Finasteride To Dutasteride (ex-long Term finasteride Users)

iamgotham

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Last months I've been shedding a lot and I truly believe that my hair is thinning and that my hairline is going away. After 4 successfully years on Finasteride (with good regrow and thickening) I think the drug have lost some efficacy.

I'm now searching for some advice from ex-Finasteride users that made the switch.

Can you help me out answering the following questions?

1 - Prior to Dutasteride, for how many years did you use Finasteride?
2 - What were your results with Finasteride?
3 - Why did you made the switch?
4 - Do you take Dutasteride everyday?
5 - Comment your results using Dutasteride (shedding, maintenance, regrowth, side-effects);
6 - For how long have you been using Dutasteride?

I really think that this thread can be useful to a lot of guys, since I didn't find any info from ex-long term Finasteride users that made the switch!

Thanks for your feedback! :)

PS: Sorry for the bad english!

ThanksGramps

My Regimen
Reaction score
I made the switch from finasteride to dutasteride about 2.5 years ago

1. Used finasteride (1.25 mg/day) for about 10 years (2004 - 2014)
2. Finasteride never reversed the recession on my hairline, but it stopped it cold for a good number of years. I thought that I was out of the woods until.....
3. Around summer 2012, the receding started creeping back in again. I thought maybe it was seasonal, maybe it was a shed, maybe it would stop after a while. But after a year or so, it was obvious that it wasn't stopping. Likely my follicles just got more sensitive to DHT. I did a ton of research about clinical studies on dutasteride, patient testimonials etc. Got a prescription and started on generic dutasteride 0.5/day in October 2014.
4. I take it every day in the evening
5. After about 3 months I noticed a decrease in shedding and by 6 months it was obvious that my hairline was thickening up. Strangely, I still shed in the shower even though my hair was getting noticeably better. By one year my hairline had improved substantially; I figure it reversed a couple years of thinning. Unfortunately, my gains started to slip around the 2 year mark, though I'm still ahead of where I was when I started dutasteride. I haven't noticed any side effects whatsoever.
6. Been using it since October 2014, so 28 months.

If you didn't have any side effects on finasteride and it worked well for you, dutasteride might be an improvement. I'm glad I tried it; just hoping it'll hold the line for a few more years.

iamgotham

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi @ThanksGramps , thank you for sharing your story. It's super important to me (and for guys in the same situation) to hear from some ex-long-term finasteride usersthat made the switch.

So we can say that Dutasteride worked better for you than Finasteride? When you say "my gains started to slip around the 2 year mark", you're saying that the regrowth reached is maximum or are you saying that you started losing hair again?

Once again, thanks! :)

ThanksGramps

My Regimen
Reaction score
I started losing hair again around the 2 year mark, mainly from the very front of my hairline and temples. The rest of hair is in good shape, but my hairline has taken a hit in the last 6 months or so. It's not especially rapid.. I might lose 30 hairs max in the shower daily.

I had a great initial response to the drug though. dutasteride improved my hairline noticeably, which is quite a different story than most testimonials on here. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones?

Oriol

Established Member
Reaction score
I will just say that i take avodart for almost 10 years now and i believe i'd be much worse without it. However it didn't halt my hair loss, i've been very slowly receding through the years. And i never used finasteride, i started with avodart right away.

iamgotham

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi @Oriol,

During your run with dutasteride did you ever had some kind of regrowth or your loss was "just" halted?

What was your Norwood when you started, and what's your Norwood now?

Oriol

Established Member
Reaction score
no sides with duta oriol such as puffy nipples or gyno ?

As far as i'm concerned and aware of, dont think so. Yes i have gyno, but i already had it before.

Hi @Oriol,

During your run with dutasteride did you ever had some kind of regrowth or your loss was "just" halted?

What was your Norwood when you started, and what's your Norwood now?

I'm not really sure if i had that "honeymoon" period in the first 2 years where it completely halted my hair loss or regrowth because i try not to care about it much and not go crazy in the first years, but i dont think so, i've just been VERY very slowly receding through the years. I caught it early and that was very important i guess.

My older brother had already a very thinning and receding hairline in my age now. I know that doesnt say it all, but it's an indicator that i could be waaaay worse without the med. Yes, for those people who don't care about hair loss or dont see it as we see, i dont show any signs of thinning or receding.

About my Norwood, dont know for sure as i've never look into that. But maybe 1.5

Based on his thread that I found from two years ago, he barely has any recession at all https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/hair-situation-with-pics.91739/

I really think finasteride and dutasteride are life savers when it comes to hair loss lol

Yes that´s me lol.

I agree with you that it can be life saver, i think i can say it was and still is for me. But unfortunately in MY case, it didn't stop hair loss 100%, but i can't complaint much i guess, because the thinning/receding has been happening at a very very slower rate.

@Oriol, your hair looks amazing! :)

I can't see any signs of male pattern baldness! :eek:

Thanks hehehe

Oriol

Established Member
Reaction score
Also, nowdays i only pop avodart pill everyday, i dont use any topical, only nizoral shampoo. I've used flutamide years ago, and minoxidil on and off but i dont think they did much to be honest.

Few years ago i wanted something potent to use together with dutasteride and tried RU, but i had to stop due to heart problems.

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
when you used minoxidil you didn't shed ? when you quit it you didn't go below baseline ?
And you pre existing gyno didn(t get worse with dutasteride ?
I am really tempted to try duta , but with propecia i got puffy nipples , so it would be worse with duta

Oriol

Established Member
Reaction score
I think minoxidil just didn't do nothing for me, honestly.
Abouy gyno, is that even possible? To get worse? Anyway, i'm not sure, maybe not.

Oriol

Established Member
Reaction score
I've never care about it much to be honest, but if i had to guess, i'd say no. And it's nothing that a small surgery can't solve.

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thx for answer, i want to try duta but dont want to get gyno. I am on propecia but for me it doesnt work

Oriol

Established Member
Reaction score
No, not yet. I've never checked my dht, test or estradiol levels since i'm taking avodart, not even before. But i've already scheduled to do it next month.