Experiences after switching from Merck to Dr Reddy's Propecia?

wackyhead

Reaction score
Exactly two months ago I went to pickup my normal propecia prescription at Costco. I noticed that the price was about $70 cheaper, and thought the price had simply dropped. When I opened the bag at home, I noticed that it was not Merck propecia, and was Dr Reddy's. I was not really shocked as I keep up on this stuff somewhat, and realized the generic must have finally come out.

I was honestly a bit reluctant, being that I have been on propecia for 7 years, and had seen some pretty good results. Thought why switch after all this time, but also realize that generics for this are going to be the norm, and it will be more and more common for pharmacies to fill with generic unless name brand is specified.

Now, to be honest, I had been feeling I was losing some ground in the past year or so in my temple/front area. I just kept taking propecia and figuring keeping with it was better than getting off. I have to accept that over the past 7 years I am going to lose some more hair, as propecia is not a cure, but rather an inhibitor.

After taking the first Dr Reddy's, I did notice that I had a spaced out feeling, just like I had the first day on propecia many years ago. It is a feeling I distinctly remember. I also noticed that for the past month to month and a half I have been having sexual side effects, that has now mostly subsided. I had the same issue/time frame when I went on propecia. In both cases, I just kept "moving forward" and they eventually resolved themselves.

After several weeks, I really started to feel like my hair line was thinning out a bit, but to be honest, I was having the same concern while on propecia recently. Noticing a little thinner "gap" in the front of my hairline when styling it, though it feels like it has only accelerated since getting on generic. Although, it could be that I would be seeing the same results on Propecia at this point.

I keep telling myself that it is all in my head, and I would be where I am regardless of which one i am on. Now, I cannot say that I have noticed my shedding or hair fallout being any worse when shampooing or styling my hair, in fact, seems to almost be less with Dr Reddy's. One thing I do notice is I am seeing a lot of the crappy whispy hairs falling out, which is something I had not seen as much on propecia ( of course could be in me head as well).

So here are my thoughts, either the generic, given the sexual sides and spacey feeling I felt actually has "jump started" the finasteride effectiveness again, and I am actually shedding crap hairs, and may actually see a turn around in the next few months, the generic is crap and I am really losing ground, or it is all in my head.

I have seen a couple of posts about people who have switched, but not much. I would imagine there are a lot of people out there now that have been moved to generic, and likely the vast majority haven't noticed a thing, but of course the ones with issues surely make the loudest noise online.

So, can I get people who have made the switch to chime in and give their experience / thoughts after making the switch.

Kev123

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I switched a long time ago. Merck to Dr Reddy's, it gave me the same results.

volagsrule

Reaction score
I've been taking the Dr. Reddy generic for 6 weeks now, after having been on Propecia since may of 1999. So far just as effective as Propecia and still no sides.

Jyn

Reaction score
I've been taking Dr. Reddy's for the past couple weeks, I haven't noticed any differences so far compared to the original.

wackyhead

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies, I see posts scattered around the web about this, but not a lot of replies. Would like for this to become a pretty large post of people who have made the switch post their experiences. Hopefully to end up easing peoples fears :)

Kev123

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Same results as me,or you saw no difference between using merck and dr reddy's?

Thanks

No difference between Merck and Dr Reddy's. Only difference is the number of digits paid changed from 3 digits for Mercks to two digits for Dr Reddy's.

xtremewidowspeak

Reaction score
just joined this forum because i wanted to share my experiences...

been on propecia + rogaine (liquid, then foam) for 7+ years now. the combo has worked great and ceased my hair loss; i couldn't be happier with the results. then, about 2 months ago, i went to pick up my regular 90 day propecia refill from my pharmacist, and to my surprise, he told me that the generic had finally been approved.

flash forward to today...i've noticed a lot of shedding over the past 2 weeks. it doesn't take much prompting either; if i just run my hand though my hair, i'll see about 15-20 fine hairs in the sink. this never happened when i was on propecia. in addition to the shed, i've been alot more tired and lethargic over the past few weeks. for example, i'll wake up after a solid 8 hours of sleep and feel tired. also, i haven't had as much energy at the gym lately either.

i know finasteride is supposed to be finasteride, regardless of the brand or manufacturer, but i'm convinced that dr. reddy's product is 1) ineffective and 2) causing my fatigue, as nothing has changed in my lifestyle (diet, exercise, etc.) except the switch from propecia to dr. reddy. i'm calling in a propecia refill tomorrow and switching back.

volagsrule

Reaction score
Been on Dr. Reddy brand for over 2 months now. Still no change. At least for me just as effective as Propecia.

