Experiencing Terrible Initial Shedding On Big 3

Is high initial shedding a good sign?

• Yes

• Probably not

Results are only viewable after voting.

gman3

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m 18 with pretty good hair but bad genetics so I started to fix that. I started Finasteride and Minoxidil at the same time almost 2 months ago. My shedding from week one is so bad I get sink full and hand fulls of hair just from shaking my head. I feel like the condition and progression of my hair loss is worse now then when I started too. Is this massive shedding a good sign?

Thanks in advance

C3B4F401-741E-46C6-9CE6-DD3EEA31D4C1.jpeg

Last edited:

brownhair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've seen many people saying that the initial shed is a good thing. But I've seen many more cases where people haven't recovered, myself included. Do you have any other symptoms including oily skin, itching or burning on the scalp? Keep an eye out for increased body hair, too. I have read that people just suddenly stop shedding, and start to stabilise. I know my response doesn't really answer your question, but it's said that you don't see results from finasteride until about 8 months.

Good luck

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m 18 with pretty good hair

Are you diagnosed for Androgenetic Alopecia? have you any image of your hair?
You must to know that big 3 is no a preventive method and it can cause hair loss due altering natural hair cycle.
Take care

baba_yaga

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You must to know that big 3 is no a preventive method and it can cause hair loss due altering natural hair cycle.
Take care
Big 3 isnt a preventative method? Care to elaborate more please?

Harv

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Armando Jose i thought when taking anti androgens like finasteride its common for the natural hair cycle to atler, and this is known as the shedding phase.
Does the hair not recover back to normal after a while?
All my natural hair altered its cycle when i started finasteride and i lost alot of hair and it looks strange, however iam shedding much less and having less irritation on my scalp.

gman3

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've seen many people saying that the initial shed is a good thing. But I've seen many more cases where people haven't recovered, myself included. Do you have any other symptoms including oily skin, itching or burning on the scalp? Keep an eye out for increased body hair, too. I have read that people just suddenly stop shedding, and start to stabilise. I know my response doesn't really answer your question, but it's said that you don't see results from finasteride until about 8 months.

Good luck
No I can definitely tell a hormonal and mental difference while taking finasteride but i have not experienced any “hyperandrogen” effects. In fact, my scalp feels better. Soreness has disappeared and it feels less tight. No noticeable increased body hair either, but I am 18 so I feel like that may be natural over the next few years am I right?

gman3

My Regimen
Reaction score
Take care
Ok actually it is a preventative method, and yes I have real male pattern baldness. Receding temples is the most noticeable effect I have along with diffuse thinning. However, the diffuse thinning really took off with the start of finasteride and especially Min. I can say that some of the shedding comes from the sides and tends to mostly come from the areas I cover with Min (my hairline and frontal hair).

baba_yaga

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok actually it is a preventative method, and yes I have real male pattern baldness. Receding temples is the most noticeable effect I have along with diffuse thinning. However, the diffuse thinning really took off with the start of finasteride and especially Min. I can say that some of the shedding comes from the sides and tends to mostly come from the areas I cover with Min (my hairline and frontal hair).
What do you mean by "diffuse thinning really took off"?

itsjustsimon

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You are exactly at the point when shedding is at the worst. Stick to it. I had bad sheds every time I started new treatment and it came back to normal after a couple of months. Finasteride or any 5ar blocker takes much more time than minoxidil in my experience.