Finasteride And Fat Loss. Gaining Weight On finasteride

JohnSmith21

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Does finasteride cause fat gain? i’m finding it much harder to lose fat and keep fat off. i’ve always been in great shape and work out 5-7 days a week. was also into natty bodybuilding in the past. i’ve never had such a difficult time losing fat in my life. could it be finasteride? does dht help you lose fat? no difference in muscle / strength tho. i’m not as vascular, but that’s also because i’m fatter. what’s the deal?

_Ayae

My Regimen
Reaction score
Most likely it's caused by change in food pattern, metabolism, aging, etc.
You gain weight simply because your caloric intake is higher than what you burn.

badhabiz

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Don’t understand this at all. Doesn’t really go into detail about the study, and it’s relating weight gain and prostate cancer ?
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5835337/
"men with physiologic hypogonadism or those undergoing androgen deprivation treatment (ADT) for prostate cancer are at higher risk for the incident development of obesity and associated metabolic disorders including insulin resistance, nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, and T2DM.(Ding et al., 2006; Hamilton et al., 2011; Keating et al., 2012"

JohnSmith21

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5835337/
"men with physiologic hypogonadism or those undergoing androgen deprivation treatment (ADT) for prostate cancer are at higher risk for the incident development of obesity and associated metabolic disorders including insulin resistance, nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, and T2DM.(Ding et al., 2006; Hamilton et al., 2011; Keating et al., 2012"
yeah man, hypoglndism and androgen deprerivation would make anyone get fat. that’s low testosterone. finasteride doesn’t lower test, it slightly raises it

Anatoly

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride raises a male's T and gives modest benefits with respect to fat loss (under certain conditions - no cancer, normal HbA1C, normal thyroid function etc). Dutasteride raises a male's T better and has stronger correlation (more substantial weight loss and better p-values for this comparison) with fat loss.
Actually, obese males with low T (which is one of the causes) are sometimes offered testosterone replacement therapy for weight loss.

But DHT is a very different story.

Last edited:

badhabiz

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
yeah man, hypoglndism and androgen deprerivation would make anyone get fat. that’s low testosterone. finasteride doesn’t lower test, it slightly raises it
No man, thats only the beginning.
The raise in T, since dht is inhibited, leads to an estrogens spyke, which is tolerated by some people, but not everyone's
Finasteride is an androgen blocker, you can easily verify that- thats why androgens deprivation matters in this discussion.
Hope its clear

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
It entirely depends on the E increase you get. If you are one of those that gets a large E spike on finasteride then you will start finding it more difficult to keep fat off - especially around the chest and hips.

JohnSmith21

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No man, thats only the beginning.
The raise in T, since dht is inhibited, leads to an estrogens spyke, which is tolerated by some people, but not everyone's
Finasteride is an androgen blocker, you can easily verify that- thats why androgens deprivation matters in this discussion.
Hope its clear

It raises estrogen by only 15%? that’s not a spike lol. so if your estrogen was 30, it’s gonna be 35 on finasteride. that’s pretty insignificant

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
It raises estrogen by only 15%? that’s not a spike lol. so if your estrogen was 30, it’s gonna be 35 on finasteride. that’s pretty insignificant

Not true. Mine went up 68% on finasteride. We all have a homeostatic baseline of T:E . If your E falls out of ratio with your T you’ll get sides.

JohnSmith21

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not true. Mine went up 68% on finasteride. We all have a homeostatic baseline of T:E . If your E falls out of ratio with your T you’ll get sides.
You have pre finasteride hormone panel, and hormone panel from when on finasteride? what was the pre finasteride and post finasteride estrogen levels ?

badhabiz

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Im glad you laugh but there are tons of studies about finasteride and estrogens..
15% is just the average, everyone's different as Ollie told you.
A lot of people
Heres an insignificant side of raising estrogens : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2929552/
Rememember the hormones are all about balance
Hope you never find it out the hard way of course

dianapalm13

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm practicing yoga now and this is incredible. I got a lot of self-confidence and self-esteem. I don't worry about many things that are not really important. I started to practice yoga in order to lose weight. I found many sites about losing weight and practicing sports but the best one was this in shape.blog. I learned how to plan my diet and organize the workout training. I even started to run which I hated the most but I had to do it because exercises and sports are really important to a healthy body. Now I don't eat any products that contain sugar, I eat only foods rich in protein and fiber.

Last edited:

rosemiller

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm practicing yoga now and this is incredible. I got a lot of self-confidence and self-esteem. I don't worry about many things that are not really important. I started to practice yoga in order to lose weight.

JohnSmith21

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I had the same question and was looking for someone who experienced this problem. Recently I gained some pounds and I thought that was because of finasteride but my doctor said it wasn't. I hope so.
I’ve actually been on finasteride for well over a year now. I took a 2 month break to see if it was easier to lose weight . It wasn’t . I was probably just getting older or eating like sh*t haha cuz the wait is coming off easy now

jjuliajul11

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think it's because of poor nutrition, poor metabolism or because you don't move much. I also had this problem. I read the reviews glacier water customer service and now I drink a lot of healthy water, eat more fruits and vegetables, spend more time outdoors. I also started going to the gym and swimming.

Last edited: