Finasteride realistic timeline

Gunzking

My Regimen
Reaction score
At what point in do you feel as though you should see a lityle regrowth if any is the 18 month mark a fair length of time to see if finasteride works for you or not? im at nearly 10 mo ths and my hair seems to have gotten worse recently( altho 6 months in it felt good) should i wait for the 18 month mark? before trying anything else

Gunzking

My Regimen
Reaction score
Why not add minoxidil?
i probably eventually but i wanted to see what finasteride could do on its own i hear minoxidil works well for my hair too its tempting now but i want to see what finasteride can do im hoping it will thicken up what i have

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
i probably eventually but i wanted to see what finasteride could do on its own i hear minoxidil works well for my hair too its tempting now but i want to see what finasteride can do im hoping it will thicken up what i have
Well if it's been almost a year then why not add it? If you get regrowth you know that minoxidil is primarily responsible. I think you've waited long enough. Time is of the essence with aggressive hair loss.

Gunzking

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well if it's been almost a year then why not add it? If you get regrowth you know that minoxidil is primarily responsible. I think you've waited long enough. Time is of the essence with aggressive hair loss.
once you start you cant stop i guess puts me off altho with finasteride hopefully im slowing it down at the least

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
would uou recommend oral min or topical? also how bad is my hair? i will say this pic makes it slightly worse lookin
Do you have more pics? It looks like pretty aggressive hair loss for a 22 year old in that photo.

Personally I love oral minoxidil, it is definitely one of the most powerful treatments. But there are cardiovascular risks. I'm pretty healthy, and I'm willing to take that risk. With topical minoxidil, some people like me do not do well with the liquid formula because most of them contain propylene glycol and can irritate the scalp. So generally I recommend the foam since it does not contain PG (or a non-PG containing liquid brand).

Gunzking

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you have more pics? It looks like pretty aggressive hair loss for a 22 year old in that photo.

Personally I love oral minoxidil, it is definitely one of the most powerful treatments. But there are cardiovascular risks. I'm pretty healthy, and I'm willing to take that risk. With topical minoxidil, some people like me do not do well with the liquid formula because most of them contain propylene glycol and can irritate the scalp. So generally I recommend the foam since it does not contain PG (or a non-PG containing liquid brand).
Im not sure why my profile says 22 im 27 and my thinning started at around 19 so its been quite slow- hairline in tact crown not too bad its just midscalp is awful i feel like finasteride has helped but a recent shed has me worrying again

ive attached a mix of pics witu flash (flash highlights the weak hairs better) and none flash for you to have look at i think the first pic makes it look a tad worse for some reason- oral minoxidil is my preferred one but i think your right foam first to get use to it is a good idea

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not as bad as I thought. Your hairline is good?

The thing about finasteride is that it really is just a drug to stop hair loss from progressing, but it's not really something that promotes growth, so that's where minoxidil comes in handy.

Gunzking

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not as bad as I thought. Your hairline is good?

The thing about finasteride is that it really is just a drug to stop hair loss from progressing, but it's not really something that promotes growth, so that's where minoxidil comes in handy.
really thanks man Ye i know man i think min time is soon

my hairline has not moved i still have my juvenile hairline its just literally the middle bit for me hence why i thought finasteride alone might strengthen the excisting hairs and give me bit more density vut i guess 10 months in starting to look less likely

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
really thanks man Ye i know man i think min time is soon

my hairline has not moved i still have my juvenile hairline its just literally the middle bit for me hence why i thought finasteride alone might strengthen the excisting hairs and give me bit more density vut i guess 10 months in starting to look less likely
That’s good. But yeah finasteride usually “maxes out” any gains around 12 months and just maintains. For whatever reason it also seems that minoxidil works very well on the crown.

Gunzking

My Regimen
Reaction score
That’s good. But yeah finasteride usually “maxes out” any gains around 12 months and just maintains. For whatever reason it also seems that minoxidil works very well on the crown.
thanks man i apprefiate all your help im gonna srick it out for 2 more months then i think min will hopefully give me good enough hair

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
At what point in do you feel as though you should see a lityle regrowth if any is the 18 month mark a fair length of time to see if finasteride works for you or not? im at nearly 10 mo ths and my hair seems to have gotten worse recently( altho 6 months in it felt good) should i wait for the 18 month mark? before trying anything else
At this point, you can add minoxidil. You are at the point where you know you are not the best finasteride responder.

Gunzking

My Regimen
Reaction score
At this point, you can add minoxidil. You are at the point where you know you are not the best finasteride responder.
by not great responder aa in no regrowth? Ii mean is it not worth waiting 18 month mark? i havent regressed from it certainly -do you think minoxidil will improve my hair or is it just luck also can you use it once a day be enough?

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
by not great responder aa in no regrowth? Ii mean is it not worth waiting 18 month mark? i havent regressed from it certainly -do you think minoxidil will improve my hair or is it just luck also can you use it once a day be enough?
I don't know what will happy until you try it. Use it twice per day to get your maximum benefit and later you can go to once per day if you want to. Or just take oral minoxidil like alot of people are doing.