Finasteride Ruining My Hairline, Need Advice

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
You may actually be better off dropping it. Everyone claims that you grow back the hair you shed, but that really isn't true. I started shedding like 3 months in on finasteride and that hair never grew back even though I stuck with finasteride. It is really hard to say whether to stay on it or not, because we really don't know whether you will get regrowth or not.

piernik

My Regimen
Reaction score
You may actually be better off dropping it. Everyone claims that you grow back the hair you shed, but that really isn't true. I started shedding like 3 months in on finasteride and that hair never grew back even though I stuck with finasteride. It is really hard to say whether to stay on it or not, because we really don't know whether you will get regrowth or not.

did it stop the hairloss though after you stuck with it?
the thing is that I would still be happy with keeping all the hair that i have now although it is much worse than before starting finasteride,
after 4 months I see nothing but worsening and im really in dead end :/

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
did it stop the hairloss though after you stuck with it?
the thing is that I would still be happy with keeping all the hair that i have now although it is much worse than before starting finasteride,
after 4 months I see nothing but worsening and im really in dead end :/
Still losing hair unfortunately, but after about 1 year the loss slowed down a lot. Still no crown bald spot, but hair is thinner all over and hairline is much worse/continuing to recede (much slower than before though). Hair could be much worse tho as I know people who have balded much faster when hair loss started at 18/19, so no idea if finasteride actually helped. No one else in my family had hair loss before 40 (both older brothers have no hair loss as well) so hard to gauge where I'd be at without finasteride. 3 years on finasteride now.

Last edited:

g.i joey

Reaction score
same goes to me.i am at 8 month microdosing finasteride 0.25 mg per 3 days...my hairline worst than the before i started finasteride..overall my hair is thinner than before i started finasteride..i added minoxidil this week..i will stay for 2-3 with this regiment to check some progress

No kidding man, thats not even enough finasteride to reduce DHT in your pinky... SMH, these are the people claiming they're still losing hair on finasteride? i wonder why

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
No kidding man, thats not even enough finasteride to reduce DHT in your pinky... SMH, these are the people claiming they're still losing hair on finasteride? i wonder why
I'm taking 5mg a day now, and still losing hair.

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
5 mg fina? beware of sides bro. i came back from there. gyno is not funny.
i would rather do 1 dutasteride a week than 5 mg fina daily.

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
if you don't respond to 1 mg , 5 mg will not make any difference. i took this dosage for 6 month with strictly no change except more sides

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
if you don't respond to 1 mg , 5 mg will not make any difference. i took this dosage for 6 month with strictly no change except more sides
I've heard people say this but haven't seen any studies showing this. 1mg was what was used in hair loss studies and was extremely effective for most people, so there was no reason to up the dosage. Why would 5mg be prescribed for BPH if 1mg has the same effect? Still think 5mg could be more effective for some people.

5 mg fina? beware of sides bro. i came back from there. gyno is not funny.
i would rather do 1 dutasteride a week than 5 mg fina daily.
Planning on adding duta 1mg every other day anyway. And I don't see why sides from 5mg would be any different than 1mg if it blocks barely anymore DHT. Honestly feels like I am taking a placebo.

How long have you been taking 5mg
Only a few weeks so wouldn't really know how effective it is tbh. But I've been on 2mg for over 6 months now, and 1mg for over 2 years before that.

Last edited:

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
i had exactly the same mindset as you bro . before trying 5 mg i thought propecia was a sugar pill, you can read my older post .
But then , boom i got pu ffy nipples and gyno.
maybe it can maintain more , but there is more sides

piernik

My Regimen
Reaction score
Duasteride is a stronger med than finasteride which means even worse side effects. Don't take it.
Dutasteride is sure stronger as it blocks more dht in the body than finasteride
I've read a lot about sides on finasteride vs dutasteride and sides on duta are are actually less likely to occur

piernik

My Regimen
Reaction score
guys those of you that were taking finasteride with no result or frontal deterioration
did you get any positive results after switching to dutasteride?
thanks

pjhair

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've read a lot about sides on finasteride vs dutasteride and sides on duta are are actually less likely to occur

The kind of side effects that you experienced seem to occur due to up regulation of androgen receptors due to blockage of DHT. So logically, if DHT is suppressed even more from dutasteride, receptors will become even more sensitive and you will lose even more hair. This is my speculation of course. Guys like @buckthorn who lost hair on finasteride and had similar effects as you continued losing hair on Dutasteride.

CopeForLife

My Regimen
Reaction score
Same sh*t, hairline is worse than before and I am almost 5 month on it.

I hope it's just weak hair fell out and new more stronger hair will come on their place.

No need to drop fina imho, stay for 1 year at least.

My libido is much higher on it as well. And no change on ejaculate (no watery I mean).

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not true. Side effects are more likely on dutasteride than fiansteride. What people on the forums say is not an accurate measure of side effects. Look at the studies, they show a higher prevelance of sides on dutas than finasteride.

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
The kind of side effects that you experienced seem to occur due to up regulation of androgen receptors due to blockage of DHT. So logically, if DHT is suppressed even more from dutasteride, receptors will become even more sensitive and you will lose even more hair. This is my speculation of course. Guys like @buckthorn who lost hair on finasteride and had similar effects as you continued losing hair on Dutasteride.
Not necessarily true. Finasteride may have caused an upregulation of androgen receptors, but this does not mean that blocking more DHT, would upregulate it more. Not studies on this, so impossible to say and is all speculation.

piernik

My Regimen
Reaction score
this is so sh*t.. :/
I'll stay on finasteride for another 2 months to give it a Chance, that will make it up to 6months on it, unless I see another big hit on the hairline... I dont now really...
what other options are there if finasteride and dutasteride fail?
I know there is RU but dont thing this sh*t is strong enough to deal with aggressive hairloss.
I really had my hopes high when starting fina :(

pjhair

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not necessarily true. Finasteride may have caused an upregulation of androgen receptors, but this does not mean that blocking more DHT, would upregulate it more. Not studies on this, so impossible to say and is all speculation.

True. Also, there may be a limit on how much up-regulation can occur. However, my recommendation was also based on experiences of other members on dutasteride who had similar side effects.

pjhair

My Regimen
Reaction score
this is so sh*t.. :/
I'll stay on finasteride for another 2 months to give it a Chance, that will make it up to 6months on it, unless I see another big hit on the hairline... I dont now really...
what other options are there if finasteride and dutasteride fail?
I know there is RU but dont thing this sh*t is strong enough to deal with aggressive hairloss.
I really had my hopes high when starting fina :(

I wouldn't recommend RU in your case. The only other option is minoxidil. It has worked for people in similar situation as yours in the past. You can also give S5 cream a shot.