First system, looking for some feedback to get it right the next time

timn420

Reaction score
Hi all,
A couple of months ago I decide to get a system just to try it out and see if it would be something that I could see myself doing. I honestly had no expectations and figured that I would make some mistakes since its my first time at this. I couldn't even figure out what hair style I wanted, but thought it would be fun to try something different since I'm usually wearing a hat anyway.

I purchased a system online and sent it out to get a remote cut in. I just got it back and it just doesn't look right. I cut my bio hair into a fade using a #3 down to a #1 above the ear. However, one side and part of the back of the system looks off and I don't know why. I thought about just shaving my head and trying an undercut, but would like to get an opinion. I'm really just trying to learn more about what I should do better next time.

Attachments

• back.jpg
    back.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 281
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 280
  • left.jpg
    left.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 270
  • right.jpg
    right.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 276

J_D_R

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Your bio hair needs to be longer to match the unit, or you need to get the unit thinned out at the back and sides to blend better.
Growing it to a #6 or #8 at the join would probably work better if you don't want to see a stylist.

albar05

Established Member
Reaction score
Def a blend issue where the system hits your bio hair.. if you sort that out it will be great.

hairhelp777

My Regimen
Reaction score
To me biggest issue seems to be the blend on your bio hair as others has said. Unless you're skilled and have appropriate mirrors it's very difficult to blend your own hair. Need to get a professional to do it. Without a good blend it almost defeats the purpose of investing all the time and money in a hair system.

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It looks like utter shite...and easily spotted as a typical toupee like that.

Hopefully the system hasn't been cut-in too short or it's ruined forever.

Mine I did at home with the bio side/back hair grown out longer. So it looked pretty real at the back and sides blended in.Although still was a bit dense on top as that was a medium density hair system.

Obviously not as good as my display pic. As that was professionally faded/styled.
I sadly never took a pic of the back at the time... But front and sides was bang on amazing!

But during these pandemic times it isn't easy to get a professional to fade it in/style it.
Unless you want to risk a face to face cut-in where both people are wearing masks...

Attachments

• D32E5F0B-CBCA-4F79-B353-30FB4CAF79D3.jpeg
    D32E5F0B-CBCA-4F79-B353-30FB4CAF79D3.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 177
  • 34780F64-E10C-4CB3-B446-99E83BBAD58C.jpeg
    34780F64-E10C-4CB3-B446-99E83BBAD58C.jpeg
    128.3 KB · Views: 181
  • 75C954B1-03FC-4225-97EF-D1D3B793C9D2.jpeg
    75C954B1-03FC-4225-97EF-D1D3B793C9D2.jpeg
    119.3 KB · Views: 186
  • 1E5010C0-9D8A-43BB-8010-D3AAEFFA2D16.jpeg
    1E5010C0-9D8A-43BB-8010-D3AAEFFA2D16.jpeg
    118.1 KB · Views: 195

timn420

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the feedback and commenting.

I will try and grow my bio hair more to try and match the system better. Initially, I was going for a fade but definitely cut my bio hair too short and didn't estimate the blend with my real hair very good. I'm going to contact a local stylist too and see if I can get some help, since its my first time working with a system. It's been a little harder to figure it out even though I've been prepping for weeks.

George Hen

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Agree with the above comments - it’s an easy albeit not quick fix.

It’s always tempting to get the sides shaved or cut short. The reality is that longer bio hair just looks and blends better.

It takes balls to wear so well done, you should be proud of yourself. You’re asking the group of people who will be more critical than anyone but also remember that you’ll never achieve the natural look you want without the odd hardship here and there.
My first system looked terrible too dense and too high but still way better than I look bald so I’d wear it again today if I had to!

timn420

Reaction score
So, I found a local stylist, with a lot of experience to give me a cut in. The hair is a little short on top and I still have to figure out a style for it, but it's blended pretty well.

Attachments

• IMG_6145.jpg
    IMG_6145.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_6148.jpg
    IMG_6148.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_6172.jpg
    IMG_6172.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_6187.jpg
    IMG_6187.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 147

Noah

Reaction score
I think that looks very good. If I saw you in the street I wouldn't suspect for a minute that you were wearing a system.

The only comment I would make, and this really is a nitpicking comment from another system wearer, is that I would get the stylist to cut shorter the very long strands at the back. Hairpiece stylists in the past tended to leave those long strands for blending, but the problem is that even a slight variation in colour over time will make them stand out, which looks a bit "toupee-ish". I would cut them shorter and go for more of very gentle undercut look. Then, if you do eventually experience some colour variance, it will look normal.

For what it is worth, I also think some of the comments on your first cut were way over the top on negativity. As JDR says, it looked like a rather bad haircut, not like a hair system. Most people wouldn't have given it a second glance.

Noah

smoka123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It´s good. It´s the way of hairstyle I like.
It´s age-appropriate and no one would ever guess you´re wearing a system.
This is much more realistic for persistent wearing of a hair system than this YouTube-Models who left the studio with hairs like Bon Jovi 20 years ago.

Blue eyes

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It looks great. I would have your stylist try to take out some of the puffiness in the back with thinning shears and layering from the crown to the back. I wear a for cap and sometimes I have the same problem. You want the hair to look like it's growing in different layers as a natural head of hair appears.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
Looks incredibly realistic now. What exactly was done for the blending? I usually go w/ longer hair coupled with an undercut for ease, because my sides blend so badly otherwise, but now that I've seen the difference here, I'd like to know what the stylish did, so I can try a different style.

Last edited:

timn420

Reaction score
Looks incredibly realistic now. What exactly was done for the blending? I usually go w/ longer hair coupled with an undercut for ease, because my sides blend so badly otherwise, but now that I've seen the difference here, I'd like to know what the stylish did, so I can try a different style.
I'm not sure to be honest. He brought out a pair of hair thinning scissors and went to work. The back piece is longest at 3 inches with the sides around 2". I agree with Noah and Blue Eyes that the back needs a little work with the long strands. I'll probably go back in a couple of weeks and get it fixed.

I still kind of want a more faux hawk style to the front, but I think it looks more believable this way. I look like a regular dude that stepped out of a Sport Clips, which is probably a better way to think at this point.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not sure to be honest. He brought out a pair of hair thinning scissors and went to work. The back piece is longest at 3 inches with the sides around 2". I agree with Noah and Blue Eyes that the back needs a little work with the long strands. I'll probably go back in a couple of weeks and get it fixed.

I still kind of want a more faux hawk style to the front, but I think it looks more believable this way. I look like a regular dude that stepped out of a Sport Clips, which is probably a better way to think at this point.
It looks great. I need to get good w/ clippers.

Blue eyes

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I should buy some thinning shears and watch a youtube video on how to remove density. Some systems I receive only need thinning in specific spots. ThenI dont have to run to the stylist and pay an extra 20-30 bucks for 5 minutes spent working those thinning shears.