Fanjio's story - (age 19, How Seb Derm has ruined my life)

Fanjio

Reaction score
I am a 19 year old guy presently residing in Pakistan ( A small country in Asia ) and here goes my story.

Ever since I was a child , I would always get complimented on my hair. People would tell me how lucky I am to have such straight silky hair. As I started high-school , I decided to grow my hair longer and oh man did it look great hair or what... I mean people would always say how much they liked my hair and girls I didn't even know would come to me and ask which shampoo and conditioner I used and how good I looked with my hairstyle. Obviously, life was great. During this time , I would use hair mousse on a daily basis as it gave my hair a really good shine and even more volume.

Then a couple of weeks after turning 18, my hair started shedding (or maybe that's when I first noticed it ). I would lose a lot when I would shower or even when I would brush my hair. I also noticed that I had dandruff. I stopped using hair products after that and at the recommendation of my hairdresser started using a good anti-dandruff shampoo. The shedding reduced greatly and I again got on with life. My hair still looked as good as ever but yeah I could see a reduction in the volume my hair possessed. A couple of old friends even commented how my hair had lost it's thickness and looked pretty thin. I didn't pay much attention to this as I thought it could have been a result of my hairdresser " thinning out " my hair too much.

However last December I noticed a pretty bad shed. I had shoulder-length hair at this point of time and my hair still looked amazing. I mean I would see hair everywhere. On my shoulders, in the shower, on my pillow.. I couple of weeks into this shed , my scalp started itching really badly and everytime I would itch I would see hair fall out. Now I was really worried. I went to see my hairdresser if he could help coz I thought this was again just bad dandruff and he could probably suggest me some good shampoo or conditioner. However my hairdresser told me that my hair was falling out pretty badly and this wasn't just dandruff but my scalp was red all over and I would be better off seeing a doctor.

I rushed to a dermatologist for examination and she told me that I had pretty bad dandruff all over my scalp and told me to wash my hair daily with Nizoral Shampoo and apply some scalp lotion all over my scalp daily. With the long hair it was pretty difficult to apply the lotion , so I got my hair cut into a faux-hawk style. I really liked it at first but it made the " dandruff " much more visible and people kept asking me what was wrong with my hair. Now this was really embarrasing. Since it was winters, I just thought it would go away but it kept getting worse and by now I had all these yellowish crustly flakes all over my scalp which if I would try to take out would come off with a few strands of hair attached. Sometimes the flakes would just get caught up in my hair after a shower and it would get real embarrasing infront of people who kept telling me I had lice !! A friend of mine suggested my another dermatologist , whom I visited in mid-February. He carefully examined my scalp and told my I had pretty severe Seborrheic Dermatitis. This was the first time I heard the name. He gave me an injection to reduce the inflammation. He then prescribed some anti-allergic capsules , a scalp lotion and Poly Tar shampoo with which I was supposed to shampoo my hair three times daily. During this period I lost so much hair that I would literally cry everytime I saw a fallen hair.

So I got on with the suggested regime, swallowing tablets everyday & rubbing lotion into my scalp and then washing my hair with the Poly Tar shampoo. To my amazement the treatment did work , the flakes mostly disappeared and my hair started feeling good again. However now my hair was thinner than ever before and I had to apply some sort of products to give my hair some life. I grew out my bangs over to my eyes and would mess up the hair at the top and it did look good. However , my hair would like crap when when wet and I could never go out with my hair wet. Also as soon as I would wake up, my hair would again look like crap .. really greasy and without any life whatsoever. However , one positive which came out was that I was hardly " shedding " any hair. The only time I would lose hair would be when I would shower. I would also get a hair or two on my hands when applying styling products but would hardly ever lose more than 5-7 hairs a day. The fact that I had stopped using a comb/brush and only used my hands to style my hair may have contributed to this.

To be continued....

wotsthedeal

Reaction score
Re: How Seborrheic Dermatitis has ruined my life..well sort of !

Sounds similar to me. My hair loss (sheds) first started right after I grew my hair out longer than it had ever been previously. My hair went from straight to VERY curly and I also developed some scalp problems. Been shedding ever since.

Fanjio

Reaction score

^^^ Yeah man.. I know how frustrating it is. I mean yeah losing hair your hair to male pattern baldness is another thing coz you can't fight genetics and it is down right natural. However losing your hair to some scalp problem is completely something else. Not only that but it also makes your hair look like crap.

G

well, it definitely sucks, but the good news is that you probably don't have male pattern baldness, and with the right treatment should be able to have a full recovery.

Fanjio

Reaction score

TIM for congress. said:
well, it definitely sucks, but the good news is that you probably don't have male pattern baldness, and with the right treatment should be able to have a full recovery.

Yeah but during the last 7-8 months I've really lost a lot of hair and my hair has really thinned out in texture. I just hope it grows back.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score

Fanjio said:
TIM for congress. said:

Yeah but during the last 7-8 months I've really lost a lot of hair and my hair has really thinned out in texture. I just hope it grows back.