I know a lot of people get concerned about the generic not being made in the US, but if you look on your Propecia bottle (Merck) you'll see it says right on the bottle "Finasteride (Active Ingredient)-Made In UK.

This is on all my Propecia bottles which were purchased in the US at CVS.

I also have another bottle that says "Finasteride (Active Ingredient)-Made In Italy".

I don't know when Merck started doing this but all my bottles of Propecia for the last 2 years or so state right on the bottle that the very thing that makes Propecia what it is (finasteride) is now being manufactured by Merck overseas. So if people are concerned of FDA oversight not being as tight as it should be due to Dr. Reddy manufacturing generic Propecia outiside the US, going to Merck produced Propecia wouldn't really solve this concern as they too are now manufacturing their finasteride in foreign countries for sale in the US.

beaner

Reaction score
I've taken Propecia, Proscar, Dr Reddy's 1 mg , Dr Reddy's 5 mg, Cipla 1 mg, Cipla 5mg, and whatever other random generics I've received from my local pharmacy. They are all absolutely the same in my experience.

wackyhead

Reaction score
just joined this forum because i wanted to share my experiences...

been on propecia + rogaine (liquid, then foam) for 7+ years now. the combo has worked great and ceased my hair loss; i couldn't be happier with the results. then, about 2 months ago, i went to pick up my regular 90 day propecia refill from my pharmacist, and to my surprise, he told me that the generic had finally been approved.

flash forward to today...i've noticed a lot of shedding over the past 2 weeks. it doesn't take much prompting either; if i just run my hand though my hair, i'll see about 15-20 fine hairs in the sink. this never happened when i was on propecia. in addition to the shed, i've been alot more tired and lethargic over the past few weeks. for example, i'll wake up after a solid 8 hours of sleep and feel tired. also, i haven't had as much energy at the gym lately either.

i know finasteride is supposed to be finasteride, regardless of the brand or manufacturer, but i'm convinced that dr. reddy's product is 1) ineffective and 2) causing my fatigue, as nothing has changed in my lifestyle (diet, exercise, etc.) except the switch from propecia to dr. reddy. i'm calling in a propecia refill tomorrow and switching back.

I keep trying to believe it is all in my head, but I don't know. I starting taking the Dr Reddys and never thought twice about it, but then maybe about 1.5 months later I started to feel like I was experiencing some odd things, and then remembered i was on the dr reddys. So I don't think it was as if I was looking for an issue. That said, I have always had battles on propecia where I felt like it wasn't working anymore, but was afraid to get off of it for fear that it may have been a lot worse if I wasn't on propecia at all. I have always shedded like crazy for the most part.

Now I am a bit afraid of switching back to merck, being that maybe now my body is adjusting to dr reddys, and I will have the same issue going back.

- - - Updated - - -

To add, my biggest thought has been, maybe there was an issue with the first batch that came into the US. I am about to get my next 90 day refill, but don't know what to do.

sam1557

Reaction score
I switched back to Propecia today after almost 4 months on Dr. Reddys. I'm 100% sure I was shedding more and much thinner on my hairline. Just stick with what is working. If Propecia is working for you and you just were told the generic is the same don't risk it. Hormones are sensitive and suttle changes can make a difference in the order of things. I have read the content of finesteride could be up to 20% lower and still meet generic requirements and the inactive ingreedients that hold the pill together can cause the finesteride to break down at differen't rates.
I was on Propecia for 6 years before getting the generic (not by my choice) and I lost some ground. The price of Propecia should be coming down, but I really don't care I'm never switching to a generic again.

I'm not an expert, but I'm telling you my story. I would not be on a hairloss forum if I hadn't switched to generic. I had it out of sight and out of mind for 6 years and what do you know I switch and here I am...

On a side note, when I took that larger familiar looking Propecia pill this morning I felt soooo much more relaxed. Which honestly the piece of mind from not worrying about it will help a ton in itself.

Hairless Goat

Reaction score
Back on August 12th, 2012, I began taking .5mg (half the dosage) of brand name Propecia. I did so until February 6th of this year, at which point I began taking .5mg of the generic form (Dr. Reddy's so I've learned). Upon seeing the hair restoration surgeon who prescribes me Propecia a little over a week ago, he cautioned me about the generic form of Propecia. Allegedly, a number of doctors in an e-mail group to which he belongs questioned the effectiveness of the generic. One doctor, in particular, had several patients whose hair deteriorated while on the generic.

