Finally Going To Take The Plunge (i Think)...

Anda1

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been a client at one of the clubs for the past 23 years and think it's time to jump ship. A few questions for those of you who have already made the plunge:

1) Factoring in the cost of the system, its longevity, the initial cut-in, and the supplies, what's the approximate monthly cost of the do it yourself method? My current solution runs just shy of $400.

2) I currently wear a lace system with side/back poly. Would you suggest I stick with that or look into the "Super Silk" or "High Definition" systems offered by various vendors?

3) Is it worth it to opt for a hair type upgrade (Remy, European, virgin)?

Any other advice (including recommended vendors, or your current setup) is appreciated.

Thank you,
Anda

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Anda

1. I'm paying annually US$500 for systems (two-and-a-bit per year), $200 for cut-ins and maybe $100 - 150 for everything else. So say $70 - 75 a month. Cut-ins are very variable and could be less or more. Of course I would have to have haircuts even if I had my natural hair back, so arguably these are not really a cost of wearing a piece. The "everything else" is front-end loaded, in that you will probably buy stuff at the start like scalp protector, colour correcting shampoo etc. which will last multiple years. Some people seem to pay a lot of tax or import duty too, depending where they are.

2. Your design is tried and tested. I am not aware that "supersilk" and "high definition" have any fixed meaning - probably mostly just marketing puff. A "high definition" hairline may mean one with a graduated density and/or single knotting. Those are both worth having, and they come as standard from the good suppliers.

3. "Remy" and "virgin" do have fixed meanings, but they are both wildly over-used, and you have no way of knowing whether you are getting anything extra for the money. I wouldn't bother with these, and just focus on picking a good supplier. European hair is nice, but very expensive, and in my personal opinion not really worth the extra. The Indian hair processed to feel like European hair (which is the default option) is 90% of the way there. But there is a difference, and I guess if you are very well-to-do it's worth trying.

Good luck with the switch!
Noah

Anda1

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Noah,

Thank you for the prompt and thorough reply.

Wow, the cost difference is substantial! I expected it to be less but not that much less, probably because I was figuring on 4-ish systems per year as opposed to 2-ish. This is also good news because it means I'll have half as many break-in periods as well.

When my system gets too loose (or funky) I end up removing/cleaning/attaching myself so I already have the tools for that job--C-22, Ultra Hold, plenty of 99% isopropyl alcohol, plus assorted tapes, and a styrofoam head. I've never used scalp protector but I'll pick up a bottle, as well as some Adjust A Bond. I'm also thinking of cutting my own hair (not the system) with a clipper and guard setup or maybe some sort of vacuum device. What's your take on that?

Thank you for the information about the different hair types. Indian hair (what I currently wear) is nice once I get past the initial break-in period. It does seem a bit dry but it's still a big improvement over the Chinese hair in systems from 20 years ago! I'll start with the standard Indian hair and see how it goes, especially since I've read that the system I'm currently in is middle-of-the-road in terms of quality.

Once again thank you for the input and have a great weekend,
Anda

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Anda

If you have that amount of experience you will have no problems at all in maintaining your own piece, and I think you'll very soon come to like the control you get and the improvement in your look.

I think the place you are going is at the high end of prices, even by salon standards. I have 2 units in use at a time, and I swap them weekly. I get 10 months out of the pair (i.e. 5 months of solid wear each). That is being fairly rough with them (quite a lot of sweaty activities and beach time), and ditching them before they start to show signs of deterioration. I reckon I could get 6 months if I was more careful BUT, I do swap pieces every week, before the adhesives have had a chance to deteriorate, and that saves some wear on the pieces, and I am pretty careful about protecting them from sun damage with sunscreen. That said, the longevity people get seems to vary enormously. I talk to people who change every 6 weeks, and others who have been wearing the same unit for 18 months.

I use a vacuum cutter myself (a Flowbie) on my horseshoe. It works well with a hairstyle like mine, which is undercut - all the styling and most of the actual hair is actually the hairpiece, and my real hair is just cropped close. I'm not sure it would work quite so well with a more traditional blended fade. Definitely worth a try though.