Finasteride To Dutasteride (ex-long Term finasteride Users)

neddy2016

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have only taken Duta for 2 weeks so far, but i remember the first time i went on Finasteride i had a huge emotional breakdown, i felt like crap and cried almost every day for about a week before i started to feel better, so i know these things can have some effect fairly quickly if it has a shock to your system.

Duta so far is almost like its taken the place of finasteride now. if i had to voice any side effects for both so far is an itchy scalp, slightly more dulled libido and my mood is often dulled aswell

iamgotham

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have only taken Duta for 2 weeks so far, but i remember the first time i went on Finasteride i had a huge emotional breakdown, i felt like crap and cried almost every day for about a week before i started to feel better, so i know these things can have some effect fairly quickly if it has a shock to your system.

Duta so far is almost like its taken the place of finasteride now. if i had to voice any side effects for both so far is an itchy scalp, slightly more dulled libido and my mood is often dulled aswell

It’s too early for you to have any kind of results. If everything goes well, I think that you should see some improvement around month 6. Just stick to the treatment and try to forget about hair loss (I know, it’s the most difficult part).

Regarding side effects, don’t forget that people like us are anxious and depressed because of this condition. Sometimes I believe that can be easily confused with side effects.

Good luck @neddy2016!

skinnyshaft

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
1 - Prior to Dutasteride, for how many years did you use Finasteride?
About 13 I think.

2 - What were your results with Finasteride?
Hard to tell. I still continued to recede but very gradually. Maybe it would've been much worse without the drug. I'd never know.

3 - Why did you made the switch?
Last September 2017, I started noticing a lot more hairs in the shower. This shedding continued to persist (although it did coincide with my mum being ill and a very stressful point in my life). However, the shedding continued and, fearing that finasteride had lost its efficacy, I switched to Dutasteride in March/April 2018,

4 - Do you take Dutasteride everyday?
0.5mg every day

5 - Comment your results using Dutasteride (shedding, maintenance, regrowth, side-effects);
At the 6 month mark, all I've noticed to date is very heavy shedding. Possibly as many as 200 hairs when I wash my hair in the shower every 2-3 days. I've been trying very hard not to freak out, but obviously it's scary! Think my hair has thinned a little - maybe - it's very hard to tell. Actually I compared my hair in photos to 3 years ago and it doesn't look any worse although I did have a hair transplant in the meantine to bulk the hairline.

Sides? Hard to tell. As with finasteride, my libido could be up and down. One month I could be randy and have normal orgasms, other times, my libido might be low, my orgasms weak and sperm watery. It's no different on Dutasteride. Hard to say if the meds is even repsonsible. Generally, I'd say I've not had any sides.

6 - For how long have you been using Dutasteride?

Just reached the 6 month mark. Universal consensus is that I need to give these drugs at least a year. 6 months is still too early, even with all the shedding. Some people even say that the shedding is a sign that the drug is working.

Beowulf

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Just reached the 6 month mark. Universal consensus is that I need to give these drugs at least a year. 6 months is still too early, even with all the shedding. Some people even say that the shedding is a sign that the drug is working.

I must admit when I started finasteride I didn't notice any shedding. When my temples started to regrow I noticed that they had periods of growing and shedding, and while in the short term it may have been shocking in the long term it was encouraging. Some part of me wonders whether I'm considering taking duta simply so I can relive the excitement of watching me hair grow, fall out and come back stronger.

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
Good thread. I'm coming up 3 years on finasteride however I'm tempted to add in dutasteride a couple of days a week as I'm starting to notice some more shedding and some possible thinning on my crown.

1knox1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Good thread. I'm coming up 3 years on finasteride however I'm tempted to add in dutasteride a couple of days a week as I'm starting to notice some more shedding and some possible thinning on my crown.

I’m contemplating it too. We could do with cb 03, couldn’t we? Something else to add.

The acne trials have just announced good results from phase 3, so hopefully it’s on the horizon.

Ninja Turtle

My Regimen
Reaction score
I need something to add to my dutasteride regimen. Thinking of trying PRP.
Don’t bother with PRP. The results are even more modest than LLLT and its more expensive. Just invest in the cheapest laser comb and use that. I truly believe that someone on dutasteride, nizoral, minoxidil, LLLT and with a good diet could never lose hair.

