Finasteride Yay Or Nay ** Is It A Must

Nimatus

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi

So for last few years I've seen gradual thinking on top of head, temples and crown of course too. I've been taken vitamins so on,
Saw Palmetto 320mg Doctors Best
Zinz 25 mg
Biotin 10,000 mcg
& B Complex has this helped, I would say yes, it has made loss very close, but no regrowth to speak off.
I also use Nisim hairloss shampoo and Nizoral mixed in , this is great in my opinion, Nisim really does reduce hair fall, it's a proven shampoo for such.
My problem is regrowth, closing things is one thing but regrowing is the ultimate goal for everyone. I've never used Finasteride, I can get an online prescription easily but so many stories on here, some negative, some made up, some success stories. How can one make an informed decision with such a mixed bag of views.
I don't want to go on this and find I end up losing huge amounts of hair like some claim, coupled with sides and find that it has only make the problem far worse.
I'd like to try it as small doses, say 5mg cut into 10. Is it possible to crush tablet and cut into ten equal piles and simply stir one tenth into a drink and take it that way?
Hair transplant is another option. I would of course use the best possible person for this and the results should be great, as that guy in Madrid is amazing. The fact I lose hair so slow, and fact I have it under some control with my regeem should mean a hair transplant is a good option?
But the finasteride is a care free approach, if it regrows and it's a long term solution.

Is finasteride an absolute must in the fight against hair loss ? What topical other than minoxidil is there, I used that but it was very messy in hair and caused a lot of white debris in hair. Plus a build up of gunk on scalp, that is not nice, plus is caused a shed and I never saw it regrow, and it did use it for 8 months plus.

RickyH

My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride completely destroyed my density after 18 months of steady usage. I'd say a resounding NAY

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
An effective anti androgen is a must

in most cases finasteride tends to be the best one as far as safety/efficacy

Nimatus

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride completely destroyed my density after 18 months of steady usage. I'd say a resounding NAY

Wow first reply is a absolute Nay . They they the side effects effect 3%, yet on forums like this it's like it effects 99.9% and there is always 0.01 that it has no effect on. How can there be such a discrepancy in the %s . I want to try it ,but I need to heard from people who have had long term success

abcdefg

Reaction score
Yes I would say you need it. As we see it doesnt work for everyone because its not all fully understood, but your odds for it helping are pretty good.
I dont see anything realistically replacing or making finasteride obsolete for years at the bare minimum. Even if something else worked say brotzu I think your still looking at combining finasteride with new things. AAs are just too useful, and work too well to be easily replaced.
There are good reasons we still use finasteride 30 years later although I will admit I wish we had other topical safer alternatives. The idea of a life long drug just to simply keep my hair isnt my idea of fun.

Jude79

Reaction score
Absolute yes! I was on it for 8 years and have zero complaints. Yes I did have an initial shed but my hair came back in thicker. I didn't regrow any hair.... well maybe marginally. What it does for most is buy time.... I would be completely slick if it wasn't for finasteride at this stage. To be honest I think it's a must.... I've tried the lot and nothing comes close to it. Best of luck with your choice!

furrydome

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Is finasteride an absolute must in the fight against hair loss ? What topical other than minoxidil is there

If you want to protect your whole head right now against the balding process, you need finasteride or dutasteride, there's no way around it. Seti or Fevi might work in the future, but that's still experimental. All of that will be obsolete if RCH-01 (from Shiseido/Replicel) ends up working, which supposedly gives you full immunity from the balding process with just 1 treatment.

As for topicals, just read this forum, there are literally dozens of topicals that different people swear by. Most of them don't have much evidence behind them though. Minoxidil is still the top dog.

The more you read, the better you'll learn to treat your own hair loss. If you care about it, be ready to put some time into it.

Dazz_nz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ive just hit the 3month mark of taking .5mg daily. I had a drop in libido for a couple of weeks and watery jizz. Had no problem with getting it up though, I just didnt have the desire like normal. Libido was a wee bit up and down from then. Was already eating clean, but I considerable cleaned it up more and got back into working out and now I have no side effects appart from watery jizz every now and then. It was hit with a bit of a shed after 2 months. Im still shedding a bit but it seems that its my hairline thats taken the hit. There are now lots of very fine hairs growing in my hairline and theres shitloads of even smaller ones all over my temples. But im not sure if finasteride will thicken them up yet because its only 3 months but im pretty hopefull along with the other stuff im doing. You could just try it out at a lower dose and see if you have sides and if you do and they seem to be serious or not going away then stop taking it. But I guess its a bit of a gamble either way.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride didn't work for me either, dare I say made things worse but that's a story for another time. Op put on your big boy pants and start popping dutasteride, spironolactone, oral minoxidil and better add in RU to perserve that hairline!

furrydome

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride didn't work for me either, dare I say made things worse but that's a story for another time. Op put on your big boy pants and start popping dutasteride, spironolactone, oral minoxidil and better add in RU to perserve that hairline!

This is pretty extreme for someone who hasn't even tried finasteride, but it's hard to argue with a guy sporting the best avatar on HairLossTalk.com.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is pretty extreme for someone who hasn't even tried finasteride, but it's hard to argue with a guy sporting the best avatar on HairLossTalk.com.
Haha I know how to pick em ;) I was joking but it's not uncommon for users on here to be on extreme regimens, I've tried most with exceptions on dutasteride and RU. Got nothing against RU but I'm not a fan of topicals