First time user difficulties installing and everything else

Wyldbanana

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello,

I hope some of you maybe able to help or offer some advice.
After years of debating I finally took the plunge and had my first ever system (or whatever you want to call it) installed by MG Ford just over two weeks ago, I was really pleased with it, it’s a custom lace based system.

He taped around the edge and glued the hairline and showed me how the process works and showed me which products etc to buy. Great service and very supportive.
After two weeks, the system had started to lift a little at the back and at the hairline, this maybe for a number of reasons. He advised I remove the system and reinstall.

I used the lace release, removed it from the front but the tape had stuck fast, I managed to release it from the system but it was completely stuck to my head, I used the lace release and the c22 and after some time I eventually removed it but I was left with bloody marks on my head from the tape see photo.

I washed the system in c22 followed by shampooing a few times to remove the residue then I conditioned the system.

I Prepped my scalp to reinstall it but I really really struggled, I have the positioning spray but I could not fit it straight and the glue was caught in the hairline etc.

I panicked and removed it straight away, as I didn’t want to ruin it by trying again.

I booked myself into a new salon which has just opened up in the area, I had to convince the guy to reinstall my system as they normally only deal with their own poly systems (btw the salon is crazy expensive for systems £735! And regrooms are £49)
He installed it, but it doesn’t look how it did when it was originally installed, he didn’t style it or anything so I couldn’t tell at the salon.
I have quite a long Liam Gallagher hair style, could it be that my bio has grown enough to make the system more visible and less blended?

I would use MG Ford everytime to regroom/reinstall etc but I live in the north east of UK and it’s a 12hr round trip to Bristol.
If there is any advice you may have I would appreciate it.

Such as the best methods for removing the tape from my head?

Is this how people generally clean their systems to remove the glue residue?

What methods do people use to install their system, do you install from the front or back first or just place in the middle?

Why would the system look different now to when it was first installed, could this be due to the shampooing?

Where do people have their boi hair cut?
Apologies for all of the questions any help would be great.
Thanks

4812C63C-C582-4BB9-B74E-F8C8603F3E69.jpeg

ndnBaldGuy

My Regimen
Reaction score
First of, welcome to the club and congrats for making that leap into this journey.

So I think whatever tape they used caused scalp irritation. Was the tape are more noticeable of itching? Or it maybe that the tape area was strong or something.

I recommend using a scalp protector to help with above and you can also use some form of hydrocortisone with the itching (if there is itching).

Wyldbanana

My Regimen
Reaction score
First of, welcome to the club and congrats for making that leap into this journey.

So I think whatever tape they used caused scalp irritation. Was the tape are more noticeable of itching? Or it maybe that the tape area was strong or something.

I recommend using a scalp protector to help with above and you can also use some form of hydrocortisone with the itching (if there is itching).
Hi thanks,
Scalp protector was used prior to the installation, I just couldn’t get the tape off my head without it pulling half my skin off with it. Despite how much lace release I used.

ndnBaldGuy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi thanks,
Scalp protector was used prior to the installation, I just couldn’t get the tape off my head without it pulling half my skin off with it. Despite how much lace release I used.
So you should use c22 to remove from scalp. Also would have to do it gently as the glue is under the tape so have to be patient with having the adhesive remover actually penetrate under the tape which would include multiple sprays.

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Wyldbanana

Let me add my welcome to the club, and congratulations on taking the plunge. I'm glad the result looked good - that's important.

Those marks on your skin look to me like little broken blood vessels caused by pulling the tape off. They will heal and disappear. In a way, you have a problem that a lot of system wearers would like to have - after two weeks most of your system was still on very solidly; so much so that you ended up bruising yourself by pulling it off. In light of that, I have 2 suggestions. First, why not take advantage of your biological advantage? - keep your system on for longer, so that by the time you come to remove it the adhesive will be a bit less strong. If you get lift at the front hairline, just re-do the front hairline and leave the rest of the attachment in place. Second, there will come time when you do want to remove the whole hairpiece, either because the tape hold is getting weaker, or because you have hair growing under the piece which is starting to get itchy, or maybe just for hygiene reasons. When that time comes, find an edge where you can get some purchase to pull a corner of the tape up, preferably at the back of your unit (you could even deliberately leave a little unattached piece of the perimeter for this purpose). As the edge of the tape comes up, it will be exposing a small surface of the adhesive. Get plenty of 99% isopropyl alcohol under the lifted tape onto that small surface. You can do that in various ways - a make-up pad or a cotton bud soaked in alcohol, or (which is my preferred method) with a squeezable bottle with a long narrow nozzle. The alcohol will break the adhesive bond, but only of the small area which it is touching, so you have to pull the hairpiece forwards gently, applying alcohol all the time on the new adhesive surface as it becomes exposed. The piece should come off easily with a steady even pull. As the back of the piece comes loose, keep it close to your head; don't pull it up, since that will stretch the lace out of shape.

Once you get the whole unit off with the tape on it, you can soak the base in a shallow dish of 99% alcohol. The tape should fall off easily after 10 minutes of soaking.

I have a method for reattaching the system which works for me. I have posted it on the forum a few times. Rather than clog the forum up again with it again, I will PM it to you. Obviously it's not the only method, but you might find it worth trying.

Noah

Last edited: