Flax lignans = sensitive nipples

kikoman

Established Member
Reaction score
Taking 200 mg of Jarrows Flax Essence = 40mg of SDG in each capsule every other day. Its been about 2 weeks. I've started noticing the effect after 2 or 3 days and than switched to taking one tabet every other day. Should I continue?

I've read that people use flax lignans to help with gyno, its suppose to decrease estrogen production to some degree.

kikoman

Established Member
Reaction score
took two doses one each day instead of one every other day. Noticign more pain/puffiness in the nipple area. This can't be good.

20sometingtoo

Established Member
Reaction score
If you are going to take Flax you should probably look into getting ground Flax seed in bulk off ebay. I got a 5lb bag for $20. Thats like 6 months supply (or more?). It tastes great and is much more beneficial than the pill form. The anti-gyno properties, I've read, are only present if the lignans (the fibrous part of the seed) are intact.

Best to see a doctor because that isnt normal.

arya

Established Member
Reaction score
I am just wondering if "Flax lignans" is strong enough to cause such symptom. I think you should talk to a doctor.

20sometingtoo said:
If you are going to take Flax you should probably look into getting ground Flax seed in bulk off ebay. I got a 5lb bag for $20. Thats like 6 months supply (or more?). It tastes great and is much more beneficial than the pill form. The anti-gyno properties, I've read, are only present if the lignans (the fibrous part of the seed) are intact.

I am also talking ground flax seed for last 3 months, but I heard concentrated flax lignans are more effective. So, I just ordered mine. Lets see what happenes.

kikoman

Established Member
Reaction score
i was wondering if i continue taking it every otherday would my body adjust? When some people take propecia and get initial side effects, they go away with time for some once the body adjust to the change in the hormone level. Is gyno one of those symptoms. I dont' mean fully developed breasts here, those don't just go away even after you stop taking it. I mean nipple area tenderness/numb pain. I also feel some tightness/numb pain in my arpit area.

arya

Established Member
Reaction score
kikoman said:
i was wondering if i continue taking it every otherday would my body adjust? When some people take propecia and get initial side effects, they go away with time for some once the body adjust to the change in the hormone level. Is gyno one of those symptoms. I dont' mean fully developed breasts here, those don't just go away even after you stop taking it. I mean nipple area tenderness/numb pain. I also feel some tightness/numb pain in my arpit area.

I would say keep taking your regular dose and wait at least one month to see if the symptoms persist. If its not gone after one month than u better change the dose. Because, even with propecia, the usual symptoms go away after one month.

I got my flax lignan recently and talking 50 gm (30-60 mg SDG per gm) per day.

20sometingtoo

Established Member
Reaction score
Go to a Doctor, seriously.
I HIGHLY doubt the Flax seeds are responsible. If anything its the finasteride.

20sometingtoo

Established Member
Reaction score
kikoman said:
I'm not taking finasteride

Still doubt its the Flax, but, like I said, its worth seeing a Doctor because Flax seeds are no more potent than say Bran or Wheat. Thats like wondering if eating Cheerios has made your nipples hurt.

oaslam

Reaction score
Flax seed

I started taking Jarrow's 40mg SDG of lignan after reading of the pilot study from Taiwan. Actually, I am taking two pills per day (80mg a day of SDG lignans). I have not noticed any side effects at all.

It's too early to see any benefits to hair maintenance yet. That will take at least 2 months before you can really make a decision on how helpful it is. Still, the Taiwanese study looks very promising.

sublime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I just started taking 40mg SDG of flax twice a day and also taking two of my old flax high lignan flax. It is still to early for me to tell but I will let you know. I have noticed less fallout in the past couple days but it could simply be the propecia tide of loss and growth.....if things continue with the lessened loss for more than two weeks I will let you know and give credit to the flax.

blueshard

Established Member
Reaction score
I have read that flax lignans has anti-estrogen characteristics. It doesn't seems to me that it would cause gyno if this is true.