Now, the guy I see is not one to endorse only brand name drugs for his benefit, as he has encouraged me to take the 5mg finasteride tablet (he believes in the generics for Proscar) and cut it into quarters. He also believes it needn't be taken every day, as it says in the bloodstream for 3 days. I have my qualms about cutting an unscored 5mg pill and getting more finasteride than I need in a given dose. But, this is a matter for another time.

After hearing this, I ran out and filled a prescription for brand name Propecia and restarted it the next day, April 13th. I want you guys to assess a photo taken before beginning Dr. Reddy's and a photo taken shortly after switching back to brand name Propecia, which, in essence, shows the effect of Dr. Reddy's.

To recap:

Brand Name Propecia (.5mg every day) August 12th, 2012 - February 5th, 2013
Dr. Reddy's (.5mg every day) February 6th, 2013 - April 12th, 2013
Brand Name Propecia (.5mg every day) April 13th, 2013 - present

Please disregard the stupid look on my face; it's probably congenital I apologize they are not of the best quality and may lead to an inconclusive verdict but let me know what you think. I'm almost sorry I don't have baseline photos taken under the same lighting.

The first pair was taken on January 27th, 2013, while I nearing the end of my first stint on Brand Name Propecia and closing in on 6 months of treatment.

January 27th, 2013:

http://i.imgur.com/2RkGgjI.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Jtjuto0.jpg

The second pair was taken last week on April 16th, three days after re-beginning brand name Propecia. It's too early to see the progress of Propecia, so the quality of hair is attributed to the two months spent on Dr. Reddy's.

April 16th, 2013:

http://i.imgur.com/WeygiOr.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/aE1GZ8Z.jpg

Is it just me or does my hair look better in the earlier set of pictures? Remember, I was on Dr. Reddy's from the 6-8 month mark, where good progress should be made, so even if you can't definitely see the difference, it could still mean Dr. Reddy's is less effective. Do you guys agree?

As for sides, I haven't experienced any switching back to brand name Propecia. While on Dr. Reddy's and perhaps even Propecia before it, I did experience the unusual lethargy - even after a good night's sleep - on certain days. It wasn't too bothersome and I would always catch a second wind but I have wondered if what experienced from time to time is attributed to the drug. Overall, I felt good on Dr. Reddy's.

The only (nearly) definitive side I have experienced on finasteride is the mild testicular ache. I had it as soon as I began in August and it came back two or three times, but I haven't had it in quite a while (probably months).

Thanks for reading!

Once again, I apologize for the quality of these photos.

wackyhead

Reaction score
I am going back on name brand on the refill I just called in. Just not worth the chance. I also think I have been suffering finasteride related sides that I never experienced after the first 1-2 months on propecia, and seem to be noticing thinner areas where I did not notice them before.

Hairless goat. I don't know for sure based on those pics, but it looks like in the first set you were pushing all your hair to the center and a slight blur on the top shot, whereas in the second set you were parting it a bit, I think that is why it looks different. Did your Doctor say he saw a difference?

Hairless Goat

Reaction score
Yeah, it is hard to tell. With it this short, I don't really style it in any particular way, just let nature take over.

My doctor had a hard time telling. Here's the thing, he snapped some photos of my scalp in January of 2012, which was 7 months before I began treatment. Additionally, my hair was longer then than it is now. He thought the hairline hairs looked stronger, but couldn't tell at the crown.

Who knows, with the year and a half vacillation before beginning Propecia over concern of possible sides, I must have lost some ground. I wish I never encountered these online kooks, it cost me hair and, most likely, women. Although I'm only one largely side effect-free case, the incidence of sides can't be as common as they make it out to be.

volagsrule

Reaction score
Approaching three months on the Generic after over a decade on Propecia. So far everything exactly the same. Hair just as good, if not better, still no sides.

wackyhead

Reaction score
Just wen't back to merck, figure better sticking with what I know.

One thing is some brands work better for others with a lot of medications. For instance I know someone who uses an antidepressant, and there is a name brand and 3 generics. One of the generics is the only one that works well.

Also, I know people say finasteride is finasteride, but finasteride isn't an element, it is being synthesized in a lab. We are assuming all finasteride is created equal, when it may not be.

I have no doubt that for a majority of people finasteride is finasteride, but everyones chemistry is different. For some generic may actually work better than merck.

Wrathofkala

Reaction score
Honestly, I feel a slight difference in one area. My chest. On the DR. Reddy's I don't feel like my chest is puffy. Sexually it's the same feeling in the penis, but the chest feeling is huge to me. It's not in my head. I am 100% sure it feels less puffy for some reason. I may have to look at the ingredients.