohol-based products. They burn like hell-fire.

Can't report much in the way of regrowth at this time. I don't really know if it's working or not!
:roll: But it could change tomorrow. I'll post all changes from now on.
BTW, it was 6 months last week. :)

jvantin1

Reaction score
Thanks!

My head is a little tingly--it doesn't hurt, it just feels a bit sensitive. I thought it was supposed to be an anti-inflammatory.

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Just about everybody reports the same thing, and some of the guys feel the tingly feeling is a good thing... :)
Why not read the men's post on folligen, there's quite a few. You might pick up some info there. :rockon:

G

Folligen Report

I'm a first-timer to the site and found it very helpful to read the thread on Folligen. I've been using it for three months and took before and after pictures. I haven't experienced any burning or tingling like others.

My pictures clearly show about an inch more hairline and the "widow's peak" (I'm a woman with male pattern baldness) is no longer shiney bald. Funny thing, the new hair right in the middle of my forehead is quite a bit coarser and it's curly - unlike the rest of my head. Do I mind? Heck, no!

Since I've been wearing wigs since my mid-30s, I have been using Folligen every other day, then covering it with my wig. That way I can have the Folligen working 24 hours until my next day's morning shower. I prefer the lotion to the heavier cream - easier to apply and spread.

After seeing the three month photo, I'm going to try using Folligen every day. Does anyone know a reason not to?

pearlheartgtr

Reaction score
I'm 29 years old and I've been losing my hair for the last 2 years (that I've noticed). I had no medical insurance to go to the doctor to have my blood tested for PCOS, hypothyroidism, or hormonal imbalances so I have to try what I can and fly blind through treatments.

I've been reading the posts on this board for almost a year (and other boards) to see what treatment might be best for me. About a month and a half ago, I decided to go with the Folligen/Minoxadil combo for treatment. I tried the minoxidil but had experienced headaches and decided it wasn't for me.

The instructions that came with the Folligen recommended Emu oil if you had reactions to the minoxidil. I did some research on the Emu oil and found that it does help with most cases of hairloss ("re-awakening" the roots).

I bought a bottle of pure Emu oil and Emu oil based shampoo and conditioner.

After 2 weeks of applying Folligen and Emu oil nightly and washing them out in the morning with the shampoo and conditioner, new hairs were popping up. Shedding had cut down more than considerably, I would say back to a normal count if not a little less than I was used to previous to the mass exodus of my hairs.

It has been about a month and a half now and the regrown hairs are about 3 inches long with more coming in. They are thin and the loss is still obvious. I notice it filling in and so does my sister. I really notice the new hairs after I brush my hair when it is still wet. They stand up and out. I would predict that my hair will be quasi-normal by Christmas since my hair always fast growing.

My health insurance from work has just kicked in and I do plan on having my blood tested soon so I can fix whatever else might be wrong.

I wholeheartedly stand behind Folligen and Emu oil for treatment. I know it won't work for some people, but it doesn't hurt to try it out.

I have a 3 pack of Women's 2% minoxidil from Walgreens that was only used once if anyone is interested seeing that I have no use for it.