Fibrosis & Calcification Reversal: Rob's Hypotheses & Theories

benjt2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I don't know how many people of you are familiar with Rob's theories. (As he is also selling an ebook with a regimen suggestion - to which I will get in due time - I will not post a link to his website ("PHH") or blog here. We had enough trouble with monetization allegations here in the last couple of days).

I'll try to summarize his hypothesis: Rob argues - very convincingly, I even checked out his sources and read many of them - that DHT is a downstream effect of another inflammation process going on in Androgenetic Alopecia scalp. DHT has been known as a response of the body in the inflammation process. Depending on the kind of environment and reason for the inflammation, DHT summons TGF-B1 which is known to cause calcification and fibrosis. Usually, DHT summons TGF-B1 in processes caused by and/or around muscles. This has been shown in a bunch of other chronic inflammatory diseases involving muscles which - surprise! - also lead to fibrosis. As we all know, Androgenetic Alopecia leads to fibrosis as well. Additionally, DHT has been known as a fat killer and in Androgenetic Alopecia scalp, the subcutaneous fat is being depleted, which further derives follicles of nutrients on top of the problems with fibrosis and calcification.
His hypothesis elegantly explains the "DHT paradox": DHT leads to hair growth in most areas of the body (beard, chest, for some even the back) whereas in the scalp of men prone to Androgenetic Alopecia, it leads to the destruction of hair (due to fibrosis, calcification, and loss of subcutaneous fat). This happens because in the presence of chronic "tension" stress (like can be induced by or around muscles), DHT leads to TGF-B1 (see above).

This was just a very very short summary of his approach. I highly recommend reading his paper which connects so many dots in hairloss research: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0306987717310411

In his e-book (which Rob is selling, full disclosure) he argues that there are two main things which people should do to fight hairloss, by reducing fibrosis and calcification:
  • intensive head massages
  • nutritional changes
I read his blog posts on nutrition and they were, unfortunately, not remotely as well researched or argued as the ones on the physiological changes in the scalp because of DHT/TGF-B1 and their relation with mechanical/tension stress. I even found some of his nutrition advice to be wrong so I will not take his ideas on nutrition into consideration (except maybe the value of vitamin K2).

However, as I said, his work on the physiological changes in the scalp is amazing and combines so many unsolved questions in hair loss research into an elegant hypothesis they are hard to dismiss. As I stated before, I highly recommend people getting famiiliar with his hypotheses.

Now, why I opened this thread and wrote this lengthy introduction: In his e-book, Rob's main point are certain strong head massages. These can according to him alleviate the permanent mechanical stress on/by the involved muscles, relax them, and additionally break up fibrosis and calcilfication. If done as vigorously as he advises, they supposedly even lead to accute inflammation leading to remodeling of tissue and growth factor release - almost the same mechanism as dermarolling.
He has 7 success stories on his website claiming to be from massages over the course of 6 to 12 months. However, 7 success stories (for whom we don't know if they really only massaged and didn't use minoxidil or finasteride alongside) is too little for me to by his e-book. Also, one of the success cases only had regrowth after taking care of his vitamin D deficiency (so likely not really Androgenetic Alopecia) and another case (Rob himself) had such little hairloss he was almost a fullhead.
That is why I wanted to ask the community...
  1. what do you think about his theories?
  2. does anyone have any experience (mayb even results) with this method except for the alleged success stories on the website where he sells his e-book?
I actually already asked him in a comment under one of his articles whether he has any statistics on how many people exactly were successful by following his approach, but no reply from his side so far.

Personally I am full of doubt that vigorous massages can really do something but I added them to my daily regimen. If dermarolling already has zero results for me, adding another completely ineffective treatment can't make my hair worse :D
I still think his ideas warrant some discussion.

tl;dr: Yes, it's another massage thread. But it's based on a very well researched and convincing theory of how Androgenetic Alopecia happens, answering a lot of questions which were not answered in one consistent theory before.

bluesuedeshoes

Established Member
Reaction score
Wont pay for any new info on it, but I'm on board.

