finasteride And Microneedling, 11 Month Results

CaptainNorwood

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been on finasteride for a little over 11 months now. I just turned 24 ten days ago, and I've probably been losing hair since around my 20th birthday (November 2014). I wish I had started sooner, but oh well. Luckily, I've been seeing pretty impressive regrowth. I should also mention I've been microneedling (1.5 mm) since early March of this year. I get my finasteride from Costco and take 1 mg daily, it costs about $4/month. I started with a dermaroller and switched to a dermastamp. Initially, I microneedled weekly but I switched to every other week in the past month or two.

I haven't had any side effects from finasteride, my sex drive is still the same as it was when I started.

The regrowth was probably first visible around month 3 or 4, but it only started to make a cosmetic difference around month 6 or 7.

To start, here's my hair with a center part. The photo on the left is from August, while on the right it's from the other day. Generally, I would say the part has gotten narrower, especially on top. It's the hardest region for me to get a good photo of because of how much it changes depending on how I style my hair.
MPHGUjt.jpg

My hairline has shown a significant improvement as well. It's hard to see but it's still a little thin above the temples, but a huge improvement nonetheless. The photo on the left is from July, while on the right is from the other day.
3h3FbYN.jpg

This one might be my most impressive picture. Normally I part my hair on the left, but here I parted it on the right because the right side is way thinner for some reason. The photo on the left is from August, while the photo on the right is from 2ish weeks ago.
3BX7WWu.jpg

All these pictures were taken in the same room in the same spot, so I tried to get the same angle and lighting. This is a photo of my hair from the front, dry and with no product. I'd have to dig to find something to compare it to, but it's a huge improvement from December of 2017 when I was getting close to NW3. Right now I'd describe myself as a NW2, but on r/tressless I was told I'm a NW1.
7ZpehJ0.png

As far as I can see, I'm continuing to regrow hair. I still see new small ones popping up along my hairline and can feel stubble there. Even compared to the beginning of November, I see a cosmetic difference. I'm hoping that I'll look even better at 18 months.

Ventrucha

My Regimen
Reaction score
Nice result buddy.
So no minoxidil in your regimen?
I know its hard to tell...which of them u consider (finasteride or dermastamp) were more useful?

CaptainNorwood

My Regimen
Reaction score
Nice result buddy.
So no minoxidil in your regimen?
I know its hard to tell...which of them u consider (finasteride or dermastamp) were more useful?
No minoxidil at all. I didn't want the hassle and I think I'm doing well enough without it. It's hard to say which one is driving the regrowth but I think it's mostly finasteride, since I was seeing a little bit of regrowth even before getting a dermastamp.

Where do get your dermastamp?
eBay. It's easy enough to find them if you do a search for "1.5 mm dermastamp." It cost about $8, I replace it every few months.

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Great results man! Did you go below baseline at all or notice any shedding? When did you start seeing improvement?

Pixie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is awesome! Gives me hope since my regimen is exactly like yours, but I haven't been doing either for as long.

CaptainNorwood

My Regimen
Reaction score
Great results man! Did you go below baseline at all or notice any shedding? When did you start seeing improvement?
I think my improvement first became noticeable around 3 months, though even during the first month I started seeing new small hairs popping up.

I might have noticed some very minor shedding a few weeks ago, but I find that hard to keep track of. I do

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ay ay captain Norwood! Very good results man! Are unoticing yhickening of miniaturised hairs? So no sides and no crazy sheds but good results? Congrats! Stay sides free and and keep us updated!

CaptainNorwood

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ay ay captain Norwood! Very good results man! Are unoticing yhickening of miniaturised hairs? So no sides and no crazy sheds but good results? Congrats! Stay sides free and and keep us updated!
Yeah, it does seem my miniaturized hairs have gone to thick, full, brown ones again. I'll hopefully post back here in 4-8 months with even more improvement

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are those pics from the top wet photos? Also, how’s your crown, can you post a pic?

CaptainNorwood

My Regimen
Reaction score
Nice result man.. what shampoo you use??
Most days I just use Head and Shoulders. I should have mentioned this in my OP, but I use Nizoral 1% 2x/week. Idk if it really does anything, though.

Are those pics from the top wet photos? Also, how’s your crown, can you post a pic?
All those pics are dry. It still looks kinda bad when wet.
iVq1FHM.jpg

It's also a little thin above my temples.
ZMzMnBf.jpg

6zf2OAq.jpg

This is where I'm hoping I can see continued regrowth past the one year point. I've read some studies which show it's quite common for early responders to have regrowth continuing as far as five years out along with maintaining for over a decade, so I'm crossing my fingers. My end game, though, is hopefully getting RCH-01 if/when it comes out and then an FUE or FUT to clean things up and then never worrying about hair loss again.

Reactions: KSA

Roses

Established Member
Reaction score
Is it the 540 needle dermaroller? Which one is the best to buy? Need to start it A$AP

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
How fast were you losing hair before finasteride?

CaptainNorwood

My Regimen
Reaction score
How fast were you losing hair before finasteride?
Hard to say. This picture is from May 2015. Early 2015 is probably the earliest I can find evidence of hair loss in photos, though it probably started thinning at the very end of 2014.
F03NeHT.png

This one is from January 2018, when I'd been on finasteride for about a month. I was probably losing my hair at a slow pace, but 20 is obviously very young to have this start.
hlrjhK0.png

I would say the summer of 2017 was when it first started to have a significant cosmetic impact, like on the hairline. Perhaps as far back as mid 2015 it had a subtle sign: the hair on the back/sides grew out a lot faster and was a lot denser than on top even the top didn't look thin.

JonnyGo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hard to say. This picture is from May 2015. Early 2015 is probably the earliest I can find evidence of hair loss in photos, though it probably started thinning at the very end of 2014.
View attachment 105709

This one is from January 2018, when I'd been on finasteride for about a month. I was probably losing my hair at a slow pace, but 20 is obviously very young to have this start.
View attachment 105710

I would say the summer of 2017 was when it first started to have a significant cosmetic impact, like on the hairline. Perhaps as far back as mid 2015 it had a subtle sign: the hair on the back/sides grew out a lot faster and was a lot denser than on top even the top didn't look thin.
Dude that’s amazing, you regrew almost all your hair!