Finasteride for $9.00 at Walmart Pharmacy!

attawnnc

Reaction score
This may have been posted before but I just had to share this....because I have been paying about $90 a month for propecia. I recently talked my Doctor into prescribing me Proscar to cut up into fourths. I couldn't believe the price of the generic Walmart brand

NINE F*#KING DOLLARS!! For 4 months of finasteride

So, for those of you who weren't aware (I sure wasnt!!) get your Doctor to prescribe proscar for this very reason

Attachments

• finasteride.png
    finasteride.png
    84.5 KB · Views: 5,258

attawnnc

Reaction score
Re: 9 dollars

Yeah it is great! I just can't believe it haha

and actually, That is the FULL price. My Doctor asked me not to claim it on my insurance to avoid any questions/confusion. I mean, i'm only 24 and it may look a little fishy if I am taking proscar prescribed by a derm haha.

anyway, with no insurance involved, that is the full price.

Cassin

Reaction score
Re: 9 dollars

attawnnc said:
Yeah it is great! I just can't believe it haha

and actually, That is the FULL price. My Doctor asked me not to claim it on my insurance to avoid any questions/confusion. I mean, i'm only 24 and it may look a little fishy if I am taking proscar prescribed by a derm haha.

anyway, with no insurance involved, that is the full price.

Holy sh*t that makes so much sense now!

hah....had a very confusing conversation with my pharmacist telling them to charge me full price for my generic proscar and only use my insurance for my other prescriptions....she couldn't change the price and I guess what neither of use realized was this this was indeed full price.

name package size qty ( tablets )
(manufacturer) 30 50 100
FINASTERIDE 5 MG TABLET (NOR)
Generic Alternative $18.21 $28.21 $52.53

http://www.costco.com/Pharmacy/DrugInfo ... INASTERIDE

Hell I even sent 3 emails to my insurance asking them to bill me and never got a response. Makes sense now.

I wonder when that price dropped..???

Reaction score
Re: 9 dollars for real finasteride at a pharmacy

Damn, I totally forgot about this. What would be a valid reason to get my Doctor to prescribe me Proscar 5mg?

I asked him about generics before I got Propecia from him but he simply told me that "there isn't any generic". . So I just decided to go with Propecia 1mg for now out of desperation.

Its been working good for me so far but it blows my mind to think how much money I could be saving if I can get prescribed to Proscar 5mg.

Cassin

Reaction score

The Bird Keeper said:
Damn, I totally forgot about this. What would be a valid reason to get my Doctor to prescribe me Proscar 5mg?

I asked him about generics before I got Propecia from him but he simply told me that "there isn't any generic". . So I just decided to go with Propecia 1mg for now out of desperation.

Its been working good for me so far but it blows my mind to think how much money I could be saving if I can get prescribed to Proscar 5mg.

There is no generic for propecia...but there is for proscar....thats the difference.

The 1mg and 5mg drugs are two totally different uses. So you have to make it clear to your Dr that you plan on cutting it. So you only need 3 bottles a year versus 12 of propecia.

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Here in Canada there is a generic Propecia (1mg) available. Apparently Merck canada wasn't awarded another patent for Propecia up here... However, it's still like $40/month to take this. I pay less than $100 a year for the 5mg generic version so yeah, it's damn cheap!

Brandname propecia here is $70/month.. Pretty insane, but I would have still started on it at that price.

It's not a perfect treatment, but i'm still glad it's available. My dad is a full out NW6 at 55. When I saw him at Christmas, I was a NW3 and he pointed at his head and told me to expect "this" in 5 or 10 years.. That was really the big reason I needed to start on it right away, lol.

I saw him last week (first time since xmas) and he was completely blown away by how well it's worked in only 5 months. He looked at starting propecia 10 years ago and it was well over $150/month, so he was even more blown away when he heard how little I pay for it.

attawnnc

Reaction score

Well, I've only been doing the 1.25 for about a week and a half now but I have noticed two things

1) my hair fall has increased. Usually when Im washing my hair I'll find one or two hairs in my hand. The last few days I've had about ten hairs or more in my hand.

2) My sex drive has really increased. When I was using propecia I did notice that I had a lower sex drive. Although, it wasn't a huge difference so it wasnt enough for me to quit finasteride. Since I've been using the Walmart 1.25 generic finasteride I have really noticed an increase.

So...I don't know. I hope the hair loss levels out again. I'm concerned about it. But I am OK with the increased sex drive haha

Reaction score

Cassin said:
The Bird Keeper said:

There is no generic for propecia...but there is for proscar....thats the difference.

The 1mg and 5mg drugs are two totally different uses. So you have to make it clear to your Dr that you plan on cutting it. So you only need 3 bottles a year versus 12 of propecia.

Oh I see, It makes sense to me now. Thank you

Cassin

Reaction score

Glad to help. You have to do a lot of research before you speak to your Dr since you have to prove to them you know what you're doing, educate them since they can't know everything.

Most Dr's will listen to you, leave the room and do a little research to double check you then come back with the prescription.

PileOn

Established Member
Reaction score

Now if only I can get my doctor to write a prescription for me..

abcdefg

Reaction score

I wish we didnt need to see a doctor for a prescription to get this. Most doctors dont know jack about any of this and are always really reluctant to prescribe something like this for off label use. Throw in the fact I have no obvious bald spot and they go you have lots of hair dont worry about it. Then when I come back in 10 years bald they wont even remember who I was but I cant that hair back.

hairhoper

Experienced Member
Reaction score

I was just asked about this over PM so I would like to post this here on the situation in the UK. I believe if you know what to say to your Doctor you should have no trouble. They are there to help you and should understand there's no difference to you paying £50 for Propecia from Boots hair-care thing vs them prescribing you the generic Finasteride at 1.25mg daily to save you a lot of money.

Here's what I experienced:

Basically I did 2 months on Propecia, prescribed from a doctor at my local health centre. When picking up my 2nd month's Propecia I asked the pharmacist how much the 5mg generic was. Quite amazed when he said it was about £5 for 28 pills.

Then next time I saw a doctor at the end of month 2 (happened to be a different one due to a last minute booking) I basically said that the branded 1mg was very expensive and asked for the 5mg generic for the cost saving, explaining that a lot of people do this and cut it into quarters to achieve a 1.25mg daily dose.

The Doctor checked with a colleague but took my number and got back to me the same day with the prescription.

I'd say think about what you're going to say, keep it clear and make it sound like you know what you're talking about as you'll probably know more than your doctor.

'I would like a private prescription of 5mg finasteride which I will quarter to a 1.25mg dose'. If you happen to have been on Propecia already it will probably help your cause that it's not something new and you know what you're doing.

I may have just lucked out, but I think it's worth a try as the generic stuff is crazily cheap. I think the last time I bought it, it was literally £4.01 for 28x5mg (4 months supply).

I think if I ever have any trouble at my doctors then I will ask for a referral to someone else who is able to prescribe it. You could maybe try that if your doctor isn't comfortable with it.

Kev123

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Should I be in trouble that my local pharmacy does not charge me for finasteride?

I get it it absolutely free. Of course not free-free, but my insurance pays for it. But it didn't use to pay for it before. They use to charge me, but now it seems my insurance covers the whole thing for some reason.

What's up with that?