Finasterade and libido?

Iopu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm wondering if any finasteride or dutasteride users would mind sharing. How is your libido on the drug?

I have been having success treating my hairloss with minoxidil and RU. But I'm tempted to add finasterade again.

hairy situation

Reaction score
Tried it (1mg / day) back in 2010 and it basically gave me a limp penis and coagulated semen. No effect on libido, but as you can imagine it was difficult to work with a limp member... Took two years to recover.

g.i joey

Reaction score
k9, this is using only topical finasteride? im thinking of going this route, last night had a problem where i couldnt maintain my erection with my girl and it seems my propecia run is about to hit a dead end.

shookwun

Reaction score
Finasteride doesn't have any relation to erections, and maintaining them. Arousal wise it may be a minor factor but sex, libido, and erections are all in response to nitric oxide, and testosterone production.

"Male sexual function normally requires intact libido; the ability to achieve and maintain penile erection; ejaculation; and detumescence. Androgens, especially testosterone increases the libido. A variety of visual, olfactory, tactile, auditory and imaginative stimuli can also influence the libido. "

g.i joey

Reaction score
shookwun, so explain why im having trouble maintaining my erections lately when im with my girl, despite taking l-arginine... I could lose my erection mid bj out of nowhere.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been taking l-arginine as well, I doubt it has any effect on erections.

In studies it helps ED when taken with pine bark extract, but those studies are plausibly funded by people with a stake in pine bark extract.

I plan on trying pine bark extract + l-arginine for another six weeks, then I'm out.

shookwun

Reaction score
I do believe it has to do with performance related anxiety.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/306437.php

"The placebo effect refers to the impact that a placebo has on an individual. In other words, even an inert and inactive treatment can produce a measurable, positive health response. This outcome may fly in the face of common sense but it has been repeatedly demonstrated. "

"The opposite of a placebo - generating a negative rather than a positive outcome - is a nocebo"

"Erectile dysfunction: in one study, participants were split into three groups. The first group was told they would receive a treatment for erectile dysfunction, the second group were told they would receive either a placebo or an actual treatment and the third group were told they would receive a placebo.
All three groups were, in fact, given placebo starch tablets, but all three groups' erectile dysfunction improved significantly without any significant differences between the three groups"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2840927/

Normal male sexual function

Male sexual function normally requires intact libido; the ability to achieve and maintain penile erection; ejaculation; and detumescence. Androgens, especially testosterone increases the libido. A variety of visual, olfactory, tactile, auditory and imaginative stimuli can also influence the libido. The penile erection is mainly under the control of the parasympathetic nervous system. The nitric oxide released from the non-adrenergic, non-cholinergic autonomic fibers causes relaxation of smooth muscles in the penis, leading to increased flow and accumulation of blood in the lacunar network of corpora which are converted into non-compressible cylinders resulting in erection. The nitric oxide is synthesized in the cavernosal tissue of penis by nitric oxide synthetase. Ejaculation and detumescence require intact sympathetic system.[8]

Role of androgens in erectile function

The integrity of structural and cellular components of the penis, and veno-occlusive mechanism is essential for normal erectile function. It has been demonstrated that deprivation of testosterone results in apoptosis of cells from the cavernosal and spongiosal tissue. In animal experiments on castrated rats, the importance of testosterone in normalizing erectile function and nitric oxide synthetase activity has been demonstrated.[1] Even an individual with low testosterone levels can achieve erection. However, in elderly males, normal testosterone levels appear to be important for erection.[8] Unlike testosterone, DHT does not seem to affect the erectile function. DHT is a paracrine hormone exerting its action in the tissue of origin. The intact erectile function in the presence of low DHT levels in men with 5α- reductase enzyme deficiency and in men receiving finasteride, and restoration of erectile function in hypogonadal men in response to 7-alpha- methyl- 9-nortestosterone, a 5α-reductase-resistant androgen, suggests that conversion of testosterone to DHT is not necessary for penile erection.[1]

Thus, the testosterone, through its humoral endocrine and local paracrine effects is relevant in central and peripheral modulation of sexual function than locally acting DHT.[1]

It's all in the studies man. L-arginine is hocus pocus as far i'm concerned. Pharmaceutical grade nitric oxide boosters work, the later not so much. NO2 supplements will not give you an erection if you're anxious and can't concentrate.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, I'm going to finish my current batch of it.

All in all, I've had ED for a long time, it's what is discouraging me from taking finasteride, and it's really detrimentally impacted my life. I don't approve of these studies that say it's all in the head. In all due respect: No.

I understand intellectually that these herbs and supplements likely do nothing, but desperation is a powerful motivator.

I am also trying to lose weight (successfully albeit slowly) and nofap. Nofap is difficult because I often get insomnia. With that said, I wish I had known about nofap years ago, it's got a lot of positive testimonials.

shookwun

Reaction score
Might have p**rn induced erectile dysfunction?

A lot of men who are aggressive p**rn users and don't date actively will have mild experience, and symptoms of ED. Should taper off once you get comfortable with a women though.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Might have p**rn induced erectile dysfunction?

A lot of men who are aggressive p**rn users and don't date actively will have mild experience, and symptoms of ED. Should taper off once you get comfortable with a women though.

That's what I'm hoping. It's what I'm trying.

Quitting masturbation is difficult due to sporadic insomnia. The doctor prescribed me amitriptyline to try and get me to fall asleep, it's an anti-depressant with sleep as a side effect. It's helping a little bit.

Right now I have not quit, I've just educed the frequency.

