First New Hair System Questions: Bonding And Sleeping

Hair56

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all,

I finally went for the hairsystem just over a week ago and I am loving it so far! My only regret is not getting it done way before. I do have a few questions if anyone is happy to help me out.

1. Bonding- The stylist used 1 layer of ghost bond and 1 layer of Walker ultra hold. So far I have only had one minor lift at the front (dabbed the hairline and stuck straight back down) but that's it and I've been out running / gym etc. I've been told it will last 3-4 weeks but I am slightly unsure if it will last that long. Do you normally get any indication when the bond cycle is towards the end e.g Glue seeping through?

2. Sleeping- When I put my head on the pillow I really can't stand the pulling feeling, it feels like I'm ripping the system apart. I am using a silk pillow case. I also wake up with this tension like feeling which then goes after an hour or so. Does anybody use a sleeping cap to help reduce this, or is it just a case of getting used to it?

Thanks

ChromeyFirefox

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've always disliked the 3-4 week claim. It might be true but only for some. You will learn what products work best for you etc over time. But yes.. If its lace the glue will seep through. I'm not sure why they used two different types of glue like that though..

If you're sweating that much then 3-4 weeks is probably optimistic. Check out the recent hair 4 all video about this and how he manages it. (it's like a 17 min video from the past week or two)

I've stopped noticing that pulling feeling in bed. I know exactly what you mean though.

Good luck! Keep learning and it all becomes easier.

Hair56

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. Just out of interest how hard is it to remove some of the glue which seeps through?

Yh will check out that video! I'm not risking 3 weeks bonding at the moment, I'm having it refitted at 2 weeks and building from there.

ChromeyFirefox

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Good plan. Every 2 weeks while you feel it out and build up your confidence.

I've personally struggled to remove the glue that's seeped through, despite suggestions online. Salons manage it though.

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all,

I finally went for the hairsystem just over a week ago and I am loving it so far! My only regret is not getting it done way before. I do have a few questions if anyone is happy to help me out.

1. Bonding- The stylist used 1 layer of ghost bond and 1 layer of Walker ultra hold. So far I have only had one minor lift at the front (dabbed the hairline and stuck straight back down) but that's it and I've been out running / gym etc. I've been told it will last 3-4 weeks but I am slightly unsure if it will last that long. Do you normally get any indication when the bond cycle is towards the end e.g Glue seeping through?

2. Sleeping- When I put my head on the pillow I really can't stand the pulling feeling, it feels like I'm ripping the system apart. I am using a silk pillow case. I also wake up with this tension like feeling which then goes after an hour or so. Does anybody use a sleeping cap to help reduce this, or is it just a case of getting used to it?

Thanks
When you say pulling are you referring to pulling on your own hair under the system or the hair on the system being pulled? If so it won't damage it. Probably a sensation from not being used to it.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
They use a water-based and solvent-based adhesive Together? That's odd. I would certainly suggest a silk pillowcase. Treat yourself to the whole bed set. :)

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
"1. Bonding- The stylist used 1 layer of ghost bond and 1 layer of Walker ultra hold. So far I have only had one minor lift at the front (dabbed the hairline and stuck straight back down) but that's it and I've been out running / gym etc. I've been told it will last 3-4 weeks but I am slightly unsure if it will last that long. Do you normally get any indication when the bond cycle is towards the end e.g Glue seeping through? "

Thank makes no sense whatsoever to me.
Hi all,

A. That adhesive combination makes no sense whatsoever. I believe that quite a number of salons that do this type of work, after reading posts on here, and other forums, have basically no idea of what they are doing. I have clients come in with systems that are cut incorrectly, bonded incorrectly and maintained incorrectly.

B. Being an active person, you don't want this on your head for 3-4 weeks.

C. You know when the bond is breaking down when the edges are lifting and/or the bond starts to seep.

Hair56

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
When you say pulling are you referring to pulling on your own hair under the system or the hair on the system being pulled? If so it won't damage it. Probably a sensation from not being used to it.

It feels like the hair on the system being pulled. It has slightly eased off a little as I have got used to it

Hair56

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
They use a water-based and solvent-based adhesive Together? That's odd. I would certainly suggest a silk pillowcase. Treat yourself to the whole bed set. :)

I will double check with the stylist, but I am pretty sure that's what she said. I've had no issues with it at all for 2 weeks, no glue seeping through or back / sides lifting.

Hair56

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I will double check with the stylist, but I am pretty sure that's what she said. I've had no issues with it at all for 2 weeks, no glue seeping through or back / sides lifting.

I have a silk pillowcase which has definitely helped, but I do get this tension feeling in the morning. Could that be the friction?

Hair56

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
"1. Bonding- The stylist used 1 layer of ghost bond and 1 layer of Walker ultra hold. So far I have only had one minor lift at the front (dabbed the hairline and stuck straight back down) but that's it and I've been out running / gym etc. I've been told it will last 3-4 weeks but I am slightly unsure if it will last that long. Do you normally get any indication when the bond cycle is towards the end e.g Glue seeping through? "

Thank makes no sense whatsoever to me.

Hi,
I'm having it refitted this week so I will double check! I'm sure it was a combo though. To be honest I've had no issues at all, no glue seeping through and no sides/ back lifting. I sometimes give it a robust tug and nothing it does not move!

Yh I didn't want to take any chances with 3 weeks, so I'm having it refitted at the 2 week mark, and slowly building from there.

Hair56

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm having it refitted this week so I will double check! I'm sure it was a combo though. To be honest I've had no issues at all, no glue seeping through and no sides/ back lifting. I sometimes give it a robust tug and nothing it does not move!

Yh I didn't want to take any chances with 3 weeks, so I'm having it refitted at the 2 week mark, and slowly building from there.

What would you recommend in terms of adhesives then?

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
What would you recommend in terms of adhesives then?
Adhedived are a very personal thing, Has everyone's body chemistry is unique. You've got to use what works best for you. Not to say that it's bad to use both together. It's just kind of unheard of and unconventional. But if you're getting a solid 2 weeks out of it, maybe we need to try it. :)

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have a silk pillowcase which has definitely helped, but I do get this tension feeling in the morning. Could that be the friction?
I don't think you would get a pulling feeling from friction. Maybe when the system was put on it was stretched a little and it's holding tension on your scalp. Most of us have to do that as the system ages and shrinks. Maybe they cut it a little too small and stretched it to fit.

Hair56

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think you would get a pulling feeling from friction. Maybe when the system was put on it was stretched a little and it's holding tension on your scalp. Most of us have to do that as the system ages and shrinks. Maybe they cut it a little too small and stretched it to fit.

Yh I'm still getting that tension feeling at the back! It feels like something is pulling it down. Any advice?

Hair56

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

Welcome to the club lol! Honestly the best decision was getting a hair system and my only regret was not getting it sooner. There is a lot to learn as I've only been wearing for 3 weeks but it's so worth it.

Ha I'm not sure I can pull that cap off lol! But I did order a similar one. I dont tend to feel it as much as I did before so don't really use it.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

Welcome to the club lol! Honestly the best decision was getting a hair system and my only regret was not getting it sooner. There is a lot to learn as I've only been wearing for 3 weeks but it's so worth it.

Ha I'm not sure I can pull that cap off lol! But I did order a similar one. I dont tend to feel it as much as I did before so don't really use it.
Keep in mind the satin and silk are not to stop a feeling. Cotton is wicking meaning it's not only abrasive but also pulls moisture out of the hair. This is the reason for using satin or silk.