Finally Gave In.. Day 1 Of Finasteride At 21 Years Old. Do I Have Potential To Save My Hair?

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm 21 years old and have been losing hair since I was 20. For 1 year ive been trying rogaine, nizoral and other hippie stuff that made no difference. It has now gotten to the point where I am losing over 500 hairs per shower( no exaggeration) and have hair on my hands every time I run through my hair. So I am finally giving in and getting on finasteride 0.5mg EOD. I will be using this post as an update on my progress( if i even have any) and side effects over the next few months or hopefully years. My dad went to NW7 at my age so I knew this was always in the cards and am pissed at myself for waiting this long to do something real about it lol.

Wish me luck guys!

Day 1 Images: https://imgur.com/a/8u6lPfn

My regime is going to be:

0.5mg Finasteride every other day
Rogaine 1X a day on hairline only
Nizorol twice a week
Biotin 10 000 mcg once per day
Vitamin D3 3000 IU per day
Weight lifting 3 times a week
Cardio once a week

Last edited:

Kagaho

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Good luck dude.

If you want to maximize your chances of regrowth evaluate dermaroller and minoxidil

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
Good luck dude.

If you want to maximize your chances of regrowth evaluate dermaroller and minoxidil

Thanks! I was looking into derma rollers but was unsure of which size to get. I will use that on my hairline only. And yeah im using rogaine anyways so no need for minoxidil. Im just praying I dont get sides lol, I took my first pill a minute ago.

onceuponatime

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm 21 years old and have been losing hair since I was 20. For 1 year ive been trying rogaine, nizoral and other hippie stuff that made no difference. It has now gotten to the point where I am losing over 500 hairs per shower( no exaggeration) and have hair on my hands every time I run through my hair. So I am finally giving in and getting on finasteride 0.5mg EOD. I will be using this post as an update on my progress( if i even have any) and side effects over the next few months or hopefully years. My dad went to NW7 at my age so I knew this was always in the cards and am pissed at myself for waiting this long to do something real about it lol.

Wish me luck guys!

Day 1 Images: https://imgur.com/a/8u6lPfn

My regime is going to be:

0.5mg Finasteride every other day
Rogaine 1X a day on hairline only
Nizorol twice a week
Biotin 10 000 mcg once per day
Vitamin D3 3000 IU per day
Weight lifting 3 times a week
Cardio once a week

i started 11 days ago and we're the same age, im taking 0.5 mg ED and am taking a bunch of vitamins to assist my hair along the way. Im in the same situation as you, i lost my hair all over my head while the hairline is still intact. Overall tho im aiming to gain my density back while also sme growing hair back. Update me on whether your scalp itch (if you have it) went or not. Good luck my dood.

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
i started 11 days ago and we're the same age, im taking 0.5 mg ED and am taking a bunch of vitamins to assist my hair along the way. Im in the same situation as you, i lost my hair all over my head while the hairline is still intact. Overall tho im aiming to gain my density back while also sme growing hair back. Update me on whether your scalp itch (if you have it) went or not. Good luck my dood.

Thanks man! My hairline is slowly going too unfortunately. I did have scalp itch but it was more of scalp tenderness and soreness. My scalp would get extremely sore and almost painful to touch. Ill let you know if this changes. It really sucks losing hair at this age when most guys our age do not even have this thought in their mind lol.

Have you had any side effects so far in ur 11 days? Is the schlong still working fine?

onceuponatime

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks man! My hairline is slowly going too unfortunately. I did have scalp itch but it was more of scalp tenderness and soreness. My scalp would get extremely sore and almost painful to touch. Ill let you know if this changes. It really sucks losing hair at this age when most guys our age do not even have this thought in their mind lol.

Have you had any side effects so far in ur 11 days? Is the schlong still working fine?

no sides at all, thank f***

Cue Bald

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i don';t think you have male pattern baldness? hair looks fine to me ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
i don';t think you have male pattern baldness? hair looks fine to me ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I wish you were right but I definitely do. I am catching it relatively early before it becomes too noticeable. I catch the hairs in my shower and easily lose 300-500 per shower and my hair is definitely thinner than it was this time last year no question. Also, I have multiple early 20s NW7 in my family and they followed a similar trend where they keep all their hair until their early 20s and then lose it all in a matter of 2-3 years.

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is my wet hair under light.

Attachments

• 35484263_1762803343808048_4812400547522936832_n (1).jpg
    35484263_1762803343808048_4812400547522936832_n (1).jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 753

Mushu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think you have much hairloss. Your hair under light wet, due to your hair texture and being wavy, parts your hair to appear to look worse than it is. Your dry hair pictures look fine. Do you have before pictures?

Since you've already decided to take finasteride to be safe, I wouldn't use minoxidil, Whether you want to derma roll is up to you. Your existing hair may strengthen under finasteride and would be happy to maintain after. Just my opinion.

