Excessive Shedding At 16-start Of male pattern baldness?

Erland

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Your hair is fine, do nothing. Like 99% of men will have a different hairline as they get older, so don't panic.

If you have bad hair care then consider buying a more expensive and reputable green tea/aloe vera shampoo and a decent conditioner but that I would tell anybody, even if they aren't balding.

Henry Samson

Reaction score
Okay, so I’ve figured out a lot about myself. I’m now 17 and have a naturally high forehead, which lead me to believe I was balding. However, now, I am losing so many hairs. Throughout the day, at least 15 hairs stick to the shoulders of my shirt or back. I first really noticed this when I wore a black crew neck sweatshirt that my shed hair really stuck to. This is not something I ever remember having before. On top of this, judging off of most google image results I’ve hit a Norwood 2 hard.
B117103C-03E7-4E91-BF71-15E23E656EB3.jpeg

My temples are uncomfortably thin and I hide them almost everyday under a hair part. I think I’m noticing baby hairs developing throughout my hairline. This has to be balding, right? My temples don’t look excessively different then the photos I took 6 months ago, but there is a noticeable change.

What do I do? I’m 17 now but most prescription drugs aren’t an option and I think my parents will laugh at me for saying I’m balding and only use it as a way to make fun of me. Things in my life were finally starting to make sense, I finally got a great girl, and now I’m just depressed. If I already feel I have to hide my hairline I doubt I’ll even have hair to hide within the next 2 years.

Cue Bald

Experienced Member
Reaction score
lol it always makes me laugh when someone posts a thick full head of hair and points out "i'm losing like 5 hairs in the middle of my head";
are you sure you don't have either BDD, OCD or autism ???

i didn't even fully realize i was balding until I was almost a NW3.
you need to learn about the mature hairline (most guys go from NW1 to NW2 in their late teens). otherwise take a good quality picture, come back in 6 months and compare.

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/you-guys-overreact-way-too-much.51285/

if you shed 100 hairs in 1 day then i'd worry. or when you have a shower, if you notice a lot of hairs clogging the drain.
also what are your family members like? are they BALD ? (uncles, grandfathers etc) if they are BALD do you know when they went BALD? then you may know what your genetics are like

Henry Samson

Reaction score
I just pulled at least 30 hairs off the shoulders of my t shirt. My moms side has one bald grandpa. My dad went mostly bald in his early 40s. His dad isn’t bald however. I have researched Norwood and maturing hairlines as best I can but without seeing a real doctor it’s difficult to determine. I come to this site instead because my parents won’t humor me. Was just asking for advice, sorry for offending you.

cartibih

My Regimen
Reaction score
Bro, I was reading your story about hair loss when you were 15 and I feel like I'm reading the same thing i went through. First of all, have you visited a dermatologist? I literally have the same patterned hair loss. 2 and half years ago I realized that I began to lose hair anywhere on the top of my head when I randomly was able to pull out hair from any part of my head in the shower or when I combed, styled, etc. By any chance, are you noticing hair loss anywhere else such as eyebrows, chest, or legs? And are noticing any unusual things on your scalp whether they are small plugs, scales or tiny flakes? I tried the derm route by explaining to them that I felt like my hair was becoming so weak and thin that it was able to fall out with minimal pull or contact. The 1st derm said telogen effluvium but after a year I saw no progress. Hair was still diffusely thinning and falling out from everywhere on scalp. This diffuse thinning and diffuse hair loss leads me think that I don't have male pattern baldness and might be something else. Especially because the hairs on my body and eyebrows are coming out easily. The quality of my hair growth is also trash and dry. Over time, my hair is growing sooo damn slow. I used to get hair cuts every 6 weeks now I have to wait almost 3-4 fkn months. My sincere advice is to get checked out by a doctor AND derm. Don't listen to these dudes on the forum saying you have a nice hairline. For the moment you very may have a great hairline but that might not be the case because later if there is an underlying problem. You have to rely on yourself and doctors to find it. I know what it feels like for people to say you have nice hair when in reality you know you are losing your hair at a rapid pace while thinning as well. Don't rely on all these bald men wishing they had your hair and forming an opinion based off their situation.

Henry Samson

Reaction score
4D7AAEBD-095D-4419-8428-002274502D77.jpeg
A384285F-83CC-4E62-8195-252FAF997197.jpeg
Well, despite the insistence that I could not possibly be balding that I’ve experienced on these forums, these next pictures look awful and I think show definite hairline recession. I guess I’m now balding at 17.

real kombo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
View attachment 94696 View attachment 94695 Well, despite the insistence that I could not possibly be balding that I’ve experienced on these forums, these next pictures look awful and I think show definite hairline recession. I guess I’m now balding at 17.

I started going bald at 16, immediately jumped on finasteride and minoxidil. Many of these people believe baldness starts at NW3, they are very wrong and are in denial someone can bald so young. It's rare, but it happens and it happened to me. My advice is to jump on minoxidil and finasteride to at the very least prevent further loss. Best of luck my friend.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
View attachment 94696 View attachment 94695 Well, despite the insistence that I could not possibly be balding that I’ve experienced on these forums, these next pictures look awful and I think show definite hairline recession. I guess I’m now balding at 17.
You do have very mild recession. You are like a NW1.5 which is a great place to be. Monitor it until you are 18 and if you feel it is worse then jump on finasteride!

OfficialWater

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You have same hair type and color and hairline as me that’s insane. I think I’m receding too I would monitor it and hold off on any drugs until 18. Try using less effective but less side effect natural androgen blockers like me.

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just saying but there are cases of people with covid-19 having fast onset, high volume hair shedding it's due to the inflammatory nature of the virus, if you have been exposed to it at all, and even if you're generally asymptomatic, there is a possible chance it could cause this.

It's either stress or inflammation I can see a red spot on your scalp which is a telltale sign that something is amiss.