Finally almost recovered from Rogaine

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
do the wrinkles/dark circles/puffy face only occur if you use minoxidil on the front hairline? Or on the crown as well?

ninjaxnew

Reaction score
i have to confirm this to be true

ive only started minoxidil 5% for a month and even once a day

and it has really given me horrible black under eyes cirles...i look like i haven't slept for months

and not only that...i now have wrinkles on my forehead!!!!! my forehead was perfect!!!! now it has bumps and wrinkles!!!!

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I suggest we just keep each other updated on whether we recovered. At least you noticed the side effects way earlier than I did, so your chances of recovery are probably higher.

Person123

Reaction score
i was on that poison (minoxidil) for 4 months. The following happened
1. massive hair shed, it looked terrible
2. swelling of face
3. heart palpitations
4. wrinkles on forehead
5. dark under eyes

it took me about 6 months after i quit for my face/skin/body to go completely back to normal

billytk01z

Reaction score
I was on minoxidil foam about 5 years and I used to apply on all over head and I ended up with huge bags under my eyes, wrinkles, huge pores, fat face, etc... so I ended up quitting and it took more than a year for my face to improve...

Recently I got back on to minoxidil liquid and I am only applying in the crown area.. So I am wondering do the wrinkles/dark circles/puffy face only occur if the minoxidil touches the face from runs or contact from pillows when sleeping, etc... or does the side effects happen regardless of where you apply minoxidil because of systemic effects?

evasoo

Reaction score
Hello !! I´m writting from Spain I really hope you understand my English.
I´m a 41 old woman, who nobody never thought I was my age when I said it. ( Before using minoxidil).
I´ve been on minoxidil for 3 years. (I stopped 4 months ago) and switch to a natural remedy... My face definitely got an important Minoxidil damage..;
I always had a lot of fat face, nice cheeks, full face.... I have now a sunken face, with no cheeks, marked nasolabial wrinkles, shagging, puffed eyes, and I would say caursing features . I think I´ve lost more than a 50% fat from my face. I also have a completely spoiled skin, not alive , dry, but whith some milliums and black marks, big pores.... etc . Horrible. When I meet people who haven´t seen me in 2 or 3 years they look amazed and say " You´ve lost a lot of wheigth. But I´havent. I have 2 or 3 more kilograms than my ussual. I knew this was not a Normal proccesing aging.
Yesterday, after 9 months of research !!! ( when I firts realize the huge changes in my face) I magically found through internet " Than Minoxidil had the fault!. I´m completelly convinced now. YES,, MINOXIDIL INHIBIT FIBROBLASTOS AFECTING COLLAGEN PRODUCTION, and "I vitro showed to kill collagen existent cells". Some of us have seen the Studies. I Did
I have a lot of questions that I hope some of you can maybe answer, but mains are:

After quitting Minoxidil use, did your skin recovered? IF So..., How long did it take ? Basically, is it reversible or not.

Apart from the questions, I want to tell you that I found , in a Spanish forum, a guy recommended the treatment PLASMA RICH IN PLATELET ( and Grown Factors from the platelet)
He said , he did it , and he`s got quite good results. I tried to contac he.
I give importance to this information (prp) becose I continued researching and I´ve read something REALLY interesting that makes me think this treatment can work, that I will explain next time if you like .
Now you have to excuse me but it´s hard for me to think, and write in your language, And I`m really tired from reading...and reading... for the weekend. But I´m really happy AT the End I discovered the origin of my problem! And I never thougt it was the MINOXIDIL .

Regards, and I hope you answer

Eva

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Short version: Partially reversible, partially not. Collagen synthesis takes many months, and the older you are, the longer it takes. As far as I know - but I'm not a biologist or doctor - collagen synthesis for the type of collagen your skin is made of and filled with should take around 1 year at your age, maybe even a bit more. And that only under the assumption that you're not exposed to a lot of sunlight, which, depending on the area of Spain you are from, might be a problem. Sunlight exposure will slow down the recovery process.
The parts that are mostly reversible are the additional wrinkles - once your collagen has recovered, they will be "pressed out" again by the restored additional collagen underneath to some extent. Not completely, but for the most part.
The part that is not reversible is the change of skin texture, if you had any. I did have a change of texture from minoxidil and that never recovered.

The long version can be found in this thread: http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interac...fects-(wrinkles-dark-circles)-and-alternative
It is a huge amount of text but it is very detailed about the causes of minoxidil-induced side effects on the skin and my own recovery process, and also how much minoxidil you can use w/o side effects in case you had any (I use 50% of the recommended dose now and am side-effect free).