Cue Bald

Experienced Member
Reaction score
well if you are shedding and have male pattern baldness in your family, well if i was in that situation i too would take finasteride. i wish i had taken finasteride when i was at your stage. i was shedding hundreds of hair but i ignored it until i was almost Norwood 4, then i noticed how different girls treated me and was shocked, that is when i got on finasteride but i wish i had gotten on it at Norwood 1, my life would be so different now :-(

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your hair does not look too bad considering it is wet under lighting. But if you have the family history, then Finasteride+topical Minoxidil would be the first step in helping stave off baldness. I would take .5mg/day since the half life is very short even if Finasteride is a suicide inhibitor. You will want to take this for 9-12months before making judgements. For the very few that do not respond, moving onto something like Duasteride+low dose oral Minoxidil would be in the cards. It has been shown that depending on your genome, some respond better to one drug vs. the other.

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think you have much hairloss. Your hair under light wet, due to your hair texture and being wavy, parts your hair to appear to look worse than it is. Your dry hair pictures look fine. Do you have before pictures?

Since you've already decided to take finasteride to be safe, I wouldn't use minoxidil, Whether you want to derma roll is up to you. Your existing hair may strengthen under finasteride and would be happy to maintain after. Just my opinion.

Its the shedding 300+ hairs that made me take it. Every time I style my hair,shower,apply oils or massage my scalp a bunch of hair falls out. With that my hairline has also been receding for a year. If it wasnt for the massive hair falling i wouldnt be on finasteride. It first started off with just slightly thinning hairline and I would have never taken finasteride for just that.

I guess most people who are in my position would end up taking finasteride 2 years from where I am currently. I rather just take it now and hope for maintenance rather than take it 2 years from now and hope for growth. Hopefully a cure or more safer treatment comes within the next 2 years.

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your hair does not look too bad considering it is wet under lighting. But if you have the family history, then Finasteride+topical Minoxidil would be the first step in helping stave off baldness. I would take .5mg/day since the half life is very short even if Finasteride is a suicide inhibitor. You will want to take this for 9-12months before making judgements. For the very few that do not respond, moving onto something like Duasteride+low dose oral Minoxidil would be in the cards. It has been shown that depending on your genome, some respond better to one drug vs. the other.

Thanks! Yeah my family history on one side is insane with hairloss. Everyone goes full NW6-7 in their 20s including my dad who at my age was already a NW6ish. I am going to do 0.5mg every other day first to see if the shedding stops and I see less hairs fall. If it doesnt, then ill move on to taking it every day. If that doesnt work either then ill do 1mg per day. If that doesnt work either I can atleast go bald knowing I did what I could lol(aslong as I dont get any sides, if I do im getting off asap and accepting hairloss).

Cue Bald

Experienced Member
Reaction score
for me it didn't really affect getting a job or how my friends treated me (other than them feeling sorry for me and no longer talking about sex/girls to me) but it really affected how girls treated me. no more smiling at me in the shop aisles, or when walking down the street; basically getting ignored by them

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ive been on finasteride for almost a week now and here is what happened so far. I assure you that there is no nocebo effect here as I went in with a positive mindset and I still do believe that for most people finasteride will not do any harm.

1. My hair fall hasn't stopped. Still easily 300+ hairs in the shower every day, and my scalp is continuing to become more visible in light. I suspect that at this current rate I will look bald in 5 or so months. Obviously this is expected, I am not expecting results after 1 week and I am sure the medication just needs more time to kick in. Scalp soreness and itch still persist.

2. My libido has definitely dropped significantly. For the past 3 days I haven't got a single boner at all which is very unusual for me. Today I tried to beat the meat just to make sure everything was working and it took me 15+ min of watching videos just to get it up which is also very unusual. However, once I did get it up, my boner was just as hard as it usually is and even the orgasm was no different than before finasteride. It was just getting it up in the first place that was difficult. Also my nut was basically water when usually is it much thicker and stickier.

3. Whenever I take the pill, my index finger and pinkie finger become numb for like 10-15 min. This is the most weirdest thing, its not really a negative side effect but its just odd. I have never heard of this happening to anyone before online lol. I assure you this is def not nocebo but its just weird lol. If any of you experience something similar please let me know.

My question is, at this point is it worth continueing to see if the sides go away by themselves? Have any of you had sides at first but then it went away and you were able to use finasteride for years with no problems?

My dad went full bald (was rocking captain picard look) at 21 (my age currently) and he lost it all within 2 years. We have aggressive male pattern baldness in our family where once it starts we lose it all quickly. Every single male past the age of 25 on my dads side is NW5 at lowest with diffuse thinning.

Any advice/thoughts is apreciated!

biddybomb

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I never had bad sides but you can't give up yet. Let your body adjust and it is likely most sides you talk about will ease off in time. Although the sudden drop in libido isn't generally a good sign. I think that side-effect is universal but I never noticed it to be anything too significant.

It is interesting because you have awesome hair right now with a perfect hairline, but you are just on that cliffs edge. If you do not treat it you will likely become a NW6 pretty fast given the thinning over all the prone areas to male pattern baldness.