Finasteride

Jaygee

Established Member
Reaction score
Axon--thanks for answering my earlier post. How long have you been on Finasteride? Badhairdecade's situation has got me freaked, since he's had great results but now has some sort of lump on the breast(?) Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is "gyno"?

I suppose there is no way to know if the sexual side effects will occur and how extreme they will be. What really worries me are two things---the reports that these effects DON'T go away, even after discontinued use, and the untapped possiblities that the stuff is carcinogenic---or something else in that direction.

Almost every report I read about the stuff is negative or dubious. I realize it works for some people, including you, but can that 83% figure really be possible? I don't know much about the FDA---is it known for being easily hoodwinked in the past?

MOE

Reaction score
Hey whats up,

If you were wondering about Propecia experience, I've been on it for 5 years and going. i started on it when i was 19. First few eeks i couldn't get IT up. But that passed and my libido returned to norm within a couple of months - had a small balding spot at the back of my head but that grew over. But recently within the last year - maybe i'm obsessing but my hair has thinned back there and i am now recently gone on 5% rogaine to see how thast works. I feel like for the most part its held my hair line and until recently my crown area. Atleast it has slowed down my hair loss. Just if u wanted to know

Axon

Reaction score
Jaygee said:
Axon--thanks for answering my earlier post. How long have you been on Finasteride? Badhairdecade's situation has got me freaked, since he's had great results but now has some sort of lump on the breast(?) Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is "gyno"?

I suppose there is no way to know if the sexual side effects will occur and how extreme they will be. What really worries me are two things---the reports that these effects DON'T go away, even after discontinued use, and the untapped possiblities that the stuff is carcinogenic---or something else in that direction.

Almost every report I read about the stuff is negative or dubious. I realize it works for some people, including you, but can that 83% figure really be possible? I don't know much about the FDA---is it known for being easily hoodwinked in the past?

Gyno ("gynecomastia") or man breasts.

Here: http://www.gynecomastia.org/content/tre ... lery.shtml

The horror. Those are severe cases, and you'll notice that Finasteride isn't on the "priority" list of gyno causing drugs.

I've been on Finasteride for approximately 20 months now, and I have not suffered a side effect. Most of what I hear on these forums I dismiss as overreaction - look at some of the photos people post. They cry how terrible their hair is, but the photos show little to no loss.

But I digress. Your concerns are legitimate and if the drug isn't for you, it isn't for you. Our fearless leader, HairLossTalk.com, has dropped Finasteride and is now using topical spironolactone and Revivogen in the hopes of duplicating the results he got on Propecia.

As for the documented results, I think the FDA's numbers are accurate. There will always be the conspiracy theorists wearing aluminum foil helmets to keep the government out of their brains, but IMHO, Finasteride as a hair loss drug lives up to the results of the clinical trials.

I dunno man, you gotta make this decision. I didn't think the treatments would work for me either, I'm never lucky, I don't win anything, I usually get the short end of the stick. But man, this time - I won out. Big time. I don't know where I'd be without my hair loss regimen....

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
I wouldn't be too freaked over finasteride. I still say it's a pretty damn safe drug. As far as people overreacting...you can usually weed them out.

All drugs have side effects. It's just a matter of dealing with it if/when they occur and not obsess over them before anything is noticed. I think my case is very rare and it's not official yet. When the Doctor tells me yea it's gyno then I'll know for sure. I've had mild gyno before from steroids and it's not that big of a deal as long as it's delt with early.

Jaygee

Established Member
Reaction score
"birds 'n bees...."

Thanks.

But there's another thing---there is contradictory info everywhere about whether or not you can impregnate a woman while on the stuff. I don't have a girlfriend but in case these things happen, I don't want to be responsible for the creation of a physically (or mentally?) disadvantaged human being. My God, the guilt.

Some articles and sites say intercourse is harmless, others say to avoid it. They are all consistent about women not handling crushed tablets, though.

This is the number one issue my parents have with helping me pay for this stuff, so I wish I knew what was what. Would any of you guys swear by one answer or the other?

BTW, if anyone saw my first post----from what you can tell, should I just give up the minoxidil? Trouble is I'm afraid to now.

Jaygee

Established Member
Reaction score
"birds 'n bees...."

Thanks.

But there's another thing---there is contradictory info everywhere about whether or not you can impregnate a woman while on the stuff. I don't have a girlfriend but in case these things happen, I don't want to be responsible for the creation of a physically (or mentally?) disadvantaged human being. My God, the guilt.

Some articles and sites say intercourse is harmless, others say to avoid it. They are all consistent about women not handling crushed tablets, though.

This is the number one issue my parents have with helping me pay for this stuff, so I wish I knew what was what. Would any of you guys swear by one answer or the other?

BTW, if anyone saw my first post----from what you can tell, should I just give up the minoxidil? Trouble is I'm afraid to now.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
The only thing I would put my trust in is the Merck literature. I wouldn't beleive anything else unless there was a study done to prove it.

Honestly I have yet to read anything that says it causes birth defects. Where did you read this stuff?

Jaygee

Established Member
Reaction score
Why the heck are all my posts showing up as doubles? :oops:

Various online pharmacies (found by a simple google search for "propecia") and other hair loss sites here and there say this. Merck itself says that women can get birth defects by touching broken tablets but that semen shouldn't be a problem. I heard they used to warn against intercourse, but that they've removed that disclaimer. (can't remember where I saw that part...maybe it was here.)

If this were all that was out there I wouldn't sweat it too much, but again, various pharmacies say to avoid intercourse. Logic says that a sane company wouldn't be cavalier about such a drastic possiblity and whitewash it in the interests of raking in more dough, but it's a little too easy to be paranoid, sez I.