If you want to speed up recovery a tiny bit, drink lots of green tea and consume foods with high levels of antioxidants. These are good for you anyway and slow down the aging process.

Secretlybatman

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if i got this from minoxidil http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interac...wn-lines-from-hell-Related-to-minoxidil/page4

Masakage

Reaction score
Hello everyone :)

The first time I've used minoxidil, I used it within the directions, the precise dose (hell I even used less than prescribed) and I've had no issues whatsoever. None, not even one side effect. It gave me an itch once but that was pretty much it. I think it worked well, my hair thickened out, and hair loss ceased.

The second time I started using minoxidil (which was in 19th of August) I started to have wrinkles, skin issues, a minor rash, itchiness, bumpy forehead with very rough skin, at first I noticed that my skin became much drier than normally (I have very oily skin) However this only happened after three weeks. But, here was my mistake. I previously suffered from major hairloss losing hair from Norwood 1 to Norwood 2, and it all happened within a month, which was very frightening to me, leading to the logical decision of re-using minoxidil. I foolishly overdosed. I overdosed waaay too much. I finished a bottle within 10 days (yup, 3 times the recommended dose)... there was a day when I had unexplained weight gain ( I gained 5 Kilograms) but that subsided two days later.

Right now, I stopped using minoxidil for approximately 2 days. Itchiness reduced a bit, redness/minor inflammations reduced. The dark circles too have shown signs of ceasing. But only the damned wrinkle stayed, along with the bumpy forehead and the rough skin. I'm trying to cleanse my body through exercise, food, and water. Let's see how that goes. After it recovers hopefully I will start using minoxidil again but this time I will be using less than the recommended dose to see how that goes as well. Any idea of how long it takes to recover from minoxidil? I read on an article that it takes 76 hours for minoxidil to leave the system, completely.

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Some of minoxidil' side effects stem from vasodilation, some from water detention, and some from collagen breakdown.

Water detention and vasodilation-related side effects will disappear first, usually much quicker than two weeks, probably closer to one week.

Collagen reformation, however, takes multiple months depending on your age and depending on how strongly and for how long you overdosed. If you also had skin texture changes, these will likely not recover at all.

Masakage

Reaction score
What do you mean by change in skin texture? I'm not sure if the texture itself have changed, I mean it's a bit weird, it is sort of rough yet sort of smooth (there are small bumps on the forehead and on the ears), which is possible due to the rash I've developed from it, maybe some sort of allergic reaction.

Well I did overdose, in a month I used 90 ml instead of 60, hopefully it will get out of my system quite soon and I'd recover. I should've not overdosed :( On the bright side it did greatly change the thickness of my hair. I read in a previous post of yours that you reduced the dosage and it gave you no side effects, my question to you, did you stop and wait till recovery before re-using minoxidil again or did you just directly lower the dosage while having those side effects?

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I stopped minoxidil altogether till sufficient recovery, because I didnt know what dose was already too much for me. Shedding from dropping minoxidil sucked, but I had no other choice. Then, after sufficient recovery (in the beginning I didnt know if I would recover at all), I started minoxidil again at 0.5 to 0.7 (hard to correctly dose in these ranges) once per day. After being on that for many months and establishing that no additional side effects would manifest, I increased my dose to 1 ml a day (instead of 1 ml twice a day). 1 ml a day seems to be safe. I get sume puffiness and a tiny bit of darkened circles around my eyes, so I guess approximately 1ml is the dose I should apply per day. The fact that I had additional regrowth from 1 ml as compared to 0.7 ml also showed that the tissue was not yet saturated with minoxidil and thus only little amounts would go systemic or off-application-site.

What I mean with texture change is that the skin beneath my eyes got very pore-y and unfirm.

Masakage

Reaction score
Yep, definitely the cause was minoxidil. My skin has improved, retention and puffiness gone completely. The skin is a bit rough but it seems to be falling off and cracking, which is a good sign that it will be fully back to normal within a week or two. The forehead bumps are disappearing, my skin is becoming smoother, all great signs of recovery. I also noticed that my skin became oily again (I have very oily skin usually) but I observed that when I was on minoxidil my skin was never oily, it was very dry, which is weird, I thought it may have something to do with sebum being minimized due to more blood pumped into hair follicles. I think people with oily skin are more prone for systemic absorption.

Well that's great, now I have to find an appropriate dosage, will start in a week or two as well after I fully recover. Emm, did the reduced dosage provide you regrowth from minoxidil? I really hope using the right dosage would give the maximum benefits yet minimum side effect, otherwise I'd have to embrace baldness by 22 :/ It would really be terrible not to be able to use it, I mean I'm already gaining great benefits from it (Hell, I'm even growing hair on my forehead now and above my eyes! lol).