He asked me to hold off on the finasteride for a couple months, he said if I try two new drugs at once it will be difficult to know which is causing which side effects, should I get any. But the prescription is on hold at the pharmacy whenever i want to start.

g.i joey

Reaction score
i am also a little overweight (5'11, 220 pounds) and i think that maybe this is causing the finasteride to aromatize into estrogen. I also think that finasteride may give me a little anxiety and that in turn may effect my erections because im so nervous about performing. Its really hit and miss lately man, last week she blew me for like half hour straight and i was going strong every minute, after that night i went on like a 4 day p**rn binge due to my frien recently passing me a brazzers account for free LOL. this week i went limp like 3 minutes in.

It sucks because i feel like i found a girl i really wanna be with, probably more than any other girl ive dated before and this may be causing a huge problem in our rlationship, i had to bring it up to her what the culprit might be. Shes a pharmacist and claims that alot of men grab this stuff daily and that i should look for other problems and consider my level of attraction to her before i stop taking propecia. Anyways, she did some research on her own tonight and suggested i give propecia a break. We both agreed that once this resolves i will resume my finasteride regimen. Although i enjoy her support i feel like she really wants me to keep my hair and idk how long i could do that without finasteride.

Shookwun, i wanted to ask man, if my destiny is nw6 by 30 is there any way i could go around getting a transplant without my hair looking like a birds nest in the future? I only want scarless methods, currently about to hit nw3 at 23 btw.

Hairloss23

Banned
Reaction score
dutasteride

libido = normal

shookwun

Reaction score
i am also a little overweight (5'11, 220 pounds) and i think that maybe this is causing the finasteride to aromatize into estrogen. I also think that finasteride may give me a little anxiety and that in turn may effect my erections because im so nervous about performing. Its really hit and miss lately man, last week she blew me for like half hour straight and i was going strong every minute, after that night i went on like a 4 day p**rn binge due to my frien recently passing me a brazzers account for free LOL. this week i went limp like 3 minutes in.

It sucks because i feel like i found a girl i really wanna be with, probably more than any other girl ive dated before and this may be causing a huge problem in our rlationship, i had to bring it up to her what the culprit might be. Shes a pharmacist and claims that alot of men grab this stuff daily and that i should look for other problems and consider my level of attraction to her before i stop taking propecia. Anyways, she did some research on her own tonight and suggested i give propecia a break. We both agreed that once this resolves i will resume my finasteride regimen. Although i enjoy her support i feel like she really wants me to keep my hair and idk how long i could do that without finasteride.

Shookwun, i wanted to ask man, if my destiny is nw6 by 30 is there any way i could go around getting a transplant without my hair looking like a birds nest in the future? I only want scarless methods, currently about to hit nw3 at 23 btw.
I cant say for certain. All I can recommend is getting an examination done by Rahal seeing as you live in Ottawa. No procedure is scarless, they all involve their own risks, but FUE seems to most favorable for anything under 2500 grafts. Id say go for a FUT if you don't mind having to cut your hair to a 2.5 on the back near the scar.

My suggestion is to abstain from p**rn for awhile then reevaluate your performance with your on going partner.

I don't see the point in coming on and off finasteride as you have demonstrated the ability to perform and have an erection. No point having your hormones bounce up and down just to later come back on. This tells me that your ED experience maybe just performance related anxiety in some way or another. Another reason being is if you can wank to p**rn then finasteride isn't the problem.

Over weight people tend to be a cesspool for estrogen which can relate to problems. Finasteride, and side effects seem to effect these people the most. Loosing weight should also help

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score

Losing weight is hard, and gets harder as you get older. I recommend trying to lose weight at 23, rather than at 32 as I am. I've cut down 40 lbs myself, am now 5'11 and ~202 lbs, but it's been very difficult. At our height we should weigh a maximum of 185 lbs.

There have been some studies on obesity and erectile dysfunction. They're not the most rigorous studies, but the correlation is there.

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=198993
Conclusion Lifestyle changes are associated with improvement in sexual function in about one third of obese men with erectile dysfunction at baseline.

g.i joey

Reaction score
Hey dude yeah I mean I used to be 300 in highschool lol and my erections were going strong. I used to bang my ex girl sometimes 4-6 times a day, given she was gorgeous and I dated her solely for that reason. I.managed to drop to 195 in a year of intense dieting and just in time for prom.

I agree though. It's already harder to lose weight st 23 as oppose to.when I was 16 so sooner the better I hope!

And shookwun, I need to come off finasteride for myself.. these performance problems take a hit on my self esteem and last night made me feel SOOO beta you don't even understand. I need to get off finasteride so I could **** her like she needs to be haha Im a dog in bed and lately I just don't feel like engaging in all the foreplay I used to love doing plus she's convinced I'm not attracted to her.

On the subject of transplant I really don't want to have a scar so fut is completely off the table for me but I really hope hair transplant technology makes an advancement because realistically that's what could save us all.

Sweeping

Reaction score
F*cking hell, blames finasteride for his erection problems. Later admits he binged on p**rn for the last week. smh

shookwun

Reaction score
IF YOU CAN JERK OFF TO p**rn WHILE ON FINASTERIDE THEN the problem isn't finasteride but YOU.

Think logically about this.

it's either performance related anxiety, PIED or a mixture of the two.

if finasteride was the problem you wouldn't be getting it up while you spank to brazzers

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
IF YOU CAN JERK OFF TO p**rn WHILE ON FINASTERIDE THEN the problem isn't finasteride but YOU.

Think logically about this.

it's either performance related anxiety, PIED or a mixture of the two.

if finasteride was the problem you wouldn't be getting it up while you spank to brazzers

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

In my case, the jerking off has to be "aggressive", and ejaculation happens from a semi-erect dick.

It doesn't get up to 90 degrees.

So, personally I'm hoping it's PIED, because if it's that then there's a treatment.