Finasteride And Oral Minoxidil Not Working. What Next?

UnknownT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Been on 1.25mg finasteride daily for 14 months and oral minoxidil 5mg for 3 months.

Still having hair fall out. Seems like nothing has changed during this time. What should i do? Whats the other options apart from FUE.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Switch to dutasteride, keep the dosage of oral min at 5mg, it takes a while to see results, 3 months isn't long enough. Post pics if you can

UnknownT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Switch to dutasteride, keep the dosage of oral min at 5mg, it takes a while to see results, 3 months isn't long enough. Post pics if you can
I tried dutasteride for 6 months prior to getting on finasteride. I feel it made my hair worse. I was noticing a lot more hair fall during this time. I know it does increase testosterone

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I normally don't recommend it since it's untested but you could try RU. If you are willing to then spironolactone is also an option, of course it's pretty extreme and has sides like gyno, lower libido etc plus you need to be careful about potassium intake. Pics would still be good though, finasteride will maintain for the majority of guys for 5 years, dutasteride even more probably. Are you sure you have male pattern baldness, had your thyroid tested etc?

Last edited:

baba_yaga

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Been on 1.25mg finasteride daily for 14 months and oral minoxidil 5mg for 3 months.

Still having hair fall out. Seems like nothing has changed during this time. What should i do? Whats the other options apart from FUE.
Hair fall is not hair loss. It is normal to shed hair, even for a non balding person.

UnknownT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I normally don't recommend it since it's untested but you could try RU. If you are willing to then spironolactone is also an option, of course it's pretty extreme and has sides like gyno, lower libido etc plus you need to be careful about potassium intake. Pics would still be good though, finasteride will maintain for the majority of guys for 5 years, dutasteride even more probably. Are you sure you have male pattern baldness, had your thyroid tested etc?
Are these tablet form or both topical?

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are these tablet form or both topical?

Ru is topical, spironolactone is oral. I'd really like to see pics of your hair though, and like baba said shedding hair is normal, as long as it is not having an impact on your density i wouldn't worry about it too much.

baba_yaga

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You mean the root is thiner than the top?
The roots are mostly thinner than the top due to the hair follicle entering the resting phase. You should examine the hair strand. If it goes progressively thinner from the top all the way down to the roots, then you have miniaturization.

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you take oral minoxidil you need to take it 2 to 3 times a day.... it has a very short half life when taking it orally. 2.5mg every 8 hours (so 3 total day) would be a good place to start.

UnknownT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The roots are mostly thinner than the top due to the hair follicle entering the resting phase. You should examine the hair strand. If it goes progressively thinner from the top all the way down to the roots, then you have miniaturization.
Yes i have these

baba_yaga

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How long you’ve been on finasteride?
Post photos of a miniaturizing hair.

UnknownT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thinning on my crown