It is very hard to permanently damage the skin, we humans create more than 40 tons worth of skin during our lifetime, so logically it should recover well and you could even improve it by taking good care of it.

What I find the weirdest of all, is that they don't actually warn the users of this, before using it I thought people who complained about getting aging side-effects were delusional or simply aging, how wrong was I. I know they do note of puffiness, but why not everything else? Very weird if their trial results didn't show anyone with those side effects.. :/

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes, we shed a lot of skin during our lifetimes, but a total turnover in one area takes, if I remember correctly from high school, around 7 years.

The reduced dosage did yield regrowth. Started off again at 0.7 ml daily dosage, now at 1.0 ml. 0.7 ml already provided some regrowth, 1.0 ml gives even more.

Why they don't warn users? My guess is twofold:
a) Because they don't know and didn't notice in studies. When minoxidil trials were conducted, its now known effect on collagen was completely unknown. If your trial group consists of typical Androgenetic Alopecia sufferers - which are usually 30+ and not around 20-25 - you will not notice as easily. Their skin already shows significant signs of aging, so you dont notice additional ones. And even if you notice, you'll just think "yeah, more aging, now he hit the age where it really shows".
b) Because it is quite seldom. The reason for side effects on the recommended dose seem to be unusually high values of minoxidil sulfotransferase, which only few people have.

The rarity of this, in combination with the fact that at the time of trials minoxidil' effect on collagen was unknown and that trial subjects were probably too old for a distinct effect to be noticeable are probably the reasons.

evasoo

Reaction score
bejn, Thaks a lot!
I´m glad you at least partially recovered ,that´s good news!.
I´ve already had tried to read that interesting post you made, but I´ve been doing so many research ( in English + ..(accademic!)) to get here...that I think for the moment I can´t assimilate any more. But I´ll try to read it . I´m thankful for all the reasearch you made / shared.
I don´t Know if I will ever recovery because I´ve been 3 or 3,5 years using minoxidil and using a huge amount maybe 5 ml /day ( yes I sadly overdose, I thought it was completely safe ...)
Some months passed since I stopped , and my face is still the same, enlarged pores, wrinkles, puffy eyes, bad skin tone and dark circles.. I used to have a very good collagen ...all my friends used to tell me, I hope I could improve a little
Minoxidil is supossed to act , as a lysil hidroxilase enzime inhibitor. This enzime plays a importan role in the development of healthy collagen. That´s what I ve read in some studies. In the studie it´s said that quitting minoxidil would stops that inhibition ( lysil hidroxilase). I hope so! and people affected could start developing again healthy collagen.

I was going mad, thinking about was happening to my skin , until I understood minoxidil has the fault. In the forums in your country there´s a lot of information about this minoxidil collagen issue and people complaining about it . But In muy countrie there´s none! I researched but I just found two gays saying this. This gays talked about how Platelet rich in plasma helped them. I´m problably try to fix my skin with some dermatological help.
Best wishes

Masakage

Reaction score
I started again using minoxidil, three days so far, decreased the dose. No itchiness which is a good sign, nothing. Although the first time I applied it I had a headache, don't think it was minoxidil related, I was exhausted that day.

Emmm, Evasoo, I don't mean to be rude or anything, to anyone actually, but isn't minoxidil a temporary solution if used correctly? Didn't you recover your hair already? Don't get me wrong, I'm saying this purely from seeing this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPPdiD0ilpw&list=UUPU39JKhcG8OYIINfhiCCqA

And this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgFUrNcGWAY

evasoo

Reaction score
Hello Masakage, probably because my English is limited , I´m not getting any rudeness from your words, so don´t worry about it.., I don´t do it
I´m sure minoxidil does help a lot of people with hair regrowth, but althought I was using 3 times the recomended dosage ( That´s why affected my skin so bad! ) I just got a little regrowth ( but I was thinking minoxidil was helping me with not loosing more hair). My alopecia it´s not dramatic, I still have a good hair, and always took care of it, but my father had no hair, her sisters ( my anties) very little hair, and my brother who looks like really like me, is completely bald. I´m sure Minoxidil it´s a good treatment for hair. For some people more than for another. But a good treatment.
But what I´m sure as well, , is that because my really bad experience spoiling my skin. I´m not going to touch that stuff again!

evasoo

Reaction score
I´m really sorry! I´ve been posting in some threads here, but I just realized that is the Men´s forum! And that there is another for women
I apologize.