First full lace system: what a massive learning curve!

jimlad

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all

So I'm 11 days into my first lace system and I'm already trying to book a fitting for a new system (will hang on for a month). This is not a post designed to knock lace systems; quite the opposite in fact. I'm actually just pissed at myself. I knew that this would take a lot more care and attention, but I really wasn't ready for it! I've stretched it out of shape, torn it (well, cut it with scissors when I was trying to remove tape whilst drunk...) and stripped the hair off the front hairline to the point where I've had to trim the lace back already.

Basically, I can't have nice things!!!

Anyways, I have a couple of questions that perhaps some of you can help with...

1) How 'snug' should the base fit be? I was used to stretching my UTS system taut, but I think that this tactic has damaged the lace base. I literally have to pull really hard so it reaches all of the sides. Could it be that my stylist should have done a new template for the new base material?

2) Well, there is no 2. Basically, I just want you to tell me that I CAN have nice things, and that I CAN do this. Lace systems are, it seems, far superior to skin. I'm also aware that they should last longer. Any advice will be hugely appreciated!!!

P.S. Should say I'm far from new to wearing. I've used skins for over 2 years, and have used a lace front before.

jeepwrangler

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Lace systems are, it seems, far superior to skin. I'm also aware that they should last longer

How so? I'm new to this so I'm genuinely curious. I'm looking for another system as well (as a backup at least.)

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why did you change from UTS to lace?

I've worn UTS for a couple of years now (since I started wearing) and I could never go to lace, simply because UTS is so easy to deal with. Lace sounds like a nightmare what with the C22, lace release, waiting for bond to break down, seepage, knots loosening etc! Then again, UTS isn't perfect either and it will get hot in summer, and the hairline might not be as perfect as lace (I'm guessing?).

I am very interested in why you switched and what you think of UTS versus lace.

Noah

Reaction score
Lace systems are, it seems, far superior to skin. I'm also aware that they should last longer. Any advice will be hugely appreciated!!!
How so? I'm new to this so I'm genuinely curious. I'm looking for another system as well (as a backup at least.)

I think it would be more accurate to say that lace systems should last longer than injected skin systems. Knotting is simply a more durable way of attaching the hairs to the base than injection, and there is less shedding.

jimlad

Established Member
Reaction score
Why did you change from UTS to lace?

I've worn UTS for a couple of years now (since I started wearing) and I could never go to lace, simply because UTS is so easy to deal with. Lace sounds like a nightmare what with the C22, lace release, waiting for bond to break down, seepage, knots loosening etc! Then again, UTS isn't perfect either and it will get hot in summer, and the hairline might not be as perfect as lace (I'm guessing?).

I am very interested in why you switched and what you think of UTS versus lace.
I like UTS for all of the reasons you've stated. My reason for changing was:

- I found that, although the hairline is initially undetectable, after a while of gathering dirt etc it becomes more visible, and cleaning it ends up just damaging it

- The sweat issue was manageable but I knew there were better options. I can assure you that lace is superior for anyone who works out.

Right now, my instinct is telling me just to go back to UTS because lace is a massive faff, but I'd like to give it another go as I think the benefits are worth the hassle.

jimlad

Established Member
Reaction score
Also, I'm planning to travel fairly extensively in a year or so, in some hot climates. No way am I doing that in a UTS, so going to get used to lace while I have the chance.

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think it would be more accurate to say that lace systems should last longer than injected skin systems. Knotting is simply a more durable way of attaching the hairs to the base than injection, and there is less shedding.

Injected skin systems don't really shed IME, the hair is really sealed in there. The hair eventually becomes brittle and breaks off at the base, but it doesn't shed. The first system i had was all lace, and it lasted about 4 months. After that, I switched to injected skin- not thin skin, mind you, it was a .12mm opaque base. I experimented with different styles, and after 18 months or so the hair was pretty dry and starting to break, I then cut it extremely short with clippers and it survived another year with no further breakage until the base began to deteriorate.

The realism put the lace piece utterly to shame too. I've been wearing a .08mm translucent injected skin base recently and it's not in the same league as the .12 opaque base as far as the insanely real scalp appearance, so YMMV. But the crown appearance in my estimation is still better than lace. You can't expose the hairline unless you have some kind of custom hybrid system, and it doesn't "breathe". For a short and forward style it's just the ticket, though. I use v-loop skins for up and back styles, and they shed much more rapidly than the injected skins i've worn.

Last edited:

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I can get 6-8 mos out of a v-loop thin skin *if i let i let it evolve*. The last couple of months are a real headache with "emergency repairs" if I can't secure a replacement, which had been an issue during COVID.

Injected skin - reliably 18 mos unless i style it in a way that fights the "forward from crown" ventilation pretty aggressively, which, i mean, just use a different kind of hairpiece if and when that's what you want to do. Keeping the hair hydrated is a losing battle after that amount of time, shedding or no. And up to 24+ mos for extremely short styles where dryness is not really noticeable.

jeepwrangler

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I can get 6-8 mos out of a v-loop thin skin *if i let i let it evolve*. The last couple of months are a real headache with "emergency repairs" if I can't secure a replacement, which had been an issue during COVID.

