Fireman's Story - (Quit finasteride/PROPECIA) Update 1/9/10

fireman

Reaction score
Re: Fireman's Story - (21 yr old NW7 destined) Update 5/3/09

Well I started this thread when I had already been taking finasteride for around 6 months, and I'm pretty sure that the itching was not a problem before I started the medication. Hair wasn't too bad when I started finasteride but it still bothered me a ton so I wanted to do something about it. I still had nice thick hair for the first 4 or so months on finasteride but decided to buzz it down because it began to be too much of a hassle to style and just looked like crap to me.

I never really noticed any decrease in shedding at all while taking it. My hair just gradually got worse just like it had been before I started. I'm not even sure if finasteride did anything at all. I guess I'll find that out soon though if I awake to a massive shed one morning...only time will tell.

I do have to say that my scalp has felt better these 2 weeks I have been off it. Could just be in my head though. Been buzzing super short lately and I think I look alright with that and a bit of facial hair.

Anyways thanks for the advice guys but I'm gonna stay off the finasteride for now and see how things turn out. :punk: :hump:

edit: btw I'm still using nizoral 1%, love that sh*t it really makes a difference in thickness. I recommend that to everyone just don't use it too often and use a good conditioner after.

fireman

Reaction score
Re: Fireman's Story - (21 yr old NW7 destined) Update 5/3/09

Alright it's been a little over a month since I've been off finasteride. I haven't noticed any increase in shedding or anything as of yet. If anything, it seems like there has been a decrease in shedding although it is very likely that this is just in my head.

My left temple might have receded a bit but it has been receding the whole time I've been on finasteride.

I've also been on a course of tamoxifen for almost 2 weeks now to combat the slight gyno I developed from finasteride. My nipples have been feeling itchy and looked a little more puffy these past few months, which is one of the reasons I'm quitting the drug. I could deal with that if finasteride actually stopped my hairloss though...but why have man tits and hairloss at the same time? screw that :thumbdown2:

Anyways I'll still keep you guys updated...I know 1 month isn't enough time off the drug to see if it really had an impact on my hair.

fireman

Reaction score
Just wanted to update since it's been a while.

I think it's been around 4 months or so since I've been off finasteride and I haven't noticed any increased shedding. Maybe a little more temple loss but my temples were receding at the same rate even while I was on finasteride. I still don't think finasteride did anything for me besides give me increased scalp irritation.