finasteride stopped, spironolactone only

jbhkhc

Reaction score
So finally added oral finasteride to my regime a week ago, started on 0.25 and felt a bit iffy but figured it was in my head. Upped to 0.5 after a few days and had killer nut pain since, a feeling like heartburn in my chest constantly and flying at half mast for my morning boner....instead of waking up in a c*** push up like always. SO....i binned the lot.

Going to stick to minoxidil+1% topical finasteride + spironolactone + nizoral

My question is, those who used the big 3 without sides tend to keep there hair even after 10 or so years....do people think its possible to still do so with only spironolactone and topical finasteride instead of oral finasteride?

let-it-grow

Established Member
Reaction score
Topical spironolactone is absorbed systematically, so if you had sides with finasteride you'll get them (and worse) with topical spironolactone. How long did it take you to get side effects with finasteride?

flamingpie

Established Member
Reaction score
let-it-grow said:
Topical spironolactone is absorbed systematically, so if you had sides with finasteride you'll get them (and worse) with topical spironolactone.

uh, are you sure about that? i have never read a post about spironolactone side effects...in fact i thought the whole point of topical spironolactone was to avoid the side effects from oral finasteride?

G k

Established Member
Reaction score
flamingpie said:
let-it-grow said:
Topical spironolactone is absorbed systematically, so if you had sides with finasteride you'll get them (and worse) with topical spironolactone.

uh, are you sure about that? i have never read a post about spironolactone side effects...in fact i thought the whole point of topical spironolactone was to avoid the side effects from oral finasteride?

Bump.

I've been on topical spironolactone now for almost a week, in combination with he big 3.

I have read that the advantage of topical spironolactone is that is metabolizes in 10 minutes in the skin of hair transplant body, and doesn't enter the blood stream.

I don't know what to believe because the first couple days, I remember sitting in bed at night after having applied the spironolactone...And I think I felt funny. Maybe I massaged it in too much? Is it even possible for it to enter the blood stream? I definately do not want spironolactone in me. just on me. lol.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
let-it-grow said:
Topical spironolactone is absorbed systematically...

No it isn't.

jbhkhc

Reaction score
let-it-grow said:
Topical spironolactone is absorbed systematically, so if you had sides with finasteride you'll get them (and worse) with topical spironolactone. How long did it take you to get side effects with finasteride?

Already been using Dr. Lee's spironolactone for 3 months, no side effects what so ever.....

So any one have any opinion on my original question??

Obsidian

Reaction score
To answer your original question, I think it depends on how aggressive your hair loss is. It seems most guys lose ground before or after ten years. I would suggest though if you plan to use spironolactone I would use it twice a day.

jbhkhc

Reaction score
Obsidian said:
To answer your original question, I think it depends on how aggressive your hair loss is. It seems most guys lose ground before or after ten years. I would suggest though if you plan to use spironolactone I would use it twice a day.

I'm already using spironolactone twice a day, and have been for 2 months. Im still shedding slightly but my hair looks to be doing ok.

My worry is, if i drop the finasteride in a few years ill be fucked. I'd rather work around the sides than go bald tbh, but I can't find one case where ppl have had long term success without finasteride.

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score
I tried to replace finasteride with topical spironolactone and lost a lot of ground. I don't believe that topical spironolactone is nearly as strong as Propecia.

jbhkhc

Reaction score
timbo said:
I tried to replace finasteride with topical spironolactone and lost a lot of ground. I don't believe that topical spironolactone is nearly as strong as Propecia.

Thanks for the input Timbo, im happy that i've made a lot of progress without the oral finasteride in the first place, and that I've stopped it after a week before I made any gains with it.

Guess i'll take a lot of pics and monitor my progrss with topical finasteride and spironolactone as so many people have questions but not many people have answers.

Thanks anyway guys :)

Jaeger

Reaction score
G k said:
I have read that the advantage of topical spironolactone is that is metabolizes in 10 minutes in the skin of hair transplant body, and doesn't enter the blood stream.

Is that for the cream or the liquid spironolactone? I asked Dr Lee about that and he just told me to leave it on if i was going to use cream because of the slower absorption.

let-it-grow

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
let-it-grow said:
Topical spironolactone is absorbed systematically...

No it isn't.

So how come some people who use topical spironolactone get gyno if it isn't absorbed systematically? I've heard that people who use topical spironolactone do get side effects.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
let-it-grow said:
Bryan said:
[quote="let-it-grow":1rbebv1b]Topical spironolactone is absorbed systematically...

No it isn't.

