Finasteride - 7 Month Update - Pics Includes

Jim-101

My Regimen
Reaction score
So I have been on finasteride since 22.12.18 and this was my starting point:

D0924E34-7655-47BE-A523-8D062206F48D.jpeg EFD7D806-73E8-409E-94D1-E706D51566E3.jpeg

For the first few months I was optimistic that I would get good results from finasteride, and didnt really think about it. From month 3/4 i started to take notice as this is when new hairs should have kicked in, although I am now at month 7 and I dont think it has worked at all:

33A87775-3B54-4F50-AAC1-B79C8F853768.jpeg FE210C69-B632-449E-8931-AFAD547F8572.jpeg

Potentially it has helped me maintain what I had to some extent, but I think the hair actually feels thinner so Im not sure if it is actually doing anything.

I will probably see it out to at least a year, but I am no longer optimistic.

I can conceal my loss very well with dry shampoo, and I was planning on keeping this up for as long as I can, but this is starting to become an ordeal:

330ED4C9-D306-4BDD-9F6E-929F20D6104F.jpeg

Long term goal is to book in for SMP to fill in the gaps and then go with the shaved head look as I am almost 29 and feel way to young to be walking around with a bald head .... nor do I want the friar tuck look going on either! I think SMP will be great for this

Any thoughts you guys may have are always welcome

Thanks

Jim-101

My Regimen
Reaction score
keep up with the finasteride and add minoxidil for regrowth
Thanks for the advice, I actually thought about adding in minoxidil, but i didnt want to become dependant on that too - id imagine applying twice a day wont be too cheap (I would go with the foam to avoid the itch). Plus it will be difficult to apply with the dry shampoo on the scalp too

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, I actually thought about adding in minoxidil, but i didnt want to become dependant on that too - id imagine applying twice a day wont be too cheap (I would go with the foam to avoid the itch). Plus it will be difficult to apply with the dry shampoo on the scalp too

Apply it once a day. You don't need to apply it twice. Apply it at night and the dry shampoo in the morning. Finasteride does not ALWAYS lead to great growth. The earlier pics were taken in dim light and the later ones in more bright lighting so the before pics do not look as bad as it probably did. Just be aware that Minoxidil can cause shedding.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Jim-101 finasteride can take up to a year to stop hair loss so don't give up.

Jim-101

My Regimen
Reaction score
how did u do that dry shampoo thingy? lol
Its basically a £1 can of brown dry shampoo from asda. It sprays out as a brown powder onto the scalp and I rub it in to blend then add some hairspray to lock it. Essentially its acting as a much cheaper toppik

Jim-101

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys, i will keep it up for a year to see how things go, but like i said, im not entirely convinced its doing anything and i think the hair may be getting thinner - time will tell i guess

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
im also continueing to bald agressively on finasteride. we could be non responders

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
How long have you been on it? And what type of thinning do you have?

I always got the impression that diffuse thinners responded well, but im not seeing it
Only 2 months so far so im staying on it. Im a diffuse thinner with receding hairline. My fatger was NW7 at my current age and I have NW7 genetics in me.

Jim-101

My Regimen
Reaction score
Only 2 months so far so im staying on it. Im a diffuse thinner with receding hairline. My fatger was NW7 at my current age and I have NW7 genetics in me.
Sounds like you could still have some good results then! I think it normally takes at least 3 months to see any benefits... im also aware it can take upto a year, which is what im hoping on for now.

Do you have any long term plans? Like a transplant or just going to embrace the bald?

Im planning on getting SMP as i hate the idea of being a bald guy with an intact hairline, just a big empty spot in the middle. Its not a good look

mrsamsonite

My Regimen
Reaction score
interested to see how you get on. please report back as im considering starting with finasteride

g.i joey

Reaction score
I’ve used finasteride on and off for the past maybe 2 years. My longest stint on it consecutively I believe was 13 months, which I noticed no regrowth but pretty solid maintenance... the thing about maintenance is you can never be fucken sure considering we have good hair days and bad hair days. I did take a 2 month break November-Jan 2018 and that’s when I noticed I was actually losing as oppose to maintaining while on the drug.

I too was hopeful I’d make a very solid comeback considering my diffuse thinning and my older brothers results and the fact that I thought I started treatment a little earlier in life than he did.

Unfortunately for some finasteride will just stop the hair loss itself and sometimes not even that, sometimes it may just slow it down a lot, which I think is the cause in my case. But I saw pictures of my dad at 22-23 and he was doneso and here I am at 25 (26 in 4 months) with a very decent nw3, complete coverage even without concealers but I am diffusing and definitely lacking some density if not styled right.. unfortunately ever since January I’ve been using toppik a couple times a week mainly for weekends when I’m out and etc.

Disclaimer: I rarely take finasteride 7 days a week, usually 1mg 3-5 x a week and sometimes even .5 a couple times a week.

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sounds like you could still have some good results then! I think it normally takes at least 3 months to see any benefits... im also aware it can take upto a year, which is what im hoping on for now.

Do you have any long term plans? Like a transplant or just going to embrace the bald?

Im planning on getting SMP as i hate the idea of being a bald guy with an intact hairline, just a big empty spot in the middle. Its not a good look
I was also considering an SMP, it can look pretty good if done correctly. At the end of the day aslong as you have something decent to frame your face its not that bad. Im gonna try my best to save my hair but if my genetics are too strong then SMP is the way im gonna go.

OfficialWater

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You know you could do Min once a day since you have finasteride to stop DHT you could experiment with derma rolling to increase absorption in min to get the most bang for your buck

Jim-101

My Regimen
Reaction score
You know you could do Min once a day since you have finasteride to stop DHT you could experiment with derma rolling to increase absorption in min to get the most bang for your buck

I have thought about Min, but i dont want to become dependant on something else aswell as finasteride.

Ive been interested in doing researh into derma rolling - what does it actually do? Just increase bloodflow to the scalp? Or more?

Thanks

Jim-101

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve used finasteride on and off for the past maybe 2 years. My longest stint on it consecutively I believe was 13 months, which I noticed no regrowth but pretty solid maintenance... the thing about maintenance is you can never be fucken sure considering we have good hair days and bad hair days. I did take a 2 month break November-Jan 2018 and that’s when I noticed I was actually losing as oppose to maintaining while on the drug.

I too was hopeful I’d make a very solid comeback considering my diffuse thinning and my older brothers results and the fact that I thought I started treatment a little earlier in life than he did.

Unfortunately for some finasteride will just stop the hair loss itself and sometimes not even that, sometimes it may just slow it down a lot, which I think is the cause in my case. But I saw pictures of my dad at 22-23 and he was doneso and here I am at 25 (26 in 4 months) with a very decent nw3, complete coverage even without concealers but I am diffusing and definitely lacking some density if not styled right.. unfortunately ever since January I’ve been using toppik a couple times a week mainly for weekends when I’m out and etc.

Disclaimer: I rarely take finasteride 7 days a week, usually 1mg 3-5 x a week and sometimes even .5 a couple times a week.

Yeah thats my worry, ive been on it now for 7 months and not seen results... but it could be that its just been maintaining or slowing the loss... like i could potentially be in a much worse situation now if I hadnt taken it ... but then you would never know! So im worried if i stop, the hairloss will be much greater

Im just going to ride it out for as long as I can, hopefully another year at least (Id like to say i got to 30 and still had hair lol) and when I can no longer conceal well, Im getting straight on to SMP, that way, people will think it is a choice to have a shaved head and not through loss ....maybe i can even tie it in with a change for my 30s? Haha