Finasteride Didn’t Work. Now What? My Hair Took A Big Hit

ElTioLaBota

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I used 5% RU58841 with 5% minoxidil for around a year and had good retention and some vellus regrowth. I then foolishly stopped the minoxidil and cut the dose of RU to around 3.75%. Between those two mistakes, I then lost a bit (few mm recession and deeper thinning) at my corners over the next 6-12 months.

After realizing this one month ago, I cranked up my dose of RU58841 to 7.5% and restarted topical minoxidil and I've already got vellus fuzz back to my NW1 hairline (I'm an NW2 now). The thinned deeper areas have already started filling back in and are looking denser.

In the past week, I added oral spironolactone 100 mg twice daily and minoxidil 5 mg orally twice daily in the as well because I'm in the middle of a major procedure (scalp expander for reduction) and I can't afford to f*** around or "wait and see". I need the maximum back ASAP.

I'm exceedingly happy with the results so far. It's been a short period since I modified my whole process (1 month total for all changes) and even terminal hairs are coming back in my NW1 zone. Don't know how much I'll get back long term, but it's definitely a powerful regimen.

The point is failure on finasteride is just the beginning. There are a lot more steps you can take. I lost 2 years to finasteride & dutasteride before realizing they didn't touch my DHT levels at all and they were worthless to me.

In my opinion, anti-androgens should be tried progressively in the following order:

1) Finasteride
2) Dutasteride
3) RU58841
4) Spironolactone

Something in there (or some combo) should work. Then based on sides, you just have to decide how much your hair is truly worth for you, and what you're willing to give in order to keep it...

Lastly, if you do use RU58841, keep it to 5% or higher. The studies showed a much bigger effect at 5% than 1%, so that is where the majority of the dose-reponse curve takes place. >5% should maximize the effect. I prefer to apply twice daily.
Bud im a nw2 but in the last 30 days i've lost a sht ton of hair (about to hit nw3 pretty hardly), so im planing to get on propecia, since imo the vellus hair will regrow and i'll get back to nw2, if i use minoxidil can i get back to nw1? I was nw1 two years ago or so...

IdealForehead

My Regimen
Reaction score
Bud im a nw2 but in the last 30 days i've lost a sht ton of hair (about to hit nw3 pretty hardly), so im planing to get on propecia, since imo the vellus hair will regrow and i'll get back to nw2, if i use minoxidil can i get back to nw1? I was nw1 two years ago or so...

Absolutely use finasteride and minoxidil. If you've only lost for a brief period you have a high likelihood of getting it back.

Last edited:

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Vesemir I know the feels with finasteride man, it done my hair no good and i too lost ground faster, but im still on it lol.. i think you should give oral minoxidil ( Loniten ) a try. You can order 100 pills at 10mg for like 30 euro from ThailandPharmacy!
I did and i am so glad i gave it a shot, the hair that finasteride ate away is growing back and slightly more! Im willing to bet you will have great results, its easier to keep up with than the topical ( obviously )
Dont give up dude, there is salvation and it comes in the form of a cheap generic pill mass produced for peanuts in Thailand.

That last bit was a joke, but seriously man give it a shot. Only thing you have to lose is your hair!

Norwoodcemetary

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Vesemir I know the feels with finasteride man, it done my hair no good and i too lost ground faster, but im still on it lol.. i think you should give oral minoxidil ( Loniten ) a try. You can order 100 pills at 10mg for like 30 euro from ThailandPharmacy!
I did and i am so glad i gave it a shot, the hair that finasteride ate away is growing back and slightly more! Im willing to bet you will have great results, its easier to keep up with than the topical ( obviously )
Dont give up dude, there is salvation and it comes in the form of a cheap generic pill mass produced for peanuts in Thailand.

That last bit was a joke, but seriously man give it a shot. Only thing you have to lose is your hair!
Bro r u taking progress pics on lotinen

Grasshüpfer

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
From where do you get finasteride if you need a prescription for everything
Can you help me?is finpecia safe its soo cheap and i am sceptical

I use Finpecia from Cipla and it works.
Most fina is legit because it is very cheap to manufacture and therefore makes little sense to fake
If you are worried you can check if the batch number on your pill packaging is legit by writing an email to Cipla.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Bro r u taking progress pics on lotinen
I didnt take baseline pics but i posted a 2 month picture circling whats starting to regrow. If i had baseline finasteride pics my loniten 2 months results would look f*****g terrible in comparison. Ive lost half a norwood in only 11 months :( im hopeful it will come back though.
Loniten definitely works, it just slow right now. Probably because im only a month done with the shedding and it has not regrown yet.

yess

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I didnt take baseline pics but i posted a 2 month picture circling whats starting to regrow. If i had baseline finasteride pics my loniten 2 months results would look f*****g terrible in comparison. Ive lost half a norwood in only 11 months :( im hopeful it will come back though.
Loniten definitely works, it just slow right now. Probably because im only a month done with the shedding and it has not regrown yet.
Any side effects?

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
When you fail on finasteride, you either go lunatic way and get on Dutasteride, or IMO, the saner option, to just add RU58841.

No point in going on oral minoxidil. It is just a growth stimulant, unless he achieves maintenance with antiandrogens he will just lose those results eventually anyway.

It makes more long term sense to look into adding topical antiandrogens to your regimen. Start with RU58841.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
When you fail on finasteride, you either go lunatic way and get on Dutasteride, or IMO, the saner option, to just add RU58841.

No point in going on oral minoxidil. It is just a growth stimulant, unless he achieves maintenance with antiandrogens he will just lose those results eventually anyway.

It makes more long term sense to look into adding topical antiandrogens to your regimen. Start with RU58841.
I would likely end up bald on dutasteride.. Ive given RU58841 some thought but im leaning towards cypocertone as an anti androgen. I know oral min is only a growth stimulant butpeople have been able to maintain for years, some for even decades just with topical, so i hope i may be able to aswell.

Last edited:

yourworld001

Established Member
Reaction score
I would likely end up bald on dutasteride.. Ive given RU58841 some thought but im leaning towards cypocertone as an anti androgen. I know oral min is only a growth stimulant butpeople have been able to maintain for years, some for even decades just with topical, so i hope i may be able to aswell.

What are you going to doing when you 50/60 on oral minoxidil, Heart attack guaranteed.

FutureSaitama

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I dropped finasteride. Currently feeling better, even though I expected I was going to be extra paranoid. No change in hairs lost daily.
So you're on nothing at the moment ? Did you get lower or higher libido on finasteride ? You may be a case of reflex hyperandrogenicity.

ElTioLaBota

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I dropped finasteride. Currently feeling better, even though I expected I was going to be extra paranoid. No change in hairs lost daily.
And do you have plans to start any other treatment for your hairloss or not?