Injected skin - reliably 18 mos unless i style it in a way that fights the "forward from crown" ventilation pretty aggressively, which, i mean, just use a different kind of hairpiece if and when that's what you want to do. Keeping the hair hydrated is a losing battle after that amount of time, shedding or no. And up to 24+ mos for extremely short styles where dryness is not really noticeable.
This post is blowing my mind. Injected skin 18 months? The same unit worn daily?

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, the same unit worn daily. Depending on your willingness to wear something that's a little past its prime. The hair is not going to be silky and lustrous after 18 months of wearing if every day, no matter how much you baby it. I end up buzzing them all down at or before that point anyway. At that length, the hair can be fried and it looks about the same :)

Jake1979

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey all

So I'm 11 days into my first lace system and I'm already trying to book a fitting for a new system (will hang on for a month). This is not a post designed to knock lace systems; quite the opposite in fact. I'm actually just pissed at myself. I knew that this would take a lot more care and attention, but I really wasn't ready for it! I've stretched it out of shape, torn it (well, cut it with scissors when I was trying to remove tape whilst drunk...) and stripped the hair off the front hairline to the point where I've had to trim the lace back already.

Basically, I can't have nice things!!!

Anyways, I have a couple of questions that perhaps some of you can help with...

1) How 'snug' should the base fit be? I was used to stretching my UTS system taut, but I think that this tactic has damaged the lace base. I literally have to pull really hard so it reaches all of the sides. Could it be that my stylist should have done a new template for the new base material?

2) Well, there is no 2. Basically, I just want you to tell me that I CAN have nice things, and that I CAN do this. Lace systems are, it seems, far superior to skin. I'm also aware that they should last longer. Any advice will be hugely appreciated!!!

P.S. Should say I'm far from new to wearing. I've used skins for over 2 years, and have used a lace front before.
Man you had me cracking up with that "I can't have nice things" line LOL
You're a trip man!
I wish I could be of help but you know my story well, as we've communicated a good bit (and you've given me great help and support and encouragement especially thru my early rough stages, big thanks to u brother for that!) But u know I'm super new and sadly i don't know much :(

This is my first system and lace with poly borders on sides and back.
As far as stretching base when attaching, I pay very close attention to stylist when she's doing her thing and she's never stretched it or put any tension on it when attaching...just very relaxed and lays in down, and it fits snug all the way around.

As far as lace longevity, mine is 2 months in and doing quite well with shedding. It tends to look a bit thin in front hairline but I think that's from adhesive from tape on hairline mixing with sweat and sticking hairs together making them look thin. That area always looks fuller after I wash it.

I have heard lace is tougher maintenance than poly or uts, but hopefully u can learn now and be a pro by the time u go on your travels next year.
Plus as much as u run and work out and play sports I think lace will be your best friend in the long run.
Keep at it man, I'll bet you'll be teaching a course on it in no time!

And don't ever drink and perform maintenance duties on your
system LOL
Friends don't let friends drink and work on their hair system :)

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Or go with a hybrid like mine.
Poly around the entire edge,french lace everywhere else.
Mine has what looks like a tiny bit of Swiss lace at the front too.

Attachments

• 7A101AD0-8E9E-490A-8FE8-17385DC88B04.jpeg
    7A101AD0-8E9E-490A-8FE8-17385DC88B04.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 1E52996F-6B06-4B9F-92A2-A2382B8158D9.jpeg
    1E52996F-6B06-4B9F-92A2-A2382B8158D9.jpeg
    171.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 39721020-18C6-49E8-A795-9BAE812EE392.jpeg
    39721020-18C6-49E8-A795-9BAE812EE392.jpeg
    166.5 KB · Views: 110

Jake1979

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just didn't realize how much easier poly is to work with than lace.
Jason from hair system talk on YouTube was doing poly units and then went to a lace (poly sides and back) and says in this video that it was a bit more challenging and difficult to apply, and he's a pretty skilled guy with applications and maintenance.
I want to try poly as I'm learning that it may be a bit more user friendly

jimlad

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m back in skin for the next couple of weeks (3rd system in a month - &@*! you Lord Hair!!). It is sooo much easier. If you’re new to systems, it’s the way to go. I’m taking another run at lace soon though.

Jake1979

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m back in skin for the next couple of weeks (3rd system in a month - &@*! you Lord Hair!!). It is sooo much easier. If you’re new to systems, it’s the way to go. I’m taking another run at lace soon though.
Ah man, sorry to hear about that bad run with systems bro! I appreciate u sharing that experience with us on LH, I was on the fence but definitely not gonna even try them.

Yea I'm thinking for a Newbie like myself I may do well to try a poly next. And I know u are quite active with the fitness and running so if it works for u maybe it'll work for me.