GP004

My Regimen
Reaction score
1 - 15 years on Finasteride.
2 - I had GREAT results. The combination of Finasteride + minoxidil basically halted my hair loss for those 15 years.
3 - For the last 10 months my hair loss has accelerated dramatically. I basically went from thick, great hair to thin, diffuse hair, particularly in the front and crown area. The hair loss has been associated with an itchiness and tingling in the scalp. Unfortunately, it seemed like my old regimen was no longer working so I needed something stronger and I switched from Finasteride to Dutasteride
4 - I take 0.5mg of Dutasteride daily.
5 - I have not seen any results with Dutasteride yet and my hair loss has progressed badly.
6 - Been on Dutasteride for a little over 2 months. Hopefully that's too short to determine how helpful it will be. I still try to use minoxidil in my regimen, but my scalp seems very sensitive to it now after years with no problems.

You had 15 years of great results. Further words superfluous. Suspect 99% here would be happy with that ??

iamgotham

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I quitted after a month and a half.

Now I'm giving it another shot. Started again 14 days ago.

So guys, 30 days have gone by and the only thing to report is that I'm shedding like a dog, I easily lose 500 hairs a day (if not more).

I don't know what's happening, probably I'm not a good responder to the drug (I can't find any positive stories from people that recovered from this kind of shed).

This is really depressing...

skinnyshaft

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So guys, 30 days have gone by and the only thing to report is that I'm shedding like a dog, I easily lose 500 hairs a day (if not more).

I don't know what's happening, probably I'm not a good responder to the drug (I can't find any positive stories from people that recovered from this kind of shed).

This is really depressing...

What was your daily shed like before you started the drug?

iamgotham

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What was your daily shed like before you started the drug?

I’m shedding tons of hair since August, when first I had the chicken pox, then in the following month I had Mono and continued to shed tons of hair.

Today I just counted the hairs between showering and combing, the total amount? 400 hairs! This is almost cartoonish, now I guess that during a day I probably lose 800 to 1000 hairs...!

I just wanted to get back to my regular shed pre-diseases... Overall my hair seems thicker, but I guess that the volume decreased substantially.

Yakitori

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
1 - Prior to Dutasteride, for how many years did you use Finasteride?
About 13 I think.

2 - What were your results with Finasteride?
Hard to tell. I still continued to recede but very gradually. Maybe it would've been much worse without the drug. I'd never know.

3 - Why did you made the switch?
Last September 2017, I started noticing a lot more hairs in the shower. This shedding continued to persist (although it did coincide with my mum being ill and a very stressful point in my life). However, the shedding continued and, fearing that finasteride had lost its efficacy, I switched to Dutasteride in March/April 2018,

4 - Do you take Dutasteride everyday?
0.5mg every day

5 - Comment your results using Dutasteride (shedding, maintenance, regrowth, side-effects);
At the 6 month mark, all I've noticed to date is very heavy shedding. Possibly as many as 200 hairs when I wash my hair in the shower every 2-3 days. I've been trying very hard not to freak out, but obviously it's scary! Think my hair has thinned a little - maybe - it's very hard to tell. Actually I compared my hair in photos to 3 years ago and it doesn't look any worse although I did have a hair transplant in the meantine to bulk the hairline.

Sides? Hard to tell. As with finasteride, my libido could be up and down. One month I could be randy and have normal orgasms, other times, my libido might be low, my orgasms weak and sperm watery. It's no different on Dutasteride. Hard to say if the meds is even repsonsible. Generally, I'd say I've not had any sides.

Just hang in there bro! ;)

Yakitori

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey @Yakitori how's your experience with Duta so far?

It's fine. Still no sides or changes in energy or what not. Been using it for 6 months, it slowed down hair loss slightly more than finasteride.

I don't have crown male pattern baldness but I have diffuse thinning all the way to the crown which makes my crown area look bigger than it actually is and my swirl seems to have gotten slightly thicker/tighter. Nothing noticeable in front yet but looks like I might be getting some of the hairs that I lost because of minoxidil back (I have since then quit mino 4 months ago, it didn't work for me at all), but they are still too short (0,3 inches maybe?) for me too judge to be honest. I used mino just in the norwood 2 area to have some to compare with (the area from the middle and back I guess that didn't get exposed to mino.

iamgotham

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's fine. Still no sides or changes in energy or what not. Been using it for 6 months, it slowed down hair loss slightly more than finasteride.

I don't have crown male pattern baldness but I have diffuse thinning all the way to the crown which makes my crown area look bigger than it actually is and my swirl seems to have gotten slightly thicker/tighter. Nothing noticeable in front yet but looks like I might be getting some of the hairs that I lost because of minoxidil (I have since then quit mino 4 months ago, it didn't work for me at all) back but they are still too short (0,3 inches maybe?) for me too judge to be honest. I used mino just in the norwood 2 area to have some to compare with (the area from the middle and back I guess that didn't get exposed to mino.

Did you had any initial shed?

Hope that Dutasteride works for you mate! :)