fitness running and hair loss

skelll

Established Member
Reaction score
A friend recently told me that "running causes male pattern baldness." The little research that I've done on hair loss I learned that good health is a positive factor for maintaining hair and running from what I have read is good for ones health, so I dont understand how maintaining good health by running causes hair loss..... Some comments would be appreciated because if this is true it is stupid and makes no sense.

I recently started running 5 miles a day and I love it, but I dont want to keep doin it if it means that my hair is gonna start falling out!!!! I am currently on the Big 3 and am mostly concerned about the hair line (which has receded more so since starting treatment in Sept, which also makes no sense).

Again comments would be appreciated so I can get some clarity regarding this stupid myth or theory. I know I sound snarkey in my comments, I just get annoyed easily when things dont go my way! Thanks folks!

balder

Established Member
Reaction score
Aerobic exercise like distance running could lower testosterone, which might be good for scalp hair.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Management ... dification

Daily, vigorous aerobic exercise (as opposed to short workout periods designed to raise androgen levels and build muscle, or more sporadic exercise) and a diet which is adequate yet more moderate in terms of fat and total calorie intake have been shown to reduce baseline insulin levels as well as baseline total and free testosterone.[3]

Lower insulin levels and reduced stress both result in raised levels of sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG). SHBG binds to testosterone. Only free testosterone improves muscle growth and insulin sensitivity, but free testosterone can also be converted to the ineffective (regarding insulin sensitivity) DHT. The levels of free androgens and not of total androgens are relevant to the levels of DHT in the scalp and the progression of male pattern baldness. In short, aerobic exercise is capable of significantly lowering DHT.[4][5]

shineman921

Established Member
Reaction score
my understanding is that cardio is good and weights are bad but either way, if you are taking finasteride it's an irrelevant question as the dht levels are going to be kept in check by the finasteride.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Seriously one more of these threads and I think I'm gonna blow my head off!!!!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASEPLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASPLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASEE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASEPLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASEPLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE :STFU: with these ridiculous 'theory' threads. :bigun2:

balder

Established Member
Reaction score
Here is a study...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3040039/

Effect of Exercise on Serum Sex Hormones in Men: A 12-Month Randomized Clinical Trial

[...]

Results

[...]

There were significant trends toward increasing DHT and SHBG, with greater increases in VO2max at 3 and 12 months in exercisers. No statistically significant differences were observed for testosterone, free testosterone, 3?-Diol-G, estradiol, or free estradiol in exercisers versus controls.

Conclusions

A yearlong, moderate-intensity aerobic exercise program increased DHT and SHBG, but it had no effect on other androgens in middle-aged to older men.

balder

Established Member
Reaction score
More info...

http://www.anthonyroberts.info/2011/04/ ... ne-levels/

Although most people think of steroidogenic processes, such as the 5a-reduction of testosterone into dihydrotestosterone, as taking place in unwanted target tissue (the scalp, the prostate, etc…), this activity also takes place in skeletal muscle as well, as a reaction to exercise. DHT is, of course, the most potent male androgen, and has a host of beneficial effects for athletes (such as increased fat loss, strength, etc…)…and according to a recently published (rodent) study, it appears that endurance exercise preferentially increases intramuscular synthesis of this hormone.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
balder said:
More info...

http://www.anthonyroberts.info/2011/04/ ... ne-levels/

Although most people think of steroidogenic processes, such as the 5a-reduction of testosterone into dihydrotestosterone, as taking place in unwanted target tissue (the scalp, the prostate, etc…), this activity also takes place in skeletal muscle as well, as a reaction to exercise. DHT is, of course, the most potent male androgen, and has a host of beneficial effects for athletes (such as increased fat loss, strength, etc…)…and according to a recently published (rodent) study, it appears that endurance exercise preferentially increases intramuscular synthesis of this hormone.

It might have some effect, but not as big of one as you would think. Most people, including myself, perform exactly the same in the gym and get the same results regardless of finasteride or not.

shineman921

Established Member
Reaction score
balder said:
Here is a study...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3040039/

Effect of Exercise on Serum Sex Hormones in Men: A 12-Month Randomized Clinical Trial

[...]

Results

[...]

There were significant trends toward increasing DHT and SHBG, with greater increases in VO2max at 3 and 12 months in exercisers. No statistically significant differences were observed for testosterone, free testosterone, 3?-Diol-G, estradiol, or free estradiol in exercisers versus controls.

Conclusions

A yearlong, moderate-intensity aerobic exercise program increased DHT and SHBG, but it had no effect on other androgens in middle-aged to older men.
[/quote

.....and I thought it was weight training that caused an increase in DHT!!! I stopped the weights and increased the cardio doing 5 miles virtually every day!

freakout

Experienced Member
Reaction score
male pattern baldness is prevented during physical exercises. But it does not address sebum related causes.

It's the hypotensive state after exercises induced by androgens is what aggravates male pattern baldness. During this time (more than two hours), addressing this hypotensive state must be part of the regimen.
----------------------------------

All men have androgens to levels 50 times more than women's. Which means proponents of Androgenetic Alopecia have only genetics as the other only factor.

But conventional genetics has been 50 years of junk science. We now know that our genes merely respond to environmental signals.
viewtopic.php?p=620181#p620181

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Studies show that reading threads like this cause hair loss.

shineman921

Established Member
Reaction score
freakout said:
male pattern baldness is prevented during physical exercises. But it does not address sebum related causes.