If it doesn't, then you have male pattern baldness.

G

ghg said:
Fanjio said:
TIM for congress. said:

If it doesn't, then you have male pattern baldness.
not neccessarily. SD can cause permanant damage to the scalp that cause hair to not grow back. i'd say your best bet is to treat the SD first, and see where that takes you. rogaine can probably help you grow some of the lost hair back faster, but i wouldn't go on any other treatments anytime soon.

Fanjio

Reaction score

TIM for congress. said:
not neccessarily. SD can cause permanant damage to the scalp that cause hair to not grow back. i'd say your best bet is to treat the SD first, and see where that takes you. rogaine can probably help you grow some of the lost hair back faster, but i wouldn't go on any other treatments anytime soon.

In that case do any of the medications come in handy ?

Fanjio

Reaction score
I can't tell you what a frustrating and painful experience this has been. All my life I had been used to people .. esp girls telling me what wonderful hair I had and how good i looked with it and now I had the very same people asking me what was wrong with my hair and if I ever bothered washing it o? Once I was passing by a bunch of girls at school and I heard one tell the other ( referring to me ).. what's happened to this guy's hair ? Also frustrating was the fact that guys with the crappiest possible hair & hairstyles themselves kept asking "what's wrong with your hair man ? " & " dude, you have a serious dandruff problem !!"

G

Fanjio said:
TIM for congress. said:

In that case do any of the medications come in handy ?
Not sure. I'd go see a dermatologist to take care of the skin problem first and foremost since that seems to be the main issue with your hair loss, then worry about regrowing your hair. I know how it sucks to have hair problems, but it's pretty common. Don't let it get down on you. You can at least tell people that the loss is because of a skin disorder and will be back once it gets taken care of.

Fanjio

Reaction score
Fanjio's story -(age 19, Seb Derm has ruined my life )-PIC A

And when I thought things couldn't get any worse.. this happened.

I am on a vacation in San Franciso and thought would use this trip to blow off some steam and wouldnt think about my hair problems at all. But in the last few days, I have encountered a severe SD break out and I have these white flakes all overs my hair. Today I shampooed my hair twice and still coudn't get the flakes out. And need I mention I am losing a lot of hair too. I haven't gone out in the last couple of days since this situation is really embarrasing. Really dont know what to do!!

amsch

Reaction score
Try vichy anti-dandruff shampoo, the one that contains Selenium Sulfide. Helps against SD.

Fanjio

Reaction score
Thought i should post a picture of what my hair looked like when I recoverd from the first very severe SD attack.This was actually mid-April As you can see my hair looks really thin.. there was a time when my hair actually had some volume. Now my hair is in further bad shape.

Attachments

• fanjio.jpg
    fanjio.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 873

amsch

Reaction score
Fanjio said:
Thought i should post a picture of what my hair looked like when I recoverd from the first very severe SD attack.This was actually mid-April As you can see my hair looks really thin.. there was a time when my hair actually had some volume. Now my hair is in further bad shape.

You ask us what to do and ignore my post. That's funny. Don't post pictures, find a solution to your problem and post your recovery pics than. Hair looks fine and not thin in this pic.

Fanjio

Reaction score
^^ well i have been using stuff my derm prescribed.. anyway do u have any firsthand experience with this condition ?

fightDHT

Reaction score
hey Fanjio....what products did your derm prescribe...esp the anti-allergic tablets....everytime i go to a doctor about my dandruff they suggest Selsun or nizoral....these shampoos do help to a small extent but i think i need some internal anti-allergic stuff to really control it....thanks..

Fanjio

Reaction score
fightDHT said:
hey Fanjio....what products did your derm prescribe...esp the anti-allergic tablets....everytime i go to a doctor about my dandruff they suggest Selsun or nizoral....these shampoos do help to a small extent but i think i need some internal anti-allergic stuff to really control it....thanks..

Well he gave me an injection to stop the inflammation. Gave me some oral medicines.Suggested I use a Poly-Tar shampoo and a scalp lotion.

amsch

Reaction score
Fanjio said:
^^ well i have been using stuff my derm prescribed.. anyway do u have any firsthand experience with this condition ?

Yes, and so des ghg. I had some bimples on my scalp, it definately helped. So don't cry around, try it! :)

Fanjio

Reaction score
amsch said:
Fanjio said:

Yes, and so des ghg. I had some bimples on my scalp, it definately helped. So don't cry around, try it! :)

During my last SD attack, I tried Selsun Blue for a week and it made matters worse. Really dried out my scalp further. Should I give selenium another go ?

fightDHT

Reaction score
Fanjio said:
fightDHT said:

Well he gave me an injection to stop the inflammation. Gave me some oral medicines.Suggested I use a Poly-Tar shampoo and a scalp lotion.

do you happen to know the name of the oral medicines?