Axon

Reaction score
There are no proven cases of birth defects from Finasteride. If a web site says that, it's only to cover their *** - remember, they're selling the stuff illegally and can easily be held liable for any number of insane claims from a psycho who blames all his problems on Finasteride.

You seem sold on not taking the stuff. I suggest you look into other anti-androgens.

Jaygee

Established Member
Reaction score
No. I hadn't really planned on letting any of these things stop me, simply because at this stage in my life I'm too emotionally attached to the keratin on the top of my head. I just wanted to get a better idea of potential risks, in case I'm one of the tragically afflicted. I can only hope that I will be one of the lucky ones.

I really appreciate your responses.

Incidentally, when you refer to other anti-androgens, are you refering to Dustasteride or Revivogen? Or dare I mention----Crinagen or Procerin?

Axon

Reaction score
Revivogen and spironolactone.

Frankly I think 99% of the side effects you hear about on these forums are complete and utter bullshit.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
Axon said:

Frankly I think 99% of the side effects you hear about on these forums are complete and utter bullshit.

yea I used to think the same thing until they started happeneing to me.

Jaygee

Established Member
Reaction score
Badhairdecade: Re the side effects---How's your situation doing, btw?

Would you say more people than not experienced Telogen Effluvium with Propecia? It concerns me because, like I said, I lose about 140 hairs in every shower, and goodness knows how many throughout the rest of the day. It's a wonder to me that my natural cycles so far keep up with this maybe about 80% (meaning that I'd estimate I've lost 20% of density up there---still not noticeable execpt wet). Some people say they never stopped shedding even after discontinuing, and never regained what they had lost.

That, more than anything else to me, is the ultimate crapshoot in this game. Go so far as to call it betting the farm, perhaps?

Axon

Reaction score
BadHairDecade said:
Axon said:

yea I used to think the same thing until they started happeneing to me.

I just can't buy into it - all the exageration, the clear panic....it doesn't add up to me.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
Jaygee,

As far as Telogen Effluvium It's really impossible to say or give a percentage. Honestly I haven't really read up too much on Telogen Effluvium since I've never had a problem with it. finasteride has pretty much stopped any excessive hairloss I've had.

My SE's: I've had a little loss in libido but nothing alarming. Just need a little jump start in the beginning then everything seems to work perfectly. The gyno thing: It's still there. The lump has stayed pretty much the same. I had my woman feel it and she definitely says there's something there too. Her heart dropped at first but then I told her it was most likely a side effect of the finasteride and nothing serious. She had breast cancer recently. Now that sucked. After seeing that I feel pretty desensitized to any ailments that might come my way. Except my hairloss of course :D I gotta tell ya...I wish my head was shaped like hers. When she lost her hair from chemo and I shaved her head. Call me crazy but she looked really good. She has an awesome shaped head. ok I'm rambling now :lol:

Axon,

I hear ya. Like I said before you can usually weed out the paranoid posts. My favorites are the ones that say "oh my god all my hair has fallen out from finasteride" then they show you a picture of a hairline that has maybe receded 1mm on 1 temple. So ok maybe 65% of them may be BS.

G

what exactly would happen to a women whos not pregnant, if she came in contact with a broken tab of finasteride. Would she mutate into the hulk or somthing. :shock: But really, why can't they touch the finasteride, what would happen?

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
badasshairday said:
what exactly would happen to a women whos not pregnant, if she came in contact with a broken tab of finasteride. Would she mutate into the hulk or somthing. :shock: But really, why can't they touch the finasteride, what would happen?

All info is listed with the instructions that came with your finasteride. You can also go here
http://www.propecia.com/propecia/cns/ppi/nottake.html

Cassin

Reaction score
BadHairDecade said:
badasshairday said:

All info is listed with the instructions that came with your finasteride. You can also go here
http://www.propecia.com/propecia/cns/ppi/nottake.html

It's what Tom Ridge would call an "Overabundance of caution."

Axon

Reaction score
BadHairDecade said:
Jaygee,

As far as Telogen Effluvium It's really impossible to say or give a percentage. Honestly I haven't really read up too much on Telogen Effluvium since I've never had a problem with it. finasteride has pretty much stopped any excessive hairloss I've had.

My SE's: I've had a little loss in libido but nothing alarming. Just need a little jump start in the beginning then everything seems to work perfectly. The gyno thing: It's still there. The lump has stayed pretty much the same. I had my woman feel it and she definitely says there's something there too. Her heart dropped at first but then I told her it was most likely a side effect of the finasteride and nothing serious. She had breast cancer recently. Now that sucked. After seeing that I feel pretty desensitized to any ailments that might come my way. Except my hairloss of course :D I gotta tell ya...I wish my head was shaped like hers. When she lost her hair from chemo and I shaved her head. Call me crazy but she looked really good. She has an awesome shaped head. ok I'm rambling now :lol:

Axon,

I hear ya. Like I said before you can usually weed out the paranoid posts. My favorites are the ones that say "oh my god all my hair has fallen out from finasteride" then they show you a picture of a hairline that has maybe receded 1mm on 1 temple. So ok maybe 65% of them may be BS.

Well, this is a subjective issue, so I won't debate you....but yeah, a lot of it is just exaggeration.

Anyway, I was convinced I had Gyno for about a year....turned out it was nothing more than fat. My nipples were puffy since about 20 or so, I just didn't want to admit it to myself....

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
fat is not gyno....I have fat on my chest. My gyno symptoms are a hard lump under the nipple. It feels like a hard lima bean right beneath the skin surface. Other early symptoms can be very sensitive or itchy nips. But if they just start looking puffy it's probably just time to diet.