Few Questions About System And Supplier

SIK89

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey, I got a few questions. I have been wearing a thin skin for a while. And its been ok, but I am not happy with my supplier due to them not providing a graduated hairline or whatever you call it, they also dont have different densitys to chose from.

What suppliers in europe are recommended for thin skin with graduated hairline and not to thick density?

Are there any pros or cons to using a lace over thin skin?

Im assuming a system with lower density and a graduated hairline has a shorter life span. For those of you that are wearing that on a regular. How long does it usually last before you get a new one?

Also do you go to a store and get it cut and fitted?

Noah

Reaction score
Hi SIK89

I will send you a PM about suppliers. So far as the pros and cons of lace and thinskin are concerned, these are the main ones I think:

- lace is breathable and skin is not. Sweat passes through lace and evaporates, but with skin it gets trapped under the base. With lace you can feel the wind and rain on your scalp. With skin you have an impermeable membrane on your head.

- thinskin is much easier to clean than lace. Skin is a shiny impermeable surface, so (within reason) you can give it a scrubbing to get any adhesive residue off. Lace is a delicate netting which can easily be torn or frayed, so it can't be rough-handled like that.

- thinskin looks like real skin when seen from above, so it is great for partings and crowns. At the hairline you can sometimes see a line (the edge of the skin base) if the light catches it the wrong way. Lace is less good at mimicking natural scalp, but it disappears very well at the hairline. Because it is a mesh, it has a fuzzier edge and there is no hard line.

- thinskin has to be attached with glue, and usually a full scalp attachment - i.e. the glue must cover the whole area of the hairpiece base. It's best not to use tape on skin pieces, because you could tear the base when trying to remove the tape. If you don't do a full scalp attachment the unattached part of the base makes a 'plastic bag' noise when touched.

- with lace you can use glue or tape or a combination, and usually people just attach at the perimeter.

For other factors like heat and durability, they are about the same.

Inevitably a lower density piece leaves you less margin for shedding before it becomes unwearable. So in that sense it has a shorter life. Same with a graduated hairline. But this is your appearance you are talking about - would you really wear a huge bushy system with a 'wall of hair' hairline just so you would have to replace it less frequently? I get 5 months each out of my systems, and with a bit of care you could easily get 6 months+. You can increase the lifespan significantly by using sunscreen and hats to stop sun damage, and by care in removing the piece and the use of knot sealer.

Noah