I definitely think fibrosis and calcification are the enemy to regrowth. Seems we need to crack that nut if we are to have a hope in hell of recovering what was once.

I take d3 and k2 now, which are good to take anyway if you suffer from hairloss, as it helps to pick up one's shitty mood. I cant be arsed with the manual massage so I use some old handheld electronic massager (this guy https://www.brookstone.com/pd/max-2-dual-node-percussion-massager/324640p.html), which on the most powerful setting really knocks the sh*t out of my scalp. It's obviously nothing like the massages I've seen people suggest one does, but I can hear the occasional crack/pop suggesting it's breaking some of the calcification.

In terms of results, it helps with the inflammation for a while but that's all I can add - that said I honestly only use a few mins each day, and often forget to.

Saulo

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm new to the website, so I hope I'm doing my post the correct way...

A few things to watch for:

- Maybe the often reported "oily scalp/skin" is fat being expeled from the area underneath the skin;
- If the loss of fat is one of the results of the balding process, maybe that's why some mention things like "Emu oil", "Coconut Oil", etc bring results or, at least, reduces shedding, thinning, etc - although I'm not sure that just rubbing such things on your scalp will make'em reach the proper area.

Ziggyz123

Established Member
Reaction score
I read almost nothing of this. However, if rob or whoever thinks that massaging can stop fibrosis due to muscle tension... why not just have Botox injections...

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I don't know how many people of you are familiar with Rob's theories. (As he is also selling an ebook with a regimen suggestion - to which I will get in due time - I will not post a link to his website ("PHH") or blog here. We had enough trouble with monetization allegations here in the last couple of days).

I'll try to summarize his hypothesis: Rob argues - very convincingly, I even checked out his sources and read many of them - that DHT is a downstream effect of another inflammation process going on in Androgenetic Alopecia scalp. DHT has been known as a response of the body in the inflammation process. Depending on the kind of environment and reason for the inflammation, DHT summons TGF-B1 which is known to cause calcification and fibrosis. Usually, DHT summons TGF-B1 in processes caused by and/or around muscles. This has been shown in a bunch of other chronic inflammatory diseases involving muscles which - surprise! - also lead to fibrosis. As we all know, Androgenetic Alopecia leads to fibrosis as well. Additionally, DHT has been known as a fat killer and in Androgenetic Alopecia scalp, the subcutaneous fat is being depleted, which further derives follicles of nutrients on top of the problems with fibrosis and calcification.
His hypothesis elegantly explains the "DHT paradox": DHT leads to hair growth in most areas of the body (beard, chest, for some even the back) whereas in the scalp of men prone to Androgenetic Alopecia, it leads to the destruction of hair (due to fibrosis, calcification, and loss of subcutaneous fat). This happens because in the presence of chronic "tension" stress (like can be induced by or around muscles), DHT leads to TGF-B1 (see above).

This was just a very very short summary of his approach. I highly recommend reading his paper which connects so many dots in hairloss research: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0306987717310411

In his e-book (which Rob is selling, full disclosure) he argues that there are two main things which people should do to fight hairloss, by reducing fibrosis and calcification:
  • nutritional changes
I read his blog posts on nutrition and they were, unfortunately, not remotely as well researched or argued as the ones on the physiological changes in the scalp because of DHT/TGF-B1 and their relation with mechanical/tension stress. I even found some of his nutrition advice to be wrong so I will not take his ideas on nutrition into consideration (except maybe the value of vitamin K2).

However, as I said, his work on the physiological changes in the scalp is amazing and combines so many unsolved questions in hair loss research into an elegant hypothesis they are hard to dismiss. As I stated before, I highly recommend people getting famiiliar with his hypotheses.

