fitness running and hair loss

freakout

Experienced Member
Reaction score
anxious1 said:
i can see how it could contribute to hairloss, but not male pattern baldness.

i certainly think some runners look very unhealthy, they may be fit, but there bodies dont cope with the 5 hr runs.

i do believe humans are kinda like crocidiles

The best athletes today are those who began at the ages of about 2 to 7 years old. They were able to 'upgrade' from crocodiles to champions.

But if someone were to 'switch' from an ordinary person at a later age to being physically fit by way of heavy exercises, the switch can cause stresses that his body has not adpated to.

The switch can cause unpredictable consequenses.

There is definitely a difference between male pattern baldness or just plain hair loss. But it's difficult to put a definning line or a diagnosis because there is always an interplay between the various functions of our bodies.

slurms mackenzie

Established Member
Reaction score
shineman921 said:
Well, something caused mine to kick off and it was either the cardio or the weights!!

I'm not going to say that's not what happened, but how many people come on here and say "my hairs stopped falling out, all i had to do was stop exercising"?

shineman921

Established Member
Reaction score
sir chugalot said:
shineman921 said:
Well, something caused mine to kick off and it was either the cardio or the weights!!

I'm not going to say that's not what happened, but how many people come on here and say "my hairs stopped falling out, all i had to do was stop exercising"?

Well, there's enough anecdotal and scientific evidence out there to convince me it was the weight training which I ramped up significantly during the same period I noticed my thinning.

balder

Established Member
Reaction score
Moderate exercise is probably good for hair but can it have a measurable effect for stalling the male pattern baldness process?

http://sweatscience.com/running-halts-m ... s-in-mice/

http://dailynews.mcmaster.ca/story.cfm?id=7216

Endurance exercise can stop you from looking and feeling old and may even help you live longer, a study by McMaster University researchers has found.

The study, published Monday in the prestigious science journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, found that premature aging in nearly every organ in the body was completely prevented in mice that ran on a treadmill three times a week for five months.

"Many people falsely believe that the benefits of exercise will be found in a pill," said Mark Tarnopolsky, principal investigator of the study and a professor of pediatrics and medicine of the Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine. "We have clearly shown that there is no substitute for the "real thing" of exercise when it comes to protection from aging."

These mice were genetically engineered to age faster due to a defect in a gene for polymerase gamma (POLG1) that alters the repair system of their mitochondria - the cellular powerhouses responsible for generating energy for nearly every cell in the body.

Mitochondria are unique in that they have their own DNA. It has been thought that lifelong accumulation of mitochondrial DNA mutations leads to an energy crisis that results in a progressive decline in tissue and organ function, ultimately resulting in aging. But the study on genetically-disadvantaged mice found those who had endurance exercise training three times a week looked as young as healthy mice while their sedentary siblings were balding, greying, physically inactive, socially isolated and less fertile.

"Others have tried to treat these animals with "exercise pill" drugs and have even tried to reduce their caloric intake, a strategy felt to be the most effective for slowing aging, and these were met with limited success," said Tarnopolsky.

"I believe that we have very compelling evidence that clearly show that endurance exercise is a lifestyle approach that improves whole body mitochondrial function which is critical for reducing morbidity and mortality," said Adeel Safdar, lead author and a senior PhD student working with Tarnopolsky. "Exercise truly is the fountain of youth."

s.a.f

Reaction score
shineman921 said:

It was your genetics! :smack:
When you get to 40 ish and a few wrinkles or grey hairs appear will you also blame whatever you've just been doing for that aswell?

Its unbelievable the stupidity of some people on here its just coincidence that for many guys their natural m.p.b kicks in at around the same time/age as they take up working out with weights.

balder

Established Member
Reaction score
Is there a causal relationship between high insulin levels and male pattern baldness?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Management ... dification

Lifestyle modification

Several genetic factors determine susceptibility to male pattern baldness (male pattern baldness). These factors include androgen receptor polymorphisms, scalp 5-alpha-reductase levels, androgen receptor density and distribution in the scalp. It is likely that other factors which contribute to one's susceptibility remain unknown.

Daily, vigorous aerobic exercise (as opposed to short workout periods designed to raise androgen levels and build muscle, or more sporadic exercise) and a diet which is adequate yet more moderate in terms of fat and total calorie intake have been shown to reduce baseline insulin levels as well as baseline total and free testosterone.[3]

Lower insulin levels and reduced stress both result in raised levels of sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG). SHBG binds to testosterone. Only free testosterone improves muscle growth and insulin sensitivity, but free testosterone can also be converted to the ineffective (regarding insulin sensitivity) DHT. The levels of free androgens and not of total androgens are relevant to the levels of DHT in the scalp and the progression of male pattern baldness.[4][5]

Androgenic alopecia correlates with metabolic syndrome because typically bald men have low testosterone levels (hypogonadism) which can easily trigger also diabetes mellitus and erectile dysfunction.[6] Medically increasing androgen levels improves this condition, demonstrating that androgens do not cause metabolic syndrome. Instead, high insulin levels (and possibly chronic inflammation[7]) seem the likely link in the demonstrated correlation between baldness and metabolic syndrome. This reinforces the notion that behaviors which help to keep insulin levels low and reduce chronic inflammation might also help to preserve hair.[8][9]

Some people are extremely overweight, yet they still have great hair...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNvycLxEKro

shineman921

Established Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
shineman921 said:

When you get to 40 ish and a few wrinkles or grey hairs appear will you also blame whatever you've just been doing for that aswell?

