Finasteride - Penile And Chest/breast Pain

snooze

Reaction score
So, I recently had an insane hair loss where I lost a lot of hair in just 2-3 weeks (the original thread is here), and had a huge increase of body hair at the same time (something hormonal mustve been messed up), and I started finasteride with the attempt to try to save some of it. However, immediately after taking it I noticed testicular pain which freaked me out, and I stopped.

Two weeks after that I decided to try again, and after some 10-11 days I started having pain in my penis shaft, this weird feeling of heaviness and pain in the urethra area, and the increased urge to pee (felt like an urinary tract infection), and I started feeling some weird pain in my chest/breasts and they started feeling kinda swollen and painful. I cant decipher whether my nipples are swollen or puffy (they somehow always were), and I dont feel any lumps under the nipples. However, I am a bit muscular and my chest were always bigger due to the training, so cant figure out if some gyno is happening there or not.

I also feel really depressed and have anxiety attacks, together with low libido, but not sure that is directly a result from finasteride, as I had a traumatic event that led to this sudden hair loss, due to which I started taking finasteride in the first placel

So I dont know what to do now... I am afraid I might do permanent damage if I continue, but on the other side my shedding has completely stopped since I started taking finasteride :(

Anyone with similar symptoms?

Thanks

Adam Muniz

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm 10 days into taking finasteride for the first time, and I've had identical symptoms.

The penile/ball pain has subsided but been replaced with a general pain in my left nipple/chest area.

It sucks, I dunno what to do about it. My hair's been receding aggressively and this was kind of my last hope.

snooze

Reaction score
I'm 10 days into taking finasteride for the first time, and I've had identical symptoms.

The penile/ball pain has subsided but been replaced with a general pain in my left nipple/chest area.

It sucks, I dunno what to do about it. My hair's been receding aggressively and this was kind of my last hope.

Im literally the same. I might be crazy, be I even saw new vellus hairs coming out on my hairline already, and thats why Id like to continue. But Im freaked out what kind of damage I could make if I continue doing it. I havent taken finasteride for 2 days now, and the pain has subsided...

Anyone else here more experienced who mightve gone through the same and can share their story with us?

Adam Muniz

My Regimen
Reaction score
Had a look into Reddit and others people's experiences. Seems some have had the chest pain naturally go away with continued use. A couple of people tapered down their dosage then slowly increased it back to 1mg and had it go away.

I'm gonna quarter my dose for a week or so then increase it gradually. Also bought grape seed extract vitamins (I figure the natural route to reducing gyno is better as a starting point).

Not sure this helps but I like that I have a plan in place now

snooze

Reaction score
Had a look into Reddit and others people's experiences. Seems some have had the chest pain naturally go away with continued use. A couple of people tapered down their dosage then slowly increased it back to 1mg and had it go away.

I'm gonna quarter my dose for a week or so then increase it gradually. Also bought grape seed extract vitamins (I figure the natural route to reducing gyno is better as a starting point).

Not sure this helps but I like that I have a plan in place now

I didnt take it for 2 days, and the penis pain and the chest pain went away. Took 0,5mg this morning, and the penis pain is back after 2-3 hours. Im thinking of stopping Finasteride all together, I went through a traumatic event 2 months ago (due to which I lost my hair and started taking finasteride in the first place), but I just dont think I can cope at this point both with recovering from this trauma AND dealing with this penile pain and fearing I will develop gyno...

Adam Muniz

My Regimen
Reaction score
I didnt take it for 2 days, and the penis pain and the chest pain went away. Took 0,5mg this morning, and the penis pain is back after 2-3 hours. Im thinking of stopping Finasteride all together, I went through a traumatic event 2 months ago (due to which I lost my hair and started taking finasteride in the first place), but I just dont think I can cope at this point both with recovering from this trauma AND dealing with this penile pain and fearing I will develop gyno...

Fair enough pal.

Maybe talk things through with your GP?
(I'm gonna book an appointment myself).

snooze

Reaction score
Fair enough pal.

I have an appointment with my derm on the 27th, I will try at least to push through with the 0,5mg until then, if I can... Keep me posted on how it went for you :)

snooze

Reaction score
Im a week now on 0,5mg and no sides whatsoever. I hope its true what they say that 0,5mg is 80% as effective as 1mg?

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Im a week now on 0,5mg and no sides whatsoever. I hope its true what they say that 0,5mg is 80% as effective as 1mg?
I've read in many places and from many users that .5 is quite effective. Hopefully you'll stay without sides. Did u fully recover from the last bout of sides?

snooze

Reaction score
I've read in many places and from many users that .5 is quite effective. Hopefully you'll stay without sides. Did u fully recover from the last bout of sides?

Yeah, I basically just had testicle ache, then penile pain and chest/breast pain, all is gone now with the 0.5. My libido is still low and I have anxiety attacks, but I had that before finasteride as well, as I had a traumatic event 2 months before finasteride, which caused me to lose my hair in the first place...

genetically_cursed

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Fair enough pal.

Yeah, I basically just had testicle ache, then penile pain and chest/breast pain, all is gone now with the 0.5. My libido is still low and I have anxiety attacks, but I had that before finasteride as well, as I had a traumatic event 2 months before finasteride, which caused me to lose my hair in the first place...

so how are you both doing nowadays?

Adam Muniz

My Regimen
Reaction score
hows hair situation? any other sides?

Yeah it's not great to be honest. It got rapidly worse since starting min/finasteride. No other side's however.

Had an appointment with my trichologist yesterday actually. He'd analysed a sample and told me it's not permanent and that I should see regrowth in 3 months time.

I dunno, it's all a bit in the air atm.

Edit: how about you? Have you started finasteride or?

Last edited:

snooze

Reaction score
so how are you both doing nowadays?

I stopped finasteride completely, I felt like my breasts started becoming bigger. I buzzed my hair to a no-guard. Looks quite bad if you ask me, and the FUE scars are super visible. However, I have reeeally good coversge now on top when buzzed mainly with my FUE hair which I had transplanted all over, so it looks like s nice short buzzed stubble. I will just add SMP to it, and be done with the whole hairloss thing, I cant handle it anymore to be honest. As soon as Ive buzzed my hair I stopped coming to this forum, and it feels GREAT :)

genetically_cursed

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah it's not great to be honest. It got rapidly worse since starting min/finasteride. No other side's however.

Had an appointment with my trichologist yesterday actually. He'd analysed a sample and told me it's not permanent and that I should see regrowth in 3 months time.

I dunno, it's all a bit in the air atm.

Edit: how about you? Have you started finasteride or?
yeah, i swallowed first 0.5mg propecia today, will update my story as it goes.

I stopped finasteride completely, I felt like my breasts started becoming bigger. I buzzed my hair to a no-guard. Looks quite bad if you ask me, and the FUE scars are super visible. However, I have reeeally good coversge now on top when buzzed mainly with my FUE hair which I had transplanted all over, so it looks like s nice short buzzed stubble. I will just add SMP to it, and be done with the whole hairloss thing, I cant handle it anymore to be honest. As soon as Ive buzzed my hair I stopped coming to this forum, and it feels GREAT :)
yeah, man.i can imagine how much pressure is off ur shoulders when u accept it and just roll with the hair loss as it goes. honestly im thinking about it more and more lately, how much hair loss consumes my thoughts during day and how much it drains my mood. i just started propecia, so will see how it goes, hopefuly im good responder and can maintain on it, otherwise only option left will be hair piece since im diffuser.

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

yeah, man.i can imagine how much pressure is off ur shoulders when u accept it and just roll with the hair loss as it goes. honestly im thinking about it more and more lately, how much hair loss consumes my thoughts during day and how much it drains my mood. i just started propecia, so will see how it goes, hopefuly im good responder and can maintain on it, otherwise only option left will be hair piece since im diffuser.

Hopefully you'll have good results and no sides. Do keep us updated.

snooze

Reaction score

Good luck man, I really wish you the best and hope it works for you!, so you can stop worrying about this sh*t!! :) I went theough two FUEs and went theough a lot of sh*t since October due to which I lost my hair in a month and Ive been depressed about my hair ever since, and Im turning 30 in 3 days, so I really cant handle all what is happening anymore. Im much more happier now, even with the fue scars in the back. Hoping to get SMP done soon, and to continue with my life... all the best again to you! :)

genetically_cursed

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Good luck man, I really wish you the best and hope it works for you!, so you can stop worrying about this sh*t!! :) I went theough two FUEs and went theough a lot of sh*t since October due to which I lost my hair in a month and Ive been depressed about my hair ever since, and Im turning 30 in 3 days, so I really cant handle all what is happening anymore. Im much more happier now, even with the fue scars in the back. Hoping to get SMP done soon, and to continue with my life... all the best again to you! :)
yeah, brotha, thanks for the wishes. i see you are actually a long term member, so u registered around same age as i am now, which is 25 yo. its extremely harsh when you are so youn to get hit with rapid hair loss, feels like you are being robbed of your youth.
its good that you are happier now and finally about to sort it out. gl to u too.