So how come some people who use topical spironolactone get gyno if it isn't absorbed systematically? I've heard that people who use topical spironolactone do get side effects.[/quote:1rbebv1b]

You should pay less attention to anecdotes on the Internet! :)

But seriously, topical spironolactone has been tested in both animals and humans for systemic absorption, and is very safe. Haven't you heard of that study in which fully HALF the total body suface area of human volunteers was covered with spironolactone cream, and there was no detectable problem at all?

G k

Established Member
Reaction score
Jaeger said:
G k said:

Is that for the cream or the liquid spironolactone? I asked Dr Lee about that and he just told me to leave it on if i was going to use cream because of the slower absorption.

I believe its for spironolactone applied in any topical format.

Although I don't necessarily believe this because I think I was experiencing sides from it. Not sure but didn't want to risk it.

let-it-grow

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
You should pay less attention to anecdotes on the Internet! :)

But seriously, topical spironolactone has been tested in both animals and humans for systemic absorption, and is very safe. Haven't you heard of that study in which fully HALF the total body suface area of human volunteers was covered with spironolactone cream, and there was no detectable problem at all?

I see, this is interesting. I also wanted to ask you, people who take finasteride which blocks testosterone from being converted to DHT - they will have more free testosterone in their body, right? And because it won't be converted to DHT it would be converted to estrogen? All the time? Or not?

So when someone have side effects because of finasteride is because his body can't handle all the estrogen? What about people who have no side effects from finasteride, do they still have a lot of estrogen in their bodies? Can someone take finasteride without having a higher level of estrogen in his body, or it's impossible since this drug blocks the conversion to DHT and the testosterone have no choice except of being converted to estrogen?

Also if side effects occur, when they start? What about gyno, if it occurs when it starts and what are the symptoms?

And sorry for hijacking jbhkhc's thread.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
let-it-grow said:
I see, this is interesting. I also wanted to ask you, people who take finasteride which blocks testosterone from being converted to DHT - they will have more free testosterone in their body, right? And because it won't be converted to DHT it would be converted to estrogen? All the time? Or not?

Yes, testosterone tends to rise a little with finasteride usage, but I don't think it's for the reason that most people always assume. I think there's an actual upregulation in testosterone production when you use finasteride. Generally, it's around an extra 10% or so, according to most sources I've read.

let-it-grow said:
So when someone have side effects because of finasteride is because his body can't handle all the estrogen? What about people who have no side effects from finasteride, do they still have a lot of estrogen in their bodies? Can someone take finasteride without having a higher level of estrogen in his body, or it's impossible since this drug blocks the conversion to DHT and the testosterone have no choice except of being converted to estrogen?

Those are all good questions, and I don't think anybody can answer them definitively, not even doctors and scientists.

My own personal view is that side effects from finasteride probably come about from the sharp decrease in DHT, rather than any increase in estrogen. Since testosterone typically rises only on the order of maybe 10% or so, my guess is that estrogen rises a rather similar amount, on average: 10% or so (I've seen an anecdotal report of a much higher increase, but I have a little trouble believing it). A 10% rise doesn't seem terribly consequential to me.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Why do you need a prescription for topical spironolactone if there are literally no real side effects from it and its been around for 20 years? Why is it not just OTC like say rogain so its readily available and we dont have to waste time/money trying to get the prescription and find it from some unreliable source?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
abcdefg said:
Why do you need a prescription for topical spironolactone if there are literally no real side effects from it and its been around for 20 years? Why is it not just OTC like say rogain so its readily available and we dont have to waste time/money trying to get the prescription and find it from some unreliable source?

Good question! Why do you need a prescription for 2% Nizoral Shampoo, when it's safely sold OTC all over the rest of the world? :) Sometimes there's just no accounting for the decisions made by the FDA...

wesleyBelgium

Established Member
Reaction score
let-it-grow said:
Bryan said:
[quote="let-it-grow":27tlqtil]Topical spironolactone is absorbed systematically...

No it isn't.

So how come some people who use topical spironolactone get gyno if it isn't absorbed systematically? I've heard that people who use topical spironolactone do get side effects.[/quote:27tlqtil]

in the fina and duta tests there where people in the placebogroup that had gyno , so with some the mind can do many things...

but still i would not overuse it

i have tryed flutamide 2% what is alot stronger then spironolactone and it works systematicly , no gyno , but i gained fat faster , and with my bloodtest there was something wrong : it shows that my muscles where in constant overload , its like the fluta eats my muscles.... so keep on spironolactone to be safe , apply a thin layer

good luck