Now, why I opened this thread and wrote this lengthy introduction: In his e-book, Rob's main point are certain strong head massages. These can according to him alleviate the permanent mechanical stress on/by the involved muscles, relax them, and additionally break up fibrosis and calcilfication. If done as vigorously as he advises, they supposedly even lead to accute inflammation leading to remodeling of tissue and growth factor release - almost the same mechanism as dermarolling.
He has 7 success stories on his website claiming to be from massages over the course of 6 to 12 months. However, 7 success stories (for whom we don't know if they really only massaged and didn't use minoxidil or finasteride alongside) is too little for me to by his e-book. Also, one of the success cases only had regrowth after taking care of his vitamin D deficiency (so likely not really Androgenetic Alopecia) and another case (Rob himself) had such little hairloss he was almost a fullhead.
  2. does anyone have any experience (mayb even results) with this method except for the alleged success stories on the website where he sells his e-book?
I actually already asked him in a comment under one of his articles whether he has any statistics on how many people exactly were successful by following his approach, but no reply from his side so far.

Personally I am full of doubt that vigorous massages can really do something but I added them to my daily regimen. If dermarolling already has zero results for me, adding another completely ineffective treatment can't make my hair worse :D

tl;dr: Yes, it's another massage thread. But it's based on a very well researched and convincing theory of how Androgenetic Alopecia happens, answering a lot of questions which were not answered in one consistent theory before.
Hi everyone,

• nutritional changes

I bought the ebook November of 2017 and did the massages for about 4 months. All I got were numb fingers and exacerbated diffuse thinning on top. My front and top was pretty good, but at the time my main concern was the crown. I quit after 4 months because my hair was getting worse. I also changed my diet because he recommended no bread or pasta, oatmeal etcetera. More oysters, bone broth/ collagen supplements, no cruciferous vegetables, more grass fed beef or organic chicken ect.
I freaked out and quit. Not saying that it was the massages, but I decided not to stay with it. It may have worked if I stuck with it but I wasn't willing to risk it.
Got on rolling and minoxidil and started seeing some results in 2 months. Im sticking with this for a year.

jh94

My Regimen
Reaction score
a lot of us have tried this.. his methods help but it's far from a cure

benjt2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I read almost nothing of this. However, if rob or whoever thinks that massaging can stop fibrosis due to muscle tension... why not just have Botox injections...
That's the thing: Botox actually regrows hair and quite a lot, as @WMQ showed.

I bought the ebook November of 2017 and did the massages for about 4 months. All I got were numb fingers and exacerbated diffuse thinning on top. My front and top was pretty good, but at the time my main concern was the crown. I quit after 4 months because my hair was getting worse. I also changed my diet because he recommended no bread or pasta, oatmeal etcetera. More oysters, bone broth/ collagen supplements, no cruciferous vegetables, more grass fed beef or organic chicken ect.
I freaked out and quit. Not saying that it was the massages, but I decided not to stay with it. It may have worked if I stuck with it but I wasn't willing to risk it.
Might have been shedding prior to some results? On his website, he had two cases who shed first before seeing something; one guy was the vit D deficient dude so he doesn't count, but the other one was apparently massaging too vigorously.

a lot of us have tried this.. his methods help but it's far from a cure
Thing is that all this information is spread out all over many different places, that's why I wanted to create a thread specifically for people following this method and to discuss it. To get a bigger picture of how many people were successful with it, and how successful.

As I said in the opening post, I strongly doubt that the massages can actually have such a strong effect. I also think the sample size of responders Rob shows on his website is way too small and he doesn't say anything about whether they are on other treatments or not. Maybe he sold like 200 e-books but only 7 people reported positive results?
Just trying to find people who tried it to either prove me right (or, hopefully) wrong.

auld reekie

My Regimen
Reaction score
As I said in the opening post, I strongly doubt that the massages can actually have such a strong effect. I also think the sample size of responders Rob shows on his website is way too small and he doesn't say anything about whether they are on other treatments or not. Maybe he sold like 200 e-books but only 7 people reported positive results?
Just trying to find people who tried it to either prove me right (or, hopefully) wrong.