Its unbelievable the stupidity of some people on here its just coincidence that for many guys their natural m.p.b kicks in at around the same time/age as they take up working out with weights.

I'm already 43 and no, I'm not stupid. :jackit:

freakout

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Let me just add this to my previous post:

If an athlete were to switch (abrupt change) from being athletic to sedentary, the switch can also cause unpredictable consequences like developiing obesity. Obesity is also assocated with male pattern baldness.

Physical exercises help IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU"RE DOING. If not, it can be counter-productive.

s.a.f

Reaction score
shineman921 said:
s.a.f said:
shineman921 said:

I'm already 43 and no, I'm not stupid. :jackit:

Then you should realise that its perfectly natural then. Surely there are other people around you of your age who have also begun to lose hair in recent years. Have they all just started the gym aswell?

shineman921

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm already 43 and no, I'm not stupid. :jackit:[/quote]

Then you should realise that its perfectly natural then. Surely there are other people around you of your age who have also begun to lose hair in recent years. Have they all just started the gym aswell?[/quote]

Nope, none of my friends are experiencing hairloss and none of them go to the gym.

s.a.f

Reaction score
shineman921 said:
Nope, none of my friends are experiencing hairloss and none of them go to the gym.

(FACEPALM)!!!!!

Well I guess you've cracked it the Einstein. :whistle: :jackit:

s.a.f

Reaction score
:moon:

dougfunny

Established Member
Reaction score
I hate to break it to you, Shineman, but you are an idiot.

:smack:

slurms mackenzie

Established Member
Reaction score
shineman921 said:
sir chugalot said:
shineman921 said:

Well, there's enough anecdotal and scientific evidence out there to convince me it was the weight training which I ramped up significantly during the same period I noticed my thinning.

Did you take any creatine? Check out the other thread a study linked a loading phase of creatine to a 56% increase in DHT.

shineman921

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, there's enough anecdotal and scientific evidence out there to convince me it was the weight training which I ramped up significantly during the same period I noticed my thinning.[/quote]

Did you take any creatine? Check out the other thread a study linked a loading phase of creatine to a 56% increase in DHT.[/quote]

I didn't Sir Chugalot. I did start taking a variety of vitamin supplements but nothing unusual.

Appreciate the civil response mate. Clearly some idiots on this board don't believe people should express opinions and views.

bigentries

Established Member
Reaction score
shineman921 said:
Appreciate the civil response mate. Clearly some idiots on this board don't believe people should express opinions and views.
It's more like people hate the spread of misinformation

Take s.a.f or dudemon for example. They have heard all the old wive's tales before. The last place you want to read about stress, diet, or any other ridiculous theory about hair loss is in a community for baldness sufferers

s.a.f

Reaction score
bigentries said:
shineman921 said:
It's more like people hate the spread of misinformation

Take s.a.f or dudemon for example. They have heard all the old wive's tales before. The last place you want to read about stress, diet, or any other ridiculous theory about hair loss is in a community for baldness sufferers

Thankyou Bigentries, people dont seem to realise that guys like us have already been through the full spectrum of hairloss. We've been at all those stages of thinking we could change it, we've tried everything already. We've listened to idiots telling us to eat more vegtables or stand on our heads to improve bloodflow. And usually those idiots are unhealthy NW1's.

The fact is I know that every hair I've lost from my head was due clearly to nothing other than genetics. DHT levels are IRRELAVENT!!! There are bald guys with low levels and there are steroid taking NW1's.
The difference between the 2 (and what is actually relevent) is that some have high sensistivity to DHT whatever level its at and some are totally resistant to DHT levels 10x the norm. And that sensitivity is pregeneticly programmed from birth it cannot be altered by anything not diets or lifestyle.

How do you explain the fact that many men (like yourself) begin to suffer hairloss at an age when DHT levels are dropping off? At 43 yrs old your DHT levels are probably naturally 20% lower than in your 20's and the odd spot of exercise wont change that.
Me, my father and both my grandfathers all have the same hairloss pattern despite living totally different lifestyles and if I had a son who inherited those genetics he too would follow the pattern regardless of his diet or excercise regime.

So you can understand how pissed off I get when people who dont know what they're talking about try to tell me that its my fault I went bald and furtherr spread the common misconception that bald guys are bald because they are unhealthy or because of some poor lifestyle choice. :bigun: