finasteride PFS how common is it.

lockandload

Reaction score
I have 3 month supply of finasteride i havent started it because I keep finding sh*t that scares the hell out of me. How common is the PFS stuff or is this just a small group deal? Do people stop taking finasteride after a few years and have no problems or does it jack everyone up?

Donny J

Established Member
Reaction score
I have 3 month supply of finasteride i havent started it because I keep finding sh*t that scares the hell out of me. How common is the PFS stuff or is this just a small group deal? Do people stop taking finasteride after a few years and have no problems or does it jack everyone up?
most people who don't have issues with the drug while on it won't quit the drug, so it's difficult to say and/or properly judge, sine most of the input you get from people experiencing PFS are those who also had issues while on the drug...so the drug itself may just not be a good fit for the individuals both on and recently off (PFS).

personally, i experienced both -- sides while on the drug, as well as after quitting (my "PFS" started 3 weeks after being off of the drug). lucky for me though, i was able to discover a solid anti-PFS "treatment" which worked wonders for me until my body equalized. that said, i still continue to experience lingering issues, which began while on the drug (and not after quitting).

..see my thread here in regards to my PFS regimen:
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interac...steride-Mental-Sides-Read-Here-for-a-Solution

my advice to you:
if you want to try it out, then try it out. but if you do, then stay OFF the forums, cuz reading most of the side-effect **** will scare the **** out of you and you could even possibly experience fake side effects due to placebo effect. that said, if you truly do begin experiencing sides, then get off of the drug asap. i would also suggest just starting with a .5mg EOD, giving it a couple months, and then assess your health at that point.

smyth01

Established Member
Reaction score
Start low and work your way up if you are concerned. Start with an even lower dose of 0.25mg every 3 days for 2 weeks. 0.5mg every 3 days for 2 weeks. 0.5mg EOD for 2 weeks. 0.5mg ED for 2 weeks.
Then try 1mg. Its rare mate. I experienced different side effects from the drug (if you can even class them as side effects) the first 7 days my sex drive was through the roof, like I can not remember it ever
being that high. It tapered off the an even, normal level after the 7 days. Apart from that its been side effect free, I just pop a pill at night and forget about it.

fml

Established Member
Reaction score

Is PFS even proven to exist? Those wacko sites you visit are not proof. Put it this way, if it does exist, it is so so rare that many, including hair docs, do not even believe it exists. If you cant handle those odds then you should not take finasteride.

lockandload

Reaction score
Donny J that's the angle I'm thinking of it from that you rarely see anything about after people stop that reflects anything good but also FML hits a point that it isn't proven and most people who probably stop have hit ground zero and have no reason to come here. The fact the Merck shut there site down for a while for a law suit and added sides is kinda freaky. I am going to suck it up and start in November waiting because wife is coming back from visiting family for about a month lol don't want sides right when she gets back. Smyth01 how many others have tried this? Why would the doctor recommend 1 mg from the start?

I wonder if they will have a commercial someday that would say "were you prescribed Propecia. Do you suffer from XXXXX, XXXXX, or XXXXXX if so you might be entitled to compensation"

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
Is PFS even proven to exist? Those wacko sites you visit are not proof. Put it this way, if it does exist, it is so so rare that many, including hair docs, do not even believe it exists. If you cant handle those odds then you should not take finasteride.

+1

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
Hey, welcome back. I haven't seen you around here in a while. I guess you have been spending most of your time on Youtube, Hair loss forums, twitter, etc. spreading your anti finasteride message. It must get tiring saying the same thing over and over and over and over and over again using multiple accounts for each site. Sounds like fun. I am sure you are also cool in person.

Reaction score
Hey, welcome back. I haven't seen you around here in a while. I guess you have been spending most of your time on Youtube, Hair loss forums, twitter, etc. spreading your anti finasteride message. It must get tiring saying the same thing over and over and over and over and over again using multiple accounts for each site. Sounds like fun. I am sure you are also cool in person.

Cool story bro

mr.patches

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey ignoramus http://www.pfsfoundation.org/news/c...-a-harvard-medical-school-teaching-affiliate/

The PFS Foundation believes this study will:

• Help establish PFS as a bona fide condition :stupid:

Interesting study... Must be fun for docs with full heads of hair to demonize finasteride.

If PFS is actually a thing then it simply is Possible finasteride Sides. Success stories have proven these can be avoided by exercise, a good diet and at least decent mental health; If you are a paranoid obese man who sits in the couch all day in front of a computer, with bags of cheetos on the sides while on a regimen then be warned internet forums.

fml

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey ignoramus http://www.pfsfoundation.org/news/c...-a-harvard-medical-school-teaching-affiliate/

• Help establish PFS as a bona fide condition :stupid:

Aaaahhh, the PFS foundation.... believes.... this study will....help..... establish PFS blah blah blah....

I got really excited when you called him an ignoramus. "He must have something solid" I thought. "The mind blowing, ground breaking, incontrovertible evidence has appeared before us at last, I just have to read the rest of this very short post" I thought. And then there it was. Some group says they "believe" a study they are going to do, will one day "help" prove PFS is real! Oh well, Im convinced! Rock solid stuff! Not. Same old nonsense. This is exactly the sort of wishy washy language, short on everything but assertion and speculation, that has been typical of the anti-finasteride wackos from day one. Just like all the anons at those forums saying their penis fell off two seconds after being in the same zip code as a finasteride tablet.

BTW, so the answer to my question above then is NO, pfs is not even proven to exist, right?

I say to the OP again, many people, including many (most?) hair docs that take notice of this stuff, do not even believe PFS exists. So if it really does exist, it is very very rare. If those odds are not good enough for you, then you really should not take finasteride because you are likely irrational or have psychological issues and will "happen" to be one of the unlucky ones.

Reaction score
Aaaahhh, the PFS foundation.... believes.... this study will....help..... establish PFS blah blah blah....

I got really excited when you called him an ignoramus. "He must have something solid" I thought. "The mind blowing, ground breaking, incontrovertible evidence has appeared before us at last, I just have to read the rest of this very short post" I thought. And then there it was. Some group says they "believe" a study they are going to do, will one day "help" prove PFS is real! Oh well, Im convinced! Rock solid stuff! Not. Same old nonsense. This is exactly the sort of wishy washy language, short on everything but assertion and speculation, that has been typical of the anti-finasteride wackos from day one. Just like all the anons at those forums saying their penis fell off two seconds after being in the same zip code as a finasteride tablet.

BTW, so the answer to my question above then is NO, pfs is not even proven to exist, right?

I say to the OP again, many people, including many (most?) hair docs that take notice of this stuff, do not even believe PFS exists. So if it really does exist, it is very very rare. If those odds are not good enough for you, then you really should not take finasteride because you are likely irrational or have psychological issues and will "happen" to be one of the unlucky ones.

Sorry to disappoint armchair scientist but hair docs are not the same as these docs shown on here http://http://www.pfsfoundation.org/

Here's the details on the study going on from Harvard, HARVARD!
http://www.pfsfoundation.org/news/c...-a-harvard-medical-school-teaching-affiliate/

Titled “A Preliminary, Hypothesis-Generating Investigation of the Post-Finasteride Syndrome: Description of the Phenotype, and Elucidation of the Hormonal, Genetic and Epigenetic Mechanisms”, the study is being led by Shalender Bhasin, M.D., Director of the Research Program in Men’s Health: Aging and Metabolism at BWH.The objective of this systematic investigation will be to determine whether there is a syndromic constellation of signs, symptoms and hormone levels that characterize PFS.
PFS has been reported to occur in men who have taken the prescription drug finasteride to treat hair loss (under the brand name Propecia and generics), or enlarged prostates (Proscar and generics).
Reported symptoms include loss of libido, erectile dysfunction, Peyronie’s disease, penile shrinkage, gynecomastia, muscle atrophy, cognitive impairment, severely dry skin, and depression. The condition often has a life-altering impact on victims and their families, such as job loss and the breakup of marriages and romantic relationships, while also being linked to suicides.
Methods of the BWH study are as follows:

1. Evaluate sexual, psychological and cognitive function
  2. Assess hormone levels and metabolic parameters
  3. Identify epigenetic interactions with the androgen receptor (AR) and gene expression of AR-dependent genes
  4. Perform magnetic resonance imaging of the brain in a group of subjects consisting of PFS patients, former asymptomatic users of finasteride for male pattern hair loss, and age matched controls

• Help establish PFS as a bona fide condition
  • Help uncover some of the underlying biological mechanisms of PFS
  • Elucidate the hormonal, genetic and epigenetic mechanisms of PFS
  • Provide leads for the development of mechanism-specific therapeutic strategies
Patient recruitment is currently underway. Prospective patients may call Allen Papazian at (617)525-9197 to determine if they are eligible.
“This study promises to be an important step in our progress toward better understanding post-finasteride syndrome,” said PFS Foundation CEO Dr. John Santmann.

Here's some published research brah..
http://www.pfsfoundation.org/published-research/

fml

Established Member
Reaction score
I say hair docs, because they see thousands of people taking finasteride. How many hair docs have had contact with a PFS patient? I dont see thousands of people coming forward saying their hair Doctor ignored their reports or their pleas for advice. In fact it is pretty far from clear how many people are even making these PFS claims. Irwig could only muster together about 70. Thats 70 who are claiming this and that, who may be lying or just already mentally ill.

And still, after all these years, you are in the same place! All you can post is "we are going to do this study." Here is a clue for you "brah", that does not prove the existence of PFS. I can say im going to do a study into the existence of the tooth fairy, that doesnt make it real you moron. Still, after all these years, all you wackos can post is assertion and speculative nonsense. One day you guys are going to have to get a life or some psychiatric help. Sorry.

Although I will give you one thing, one thing that really disturbed me on that page you linked to:
There is a robust literature in rodents, but not in humans, on the interaction between finasteride and alcohol, particularly as it relates to neurosteroids. Finasteride has been shown to reduce alcohol intake and suppress alcohol preference in male mice. This study examines the role of finasteride in alcohol consumption in humans with male pattern hair loss.

If this **** ends up messing with my alcohol intake I am going to want to know who the **** to sue. Merek will have some **** to answer for I can tell you that.

Reaction score
I say hair docs, because they see thousands of people taking finasteride. How many hair docs have had contact with a PFS patient? I dont see thousands of people coming forward saying their hair Doctor ignored their reports or their pleas for advice. In fact it is pretty far from clear how many people are even making these PFS claims. Irwig could only muster together about 70. Thats 70 who are claiming this and that, who may be lying or just already mentally ill.

And still, after all these years, you are in the same place! All you can post is "we are going to do this study." Here is a clue for you "brah", that does not prove the existence of PFS. I can say im going to do a study into the existence of the tooth fairy, that doesnt make it real you moron. Still, after all these years, all you wackos can post is assertion and speculative nonsense. One day you guys are going to have to get a life or some psychiatric help. Sorry.

Although I will give you one thing, one thing that really disturbed me on that page you linked to:

If this **** ends up messing with my alcohol intake I am going to want to know who the **** to sue. Merek will have some **** to answer for I can tell you that.

Brah the Harvard study is coming and there is also this one happening at Baylor http://www.pfsfoundation.org/news/c...drome-launched-at-baylor-college-of-medicine/

Titled “Genetic and Epigenetic Studies on Post-Finasteride Syndrome Patients,” the research is being led by Mohit Khera, M.D., M.B.A., M.P.H., Assistant Professor of Urology in the Scott Department of Urology and Director of the Laboratory for Andrology Research, McNair Medical Institute at BCM.The objective of the study is to determine why PFS patients develop sexual dysfunction.
PFS has been reported to occur in men who have taken the prescription drug finasteride to treat hair loss (under the brand name Propecia and generics), or enlarged prostates (Proscar and generics).
Reported symptoms include loss of libido, erectile dysfunction, Peyronie’s disease, penile shrinkage, gynecomastia, muscle atrophy, cognitive impairment, severely dry skin, and depression. The condition often has a life-altering impact on victims and their families, such as job loss and the breakup of marriages and romantic relationships, while also being linked to suicides.
On July 1, the PFS Foundation announced the funding of its first clinical PFS study, at Brigham and Women’s Hospital (BWH) in Boston, a teaching affiliate of Harvard Medical School. That study aims to identify causes of the condition at the molecular level.
Details of the BCM study are as follow:
Principal Investigator: Mohit Khera, M.D.
Institution: Baylor College of Medicine; St. Luke’s Episcopal Hospital and The Methodist Hospital.
Title: Genetic and Epigenetic Studies on Post-Finasteride Syndrome Patients
Objective: To study why the patient population of post-finasteride syndrome (PFS) patients develops sexual dysfunction.
Methods: To (i) evaluate sexual and psychological function, (ii) assess hormone levels, (iii) measure penile hemodynamic and sensory parameters, (iv) study androgen receptor genetics and gene expression, and (v) and determine gene expression patterns and profiles.
Why This Study is Important

• This study will evaluate parameters of peripheral sexual function in patients with PFS.

• This study will uncover the underlying biological mechanisms related to the wide array of symptoms in PFS patients which closely match those of the androgen deprivation syndrome.

• This systematic investigation will help identify the genetic footprint of PFS and the array of deregulated androgen dependent functions.

• This study will elucidate the hormonal, genetic and epigenetic molecular mechanisms of the PFS.

• This study will provide leads for the development of mechanism-specific therapeutic strategies.
Patient recruitment for the BCM study got under way in July/August 2013.
Patients interested in participating in the study should email Yesenia S. Rodriguez, Administrative Coordinator forDr. Khera: Yesenia.Rodriguez@bcm.edu
“Coupled with the Brigham and Women’s Hospital study, the Baylor research promises to pave the way for PFS therapies by uncovering the root causes of this condition that is likely affecting thousands of men worldwide,” said PFS Foundation CEO Dr. John Santmann.

I guess the admin on the site is a moron too http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interac...ost-Finasteride-Syndrome-Your-input-requested :finger2:

xRedStaRx

Established Member
Reaction score

azuri

Established Member
Reaction score
Interesting study... Must be fun for docs with full heads of hair to demonize finasteride.

If PFS is actually a thing then it simply is Possible finasteride Sides. Success stories have proven these can be avoided by exercise, a good diet and at least decent mental health; If you are a paranoid obese man who sits in the couch all day in front of a computer, with bags of cheetos on the sides while on a regimen then be warned internet forums.

Couldn't agree more.

xRedStaRx

Established Member
Reaction score
PFS is a very real thing for many men. Some men get it after only a small duration of using propecia. Other men can take propecia for many years without symptoms, and then get PFS once they quit.

There are a lot of pro finasteride guys on this forum that have no idea of the consequences long-term finasteride use can have on a man. If they have taken it without any problems, they probably won't have any problems continuing to take it. They probably won't have any problems if they some day quit. But there is never a guarantee when it comes to this stuff.

My recommendation would always be to side with caution and just not take it.

Let's see here, PFS is one or more of these symptoms:

- Depression
- Erectile dysfunction
- Low testosterone
- Difficulty holding concentration
- Low libido
- Weight gain
- Hair loss

These are all very rare and unique symptoms. If you have any one of them. Rest assured, it must be the finasteride.

It might happen on the first pill, or ten years of growing older. Whatever the time is, it must be the finasteride.

If you suffer from any health problems with a history of finasteride. Please volunteer for our PFS study, it must be the finasteride.

Ok jokes aside, it'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

fml

Established Member
Reaction score
PFS is a very real thing for many men.

Proof? Ah yes, you are going to do a study. Why bother? After all, 70 depressed inadequate internet anons multi accounting on their own special forum is all the proof we need...

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all -

For the last 14 years this forum has intentionally segregated talk of Propecia side effects to a subforum. We did this for one reason: Not all guys have problems with it. And I felt like it would do more harm than good to have a forum filled with scary posts. Thanks to these propecia lawsuit ads everywhere, I now have to deal with family members and friends (pretty much all of them) desperately losing hair, but refusing to even TRY propecia.

The statement: "Try it and see if you have any problems with it" escapes them, because of all the fear mongering. I know how human beings think, and react to things. I knew if this forum was full of posts from guys who's penises fell off after 2 hours on Propecia, literally hundreds of thousands of site browsers would never get on the most effective treatment for hair loss. And that does a disservice to everyone.

So we segregated the posts into a subforum.

Simultaneously, exactly as weird human behavior would dictate, we would get these waves of guys from "the other sites" swamping the forum with anti-propecia posts. They too - incapable of acknowledging that "not everyone has problems on Propecia". Human beings always seem to either do one extreme, or the other. Moderation, rational thought, and middle ground escapes most people. So those guys would get banned, or dumped into the subforum by the moderators as well.

Naturally we were then accused of censoring, and of course I was making love to the owner of Merck nightly, as (she i hope?) fed me grapes and told me how I was never going to admit that Propecia makes penises fall off. At least that's what everyone decided. Because (see above) ... nobody thinks rationally or moderately. HairLossTalk was of course incahoots with Merck. Of course that is nonsense.

Here's the thing: I am capable of differentiating between "what happens to me" and "what happens to others". I have at least 5 friends who have been on Propecia (one of them for over 10 years now) and have heard nary a complaint from any of them. And believe me, I've asked. Numerous times. Zero problems. I have also run one of the biggest hair loss sites on the internet for 15 years, and I literally don't remember getting an email saying Propecia has ruined anyone's lives. All I do all day is interact with people who visit this site. For 15 years.

But with me? I had severe problems. Major side effects. And like a desperate 25 year old who didn't want to go bald, I ignored those side effects and kept taking it. And I have lived to pay the price.

I have been in contact with the owner of those "other sites" and even offered some solutions which have helped me. There is no doubt in my mind that long term, Propecia resulted in a reduction of a wide range of neurosteroids and hormones. At first it was no big deal. I was a 25 year old with probably a 950 testosterone level. While on it, I had major problems. But I ignored them. And I continued taking it for 3.5 years out of sheer terror of losing my hair. I knew I was damaging myself but I didn't want to go bald.

It has been over 13 years since then. And over the course of 13 years my Testosterone, Estrogen, DHT, Leutenizing Hormone, Follicle Stimulating Hormone, and DHEA have slowly declined. Since doctors are idiots for the most part, as those numbers continued to decline, they ignored my cries for help because i was "still in range". So like an idiot, I listened to my doctors and allowed my Tesosterone (and my very zest for life) to decline. Now I am 40 years old. I have a T level of 269. That is the Testosterone level of a 95 year old man. I am low on DHT, and below range on Estrogen, LH and FSH. I have had severe depression. Major anxiety that I can't control. Weakness and exhaustion. Fatigue and exercise intolerance. Maybe you've noticed this site hasn't been updated in 6 years. Yeah. That's because of this. Motivation to excel, and work, and everything that is "being a man" was gone. And the starting point? Taking Propecia for 3 years.

Fortunately in the last 8 weeks I have found the solution to the problem. It involves Clomid (microdose), DHEA (microdose) and a microdose of Androgel. For me, this has transformed my world. There is no doubt in my mind that for some guys, Propecia does this damage.

So why do I still promote it? Because. I know for a fact that 90% (probably more) of guys don't have ANY ISSUES with it. I would rather recommend people try it and see how they tolerate it, than scare the crap out of them and they keep losing their hair. To me, this is a rational, moderate position to take.

As a side note: I haven't lost a single hair since I was 25. Wanna know why? Because Propecia permanently reduced my DHT levels so low, that I basically stopped losing hair. Blessing in disguise? You bet. But it also means that I've had 15 years of my life with nearly zero libido, inability to engage in fitness, and depression that has been debilitating at times. I kid you not, within 24 hours of beginning Clomid - all of that evaporated into thin air. And it has remained such for 3 months now. I am cured, though I will probably be on some form of "endogenous hormone stimulation" treatments of some kind forever. And hey - i might even start losing my hair again, as my DHT returns to normal levels.

---------------

My request to all of you? Please read the above. I know its long. But take the time. And be respectful of eachother. Guys who hang out on those anti propecia sites? Stop being extremists and acknowledge that most guys don't have a problem from Propecia. I believe you will garner the respect of the guys here who are ON propecia and have no problems. I think we can all agree that a certain percentage of guys do have issues. Unfortunately when you kill someones hormones, you kill their will to live, and introduce a ton of very strange symptoms that can range from chronic fatigue to anxiety disorders to depression to neuromuscular problems, and much more. This doesn't mean the guy who pops up here claiming he took Propecia for 5 minutes and has been on the fetal position for 3 years since, is being a rational person. So I welcome any responses that promote rational thought.

I was really apprehensive to post the new study in the General Forum. But when I received a call from that medical group, we had some extensive discussions on the topic. They have been dealing with guys who have these problems, for quite some time, and they are sincerely interested in helping figure out a treatment plan for those guys. I have over the last several weeks been actively involved with them. Sharing my "cure" and my bloodwork so they can compare and find commonalities. Not surprisingly, my workup looks exactly like these other guys. So that's a step in the right direction. I guess I felt like I wanted to get the word out. I know I risk scaring people away from Propecia, but hopefully those capable of rational moderate thought will remember: Its a rare reaction.

Admin