I don't know man, how many ebookes have you sold?

auld reekie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Go check my posting history. I've literally posted only on dermarolling so far.

Can we not make this thread into a conspiracy sh*tfest again?

You've been a member for a few weeks pal, I don't think it would be too difficult to make a few posts before selling your e-book, which it certainly looks like you're trying to do, Rob.

auld reekie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Got on rolling and minoxidil and started seeing some results in 2 months. Im sticking with this for a year.

That is interesting, I had been excited by this mechanical stress theory last year and had the same experience. I had been slowly receding with minimal hair loss, began daily massages to counter it and had diffuse thinning at my temples for the first time in my life. May have been a coincidence but this is what happened for me as well.

Last edited:

Tom4362

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You've been a member for a few weeks pal, I don't think it would be too difficult to make a few posts before selling your e-book, which it certainly looks like you're trying to do, Rob.
Omg this is getting so hilarious. Plot twist: Rob and the numberguy from the microneedling thread are the same person. Gotta use multiple angles to scam you know.

Edit: jk, numberman is not a scam and I dont believe the creater of this thread is Rob

auld reekie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Omg this is getting so hilarious. Plot twist: Rob and the numberguy from the microneedling thread are the same person. Gotta use multiple angles to scam you know.

Edit: jk, numberman is not a scam and I dont believe the creater of this thread is Rob

I haven't read that other thread and so I don't know what that has got to do with me. The OP has made a thread about a well discussed topic for which there have been contributions from lots of different people and yet here he is making a whole post about "Rob" and the ebook he's selling. Oh but look closely he said that he doubts the theory so therefore he can't be the one selling it, right? Sure.

Good luck Rob. And especially good luck to anyone who wants to part with their money in response to this.

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That's the thing: Botox actually regrows hair and quite a lot, as @WMQ showed.

Might have been shedding prior to some results? On his website, he had two cases who shed first before seeing something; one guy was the vit D deficient dude so he doesn't count, but the other one was apparently massaging too vigorously.

Thing is that all this information is spread out all over many different places, that's why I wanted to create a thread specifically for people following this method and to discuss it. To get a bigger picture of how many people were successful with it, and how successful.

It is really hard work and doubt that many can stick with it for 40 minutes a day for a year

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think his theory has all answers. I am inclined towards skull expansion theory in recent months.
I has read a paper which was about a study of women with PCOS syndrome and researchers concluded that PCOS women had high intracranial pressure knows as intracranial hypertension. pCOS is believed to be female form of androgenic alopecia. So I should say that bald men could have intracranial hypertension and to mitigate it their skull expands and pushes the scalp skin .intracranial hypertension is associated with androgen sensitivity ,it is fact ,you can get many papers about it . I will post one here. the upward push and downward pull of gravity then do the remaining work of deforestation.
Reduction of cerebrospinal fluid production or increasing its absorption could remodel the skull and reliever of pressure. For fibrosis and calcification massage should work +diet is another helping factor especially vitamins.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
the masage what can really do is that the hair fat or sebum does not accumulate, then there is no problem of its posiible oxidation.
It's strange that in Rob's extensive studies he does not mention it

Saulo

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think his theory has all answers. I am inclined towards skull expansion theory in recent months.
I has read a paper which was about a study of women with PCOS syndrome and researchers concluded that PCOS women had high intracranial pressure knows as intracranial hypertension. pCOS is believed to be female form of androgenic alopecia. So I should say that bald men could have intracranial hypertension and to mitigate it their skull expands and pushes the scalp skin .intracranial hypertension is associated with androgen sensitivity ,it is fact ,you can get many papers about it . I will post one here. the upward push and downward pull of gravity then do the remaining work of deforestation.
Reduction of cerebrospinal fluid production or increasing its absorption could remodel the skull and reliever of pressure. For fibrosis and calcification massage should work +diet is another helping factor especially vitamins.
That could be one of the reasons why Minoxidil works...
Wasn't that developed in order to lower blood pressure?