finasteride stopped, spironolactone only

juanfran123

Reaction score
SilverShark said:
Can someone tell me dosage for oral spironolactone?

I have been on oral for three months at 25mg, I have had no side effects regarding breasts, but my penis is like a chipolata, however when aroused or ready to engage in sexual activity and engaging in sexual activity, everything is normal, in fact, sex feels better.

As for benefits, its early days, I have had a couple of days shed, not too much, but now I am starting to see small hairs at the temples, fairly dark too, but we shall see.

SilverShark

Reaction score
25mg? I red that the minimal threshold for effective treatment of pattern hair loss has been found to be 100 mg daily, similar to that seen in hirsutism. Did the dose of 25mg stop your hair loss? For how long did you have that shed?

juanfran123

Reaction score
Yes 25mg, 100mg would be for women, 25mg for a male is prescribed by some doctors for acne, more than that seems a bit excessive to me.

The shed was minimal, 3 days in duration, maybe in my head as I now hardly lose any hairs, and as soon as I see a couple in the shower I get paranoid.

I have read somewhere that spironolactone is 60 more times potent than finasteride, and it is certainly showing results in regard to regrowth of temples where finasteride only maintained and solidified what I had at the temples.

BTW, I do not encourage the use of spironolactone in men, however some men get prescribed it for acne, so it must be tolerable in low doses as I have found for 3 months.

HatGuy

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Haven't you heard of that study in which fully HALF the total body suface area of human volunteers was covered with spironolactone cream, and there was no detectable problem at all?
Wow. Could I get the source for this study?

HatGuy

Reaction score
guybrush said:
HatGuy said:
Bryan said:
Haven't you heard of that study in which fully HALF the total body suface area of human volunteers was covered with spironolactone cream, and there was no detectable problem at all?
Wow. Could I get the source for this study?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3411088
Thanks this really helps relieve any worries I had about this S5 cream! Although they should really use more than 6 volunteers for longer than 3 days.

hairrific

Established Member
Reaction score
KANGA said:
Even topically? I would never take spironolactone orally...

It does not absorb systemically into blood steam. It converts into canrenone, a weaker metabolite of spironolactone fast, and I am not seeing very many user antidotes on it being effective. Of coarse oral is an entirely different story like seaback said. finasteride on the other hand, you will see many spectacular reports like "halted my hair loss", "love it, no bad sides", "hair is thicker, regrew some even"..... that would be my user experience too.