First Timer - New System Being Fitted Wednesday

Cardiffguy101

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I’m having my system fitted on wednesday. Extremely nervous but the salon has done a few of these which in fairness look great.

I’m currently looking through styles that could possibly work for me!

From my understanding it will be glued on and it’s a skin system I think.

They advise a maintenance every 4 weeks where they will remove, clean and re attach.

Other than this, I really don’t know what else I should be asking the salon. Any advice would be great.

Steve Marz

My Regimen
Reaction score
Did you ask about lifts, like what happens if the system lifts in the front after taking a shower?

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Cardiffguy

Good luck with the fitting. The main things you need from them are (1) education on how to look after your system between servicings by them; and (2) a commitment to support you through any teething troubles you may have in the first few weeks.

In theory (1) shouldn't amount to much, because your system shouldn't require much maintenance, but you need to know how to wash it, condition it, and most importantly what happens if you get a bit of lift or some irritation. And that is where (2) is important. It is not uncommon for new wearers to find that the first adhesive they are given doesn't hold firm for 4 weeks, or causes some skin irritation or itching. These problems can nearly always be solved just by changing the adhesive used, but they can cause people to panic a bit. You need to have their assurance that if you get into that situation they will give you an emergency appointment straight away, and will look after you until you are happy with your look. You don't want them saying 'we're fully booked, come back in a week's time' if you have an office job to go to and your system doesn't look right.

Let us know how it goes.

Noah

Cardiffguy101

My Regimen
Reaction score
I shall be asking for as much information regarding the maintenance in between servicing.

Should I be worried about the skin system when going to the gym?

They have advised me that the skin system is much easier to maintain as I don’t have to do anything other than turn up once a month to get it removed and refitted. (Obviously the usual aftercare at home etc)

They have advised that with proper care, I should be looking at 6 months use before I have to replace it with another.

Noah

Reaction score
Personally I don't think skin systems are ideal for exercise, because the "skin" membrane is impermeable, and traps sweat underneath it, which then has to find its way out later at the join. But they are easier to maintain than lace, and probably for that reason a lot of salons push them. If you decide a system is for you, you should try a lace one and see which you prefer.

6 months is not unreasonable if you look after it. Don't overwash it (once a week with shampoo is enough), and protect it from sun damage (maybe not such an issue in Wales ).

Noah

Cardiffguy101

My Regimen
Reaction score
Personally I don't think skin systems are ideal for exercise, because the "skin" membrane is impermeable, and traps sweat underneath it, which then has to find its way out later at the join. But they are easier to maintain than lace, and probably for that reason a lot of salons push them. If you decide a system is for you, you should try a lace one and see which you prefer.

6 months is not unreasonable if you look after it. Don't overwash it (once a week with shampoo is enough), and protect it from sun damage (maybe not such an issue in Wales ).

Noah

Aha very good point about the sun! -

I think I’m just going to have to give this a go and see what happens. Perhaps in 6 months I can try the lace - I am however not looking to do much by the way of maintaining it with glue / tape at home. I do prefer the once a month appointment but then again, if it is better with the lace system then I should at least give it a try. - They mentioned they do have the lace system but most of their clients go for the skin.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Can you tell us which salon you're using?

I'm using a skin system and it is really easy to maintain but the look isn't perfect.

Am trying a lace system next but am actually dreading the maintenance aspect.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Can you tell us which salon you're using?

I'm using a skin system and it is really easy to maintain but the look isn't perfect.

Am trying a lace system next but am actually dreading the maintenance aspect.

The maintenance is not a real big deal, even with skin, you need to get the glue or tape residue off.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The skin or lace is better is a subjective thing for each wearer to decide.
4-weeks between reattachments would be too long for me.
I've probably done 250 attachments and only once can I recall going to 4-weeks.
Usually after a week, Im getting a bit of lift and after 2-weeks I prefer to wash and attach rather than struggle on with something building up bacteria

Josh mw

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I’m having my system fitted on wednesday. Extremely nervous but the salon has done a few of these which in fairness look great.

I’m currently looking through styles that could possibly work for me!

From my understanding it will be glued on and it’s a skin system I think.

They advise a maintenance every 4 weeks where they will remove, clean and re attach.

Other than this, I really don’t know what else I should be asking the salon. Any advice would be great.
those were the expectations I was given by my salon too, every 4 weeks, did that hold true for your system?

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm a bit doubtful and jealous at the same time about all this talk of 4-week bonds. I do have oily skin; however, I use an exfoliator, dermal mud, Max Sport scalp protector, supertape and ultrahold. The absolute best I've ever gotten was ten days and by then the tape was sliding around like butter in a pan . The best I typically get out of a hairline is 3 days. What I wouldn't give for a full week on a hairline and 2 weeks on the entire system