Finasteride And Breast Cancer???!!!

Funkymonk1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ther's been some new information in Finasteride patient leaflet that got me a bit worried - "You should promptly report to your doctor any changes in the breast tissue such as lumps, pain, enlargement of the breast tissue or nipple discharge as these may be signs of a serious condition, such as breast cancer."

WTF, I was always given the impression that finasteride was a relatively safe drug and the really serious sides such as cancer and dementia were just scare mongering and lies. However it's there now in black and white in the actual patient leaflet; even Meric have admitted it. True, the leaflet doesn't give the chances of getting breast cancer but even if it's a small % is my hair really worth the chance of getting something life threatening?

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Ther's been some new information in Finasteride patient leaflet that got me a bit worried - "You should promptly report to your doctor any changes in the breast tissue such as lumps, pain, enlargement of the breast tissue or nipple discharge as these may be signs of a serious condition, such as breast cancer."

WTF, I was always given the impression that finasteride was a relatively safe drug and the really serious sides such as cancer and dementia were just scare mongering and lies. However it's there now in black and white in the actual patient leaflet; even Meric have admitted it. True, the leaflet doesn't give the chances of getting breast cancer but even if it's a small % is my hair really worth the chance of getting something life threatening?
There was also info back in the day saying that finasteride could cause prostate cancer to be more aggressive too. As long as you keep your estrogen levels low, should keep breast cancer from presenting.

Funkymonk1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think this is different to the prostate cancer scares because ther's actually been some clinical trials that reported some cases of male breast cancer (hence the reason they had to reference it in the patient leaflet). As far as I know there has been no proof or instances of men getting prostate cancer from finasteride.
Sorry if I sound a bit thick but how exactly do you keep your estrogen levels low?

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I think this is different to the prostate cancer scares because ther's actually been some clinical trials that reported some cases of male breast cancer (hence the reason they had to reference it in the patient leaflet). As far as I know there has been no proof or instances of men getting prostate cancer from finasteride.
Sorry if I sound a bit thick but how exactly do you keep your estrogen levels low?
Try to maintain low body fat. High protein low carb and stay away from soy.