First time S5 user...

TheEscapist

Established Member
Reaction score
I just got my first ever jar thing of S5 cream, and I just applied it minimally to my hairline and crown (the thinnest areas of hair).

I have some questions about this.

-The cream went to my scalp well enough, but it also made the hair where I applied it very slick and over-gelled looking. That's a bad thing in my case, because it now looks like my front hair is slick-thin, whereas everywhere else looks like regular hair (Most of my hair is only see through under bright focused light, regular day time still looks relatively non-balding). Is this an affect of the cream, or did I just apply it wrong? I didn't use too much, I used less than a finger tip's area worth. Did I just let my hair get too much and not the scalp?

-People who use this and Rogaine as well, how do you apply both in the morning? Do you do Rogaine first and let it dry, or the spironolactone first and let it dry? I'm not sure how to avoid making this a 20 minute long hassle, because both Rogaine and the S5 take a bit to dry (so it seems.)

-I do notice the smell a little bit. Its not hugely apparent, but I'm worried that it will persist throughout the day, and while I might get used to it, other people I'm close to (my girlfriend) will be able to smell it's not-so-aromatic scent. Does the smell dissipate once its set in? If not, is there any way to get the smell to go away?

Hopefully I can find a way to use this well enough and without too much of this hassle. It'd be a b**ch if its always like this though.

Any answers or helpful user experience would be greatly appreciated.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'll forward this thread to the creator so they can take into account your feedback.

I raised the issue of the smell to them in the past, but I'm not sure how Dr. Lee got his to be "scentless". It took him many years before he came out with that version of spironolactone. So it must be a unique trick.

If anyone has any insight, I will make a sincere plea to the S5 guys to modify it accordingly. The lack of smell is worth it.

Admin

abcdefg

Reaction score
Yeah that is kind of why I gave up on it because it makes your hair look a lot worse like its wet all day and Im not sure maintaining is enough to me to be worth the hassle of using it two times a day.

israelite

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i didnt notice smell actully. it amazing how well dr lees version of xandrox was compared to the paint thinner dr parks version

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am incredibly....curious....how Dr Lee managed to be the only person who made a scent free version.

Me too. From what I hear its impossible to have a full 5% in the solution and still have it scent free. After all, the concept of "covering" a scent with another scent has some merit. But covering a scent on a scentless product seems impossible. One would probably have to reduce the % of Spironolactone in the solution to accomplish this.

Does anyone still have any of Dr Lee's spironolactone anywhere? Maybe it could be tested.

Admin

abcdefg

Reaction score
I kind of wonder about the penetration of the cream maybe that is why spironolactone 5 percent doesnt seem to get good results maybe its just not getting delivered properly.