It's the hypotensive state after exercises induced by androgens is what aggravates male pattern baldness. During this time (more than two hours), addressing this hypotensive state must be part of the regimen.
----------------------------------

All men have androgens to levels 50 times more than women's. Which means proponents of Androgenetic Alopecia have only genetics as the other only factor.

But conventional genetics has been 50 years of junk science. We now know that our genes merely respond to environmental signals.
viewtopic.php?p=620181#p620181

How do you do this? Simply washing the hair?

freakout

Experienced Member
Reaction score
shineman921 said:
freakout said:

Sorry for mentioning sebum. Sebum issuess are addressed separately - have nothing to do and androgens and exercises.

I was just reading a portion of my regimen on hypotentsive states. It appears that post exercise conditions do not only occur hours after but also, to a lesser extent, all through out in-between strenous exercises - typical in athletes due to lower heart rates. If you have a predisposition to hair loss, it will affect you specially if you work in an office environment or study hard. I'm guessing you do.

You can choose to address androgens or the hypotensive state. I go for the latter.

shineman921

Established Member
Reaction score
freakout said:
shineman921 said:
freakout said:

Sorry for mentioning sebum. Sebum issuess are addressed separately - have nothing to do and androgens and exercises.

I was just reading a portion of my regimen on hypotentsive states. It appears that post exercise conditions do not only occur hours after but also, to a lesser extent, all through out in-between strenous exercises - typical in athletes due to lower heart rates. If you have a predisposition to hair loss, it will affect you specially if you work in an office environment or study hard. I'm guessing you do.

You can choose to address androgens or the hypotensive state. I go for the latter.

Freakout, I appreciate you taking time to comment I really do but I'm not entirely sure what you mean.

freakout

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Freakout, I appreciate you taking time to comment I really do but I'm not entirely sure what you mean.
Hypotensive states are associated with myocardial infarction.
Hair loss is also associated with myocardial infarction.
It's a heart condition.

I can't be of much help other than to say that you should have yourself monitored by a cardiologists when you engage strenous exercises.

balder

Established Member
Reaction score
The brain heats up during exercise and the heat gets dissipated through the top of the skull, that is to say, the male pattern baldness region of scalp.

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2001/Jac ... Ling.shtml

The brain makes up 2% of a person's weight. Despite this, even at rest, the brain consumes 20% of the body's energy. The brain consumes energy at 10 times the rate of the rest of the body per gram of tissue. The average power consumption of a typical adult is 100 Watts and the brain consumes 20% of this making the power of the brain 20 W.

There is also a theory that says humans lost most of their body-hair/fur due to the need to sweat profusely - because by persistence hunting and relentlessly chasing game during the hottest part of the day, the ability to sweat cools off the body and gave humans a distinct advantage; most mammals are not that efficient at cooling and would heat up, forcing them to stop and rest. Eventually the animal would collapse due to heat exhaustion and could be easily killed.

Doing a lot of distance running probably does not cause male pattern baldness but it might lead to a form of diffuse hair loss due to the need for the scalp to sweat more... :dunno:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6437615

Is baldness a thermoregulatory adaptive process?

Abstract

In 100 adult men the area of the face and neck where beard was growing was measured and compared to that of glabrous skin on the forehead and calvaria. In the population as a whole, forehead area was found to be proportional to bearded area. Forehead and calvaria sweat rate was measured on 10 baldheaded male subjects and compared with that of 10 hairy control subjects during mild hyperthermia. Bald skin was found to sweat more than twice as much as hairy skin. In the light of these results the hypothesis that baldness is a thermoregulatory adaptative process is proposed.

freakout

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Is baldness a thermoregulatory adaptive process
The primary coolant of the brain is blood circultaion. Such an argument an argument may only be a response to poor circulation. Right?

freakout

Experienced Member
Reaction score
idontwanttobebalding said:
freakout said:
Hypotensive states are associated with myocardial infarction.
Hair loss is also associated with myocardial infarction.
It's a heart condition.

I can't be of much help other than to say that you should have yourself monitored by a cardiologists when you engage strenous exercises.

Could you elaborate on this a little further please!
male pattern baldness is associated with quite a number of cardio and coronary conditions. One of them is myocardial infarction (MI)

If hypotensive states is associated with MI, hairloss should logically be a symptom of a dangerous event.

That's why it's a disservice to just advice guys to take finasteride without even asking for a recent activities of a subject.

anxious1

Established Member
Reaction score
what i heard is that long distance running such as marathons, bursts red blood cells, because of the constant blunt motions of each step.

dont know if that is true, but if it is, i can see how it could contribute to hairloss, but not male pattern baldness.

i certainly think some runners look very unhealthy, they may be fit, but there bodies dont cope with the 5 hr runs.

i do believe humans are kinda like crocidiles, we only have the resources for short bursts of exercise, evolved for escaping predators. such as sprinting.(although crocs use it to catch prey lol)

but the only way i see it affecting male pattern baldness is too much testosterone.

just some thoughts, dont harass me because im not claiming anything, just sharing stuff.

s.a.f

Reaction score
anxious1 said:
what i heard is that long distance running such as marathons, bursts red blood cells, :laugh: :laugh:

dont know if that is true, but if it is, i can see how it could contribute to hairloss, but not male pattern baldness.

i certainly think some runners look very unhealthy, they may be fit, but there bodies dont cope with the 5 hr runs.

i do believe humans are kinda like crocidiles, we only have the resources for short bursts of exercise, evolved for escaping predators. such as sprinting.(although crocs use it to catch prey lol)

but the only way i see it affecting male pattern baldness is too much testosterone.

just some thoughts, dont harass me because im not claiming anything, just sharing stuff.

:smack: