Even Schools Find "shave It" Repulsive

spring15

My Regimen
Reaction score
So I was having a browse on my old high school's website, went through the school rules. Came across this. Now it is a public school, but in a high income area. They don't want their reputation damaged via ugly baldies :Do_O:eek:

upload_2020-8-12_23-5-57.png

karatekid

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry but I would tell the principle at this school to take this rule and shove it in their ***. This is bullshit.
I think it's reasonable to expect the students to not look like total freaks or whatever, and forbid extreme appearances. But stuff like 'hair shouldnt touch the shirt', 'hair should be off the face' or 'only natural color' is stupid.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Acording to my theory is better have a sufficient hair lenght,...., also in certains etnias that dont develope common hair loss usually wear long hair, native americans,or rastafaris are examples.
OTOH, style hair sometimes define the personality of the person or institution in ths case

Stubble

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yep, I'm from the U.K. and they had this rule at my school back in the day. I was one of the few who could grow a proper beard as a teenager, so I would proudly grow it out as much as possible. My headteacher (who wore rings, earrings, nail polish and all kinds of artificial cosmetic stuff) would tell me off for having even 3 days of stubble. She'd literally go looking for me sometimes to check if I'd shaved. I remember she said I wouldn't allowed to be in our leavers photo because I'd had a beard at the time. I'm not a confrontational guy at all, but I always did everything I could to rile her up because she absolutely deserved it - She obviously took a lot of pride in her own experience, yet expected me to conform and have no pride in how I looked. Then when my brother and his mates (who went to this school too) all got matching buzzcuts for a laugh, she gave off to them for that too.

Funny how shaved heads and beards are both looked upon so negatively by society.

Last edited:

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't find this strange at all and it's pretty normal in the Anglosphere. I went to a selective school and everyone had to wear the uniform in a certain way and style their hair. It's actually good because in some ways it's part of discipline and uniformity of all members. You have to remember some of these schools have a history going back to the 19th century and they want to create a feeling of oneness like you may see in the military. I'm sure now with time, their standards have changed a little but the idea of avoiding extravagant hair styles and being clean will still be there. Since beards are in fashion perhaps 16-18 year olds will be allowed to have them but it must be kept very tidy. I wouldn't send my kid to a school with low educational standards obviously but also where kids may have tattoos, piercings and funky hairstyles or where you can stick on pink dye. It's one step away from other distractions like drugs, alcohol, bunking off school, generally not giving a ****. IMO you have your whole life to do that and be an adult and make your own choices, school should be serious with organised fun to help guide your growing mind.

Also Johnson is the only one who has stated the obvious - of course they will overlook the rare poor boy suffering from alopecia and the thread title is more a reflection of personal insecurities.

spring15

My Regimen
Reaction score
The title was just a bit of tongue in cheek, all those rules were around when I was in high school, except the one where you can't have a shaved head. Perhaps due to it's correlation to a certain group on the right

Exodus2011

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't find this strange at all and it's pretty normal in the Anglosphere. I went to a selective school and everyone had to wear the uniform in a certain way and style their hair. It's actually good because in some ways it's part of discipline and uniformity of all members. You have to remember some of these schools have a history going back to the 19th century and they want to create a feeling of oneness like you may see in the military. I'm sure now with time, their standards have changed a little but the idea of avoiding extravagant hair styles and being clean will still be there. Since beards are in fashion perhaps 16-18 year olds will be allowed to have them but it must be kept very tidy. I wouldn't send my kid to a school with low educational standards obviously but also where kids may have tattoos, piercings and funky hairstyles or where you can stick on pink dye. It's one step away from other distractions like drugs, alcohol, bunking off school, generally not giving a ****. IMO you have your whole life to do that and be an adult and make your own choices, school should be serious with organised fun to help guide your growing mind.

Also Johnson is the only one who has stated the obvious - of course they will overlook the rare poor boy suffering from alopecia and the thread title is more a reflection of personal insecurities.
You cant do that sh*t as an adult because jobs. What other time to experiment besides when you're young?
.dont see how its good either to be an ant. None of the public schools i went to in america had these wannabe military standards. Besides extreme cases like a big pink mohawk or whatever

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
You cant do that sh*t as an adult because jobs. What other time to experiment besides when you're young?
.dont see how its good either to be an ant. None of the public schools i went to in america had these wannabe military standards. Besides extreme cases like a big pink mohawk or whatever

I did say organised fun. What I mean by that is you work hard and play hard. Some of the most difficult courses at top uni institutes (18 +) have some hardcore party animals who will try anything. That said, I think balance and moderation is important in life. And even in these elite schools (11-16), it's not all about working hard but also playing sport well and for sure they delve into experimenting with other stuff, seen it myself. It's just from a young age you're taught the value of everything at the right time, it will more likely set you up for a better life at an earlier age which also means less reliance and drain on parents too. This of course also depends on your genetic personality and intelligence and also the type of role models your parents are. I never caused any chaos for my rents growing up beyond some basic stupid stuff that all kids do. I remember when I achieved what I needed to at 18 and soon after I was given a good car, it's a two way thing in the sense I was making them proud. I'd want my kid to be set up at 23 for life.

If you become a parent you will not be saying or feeling that I want my kids to experiment and be crazy at some ordinary school. That can quickly backfire. You could end up with an unruly kid because you granted too much freedom without showing the important aspects of life. The kid could end up on drugs, doesn't go on to further education, gets into fights, I've even seen studies linking gender dysphoria due to a tough upbringing or other environmental factors.

There's no guarantee of anything in life to cut it short but surely we must try. You once mentioned having it hard at home and it took you a while to get out of that cycle, imagine you had different parents and were born in an affluent area, do you think you would be exactly the same person you are today? Of course not. It's a sad reality that we're all shaped by our childhood and environment to a certain extent.

carlos guachiturro

Reaction score
shaved my head at 16-17 down to a number one on the razor, looked great, baldness no longer visible. Was told if i did it again I would be suspended

Diffused_confidence

My Regimen
Reaction score
When my last year high school they didnt allow hair after certain lenght for men. Buzzcut were allowed... tbh now that i think about it there were hella rules and i didnt trully think they were wrong or anything lol...

My school hardly had rules. It was a tiny school of 50 kids. Also senior year we went to a university and took classes there.

No one had male pattern baldness though.

Diffused_confidence

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow i wish i had school like that i bet u had time to create bonds with people
Actually it was horrible. This is a magnet school that takes some of the best students in the region. Everyone comes in with a massive ego and everyone argues and has to be right and has to prove you are wrong. Some people argue just to argue.

Very toxic. There were no bonds and I don't talk to anyone from there. Once we got to taking university classes we just went to class then went home.

Everyone does wind up successful though. Some guys went on to MIT, Ivy league, etc. I went to just the state university because I didn't want to spend serious money for college. Now I have a great job and no student loans and any excess is spent on investments.

I think the best schooling is the model Elon musk had. You go to school and do what you want to do. Honestly, if I was in a high school like that I would have focused only on math and science and learning a difficult language. Toss out English, history, and all that be.

I wont lose this

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Gladly I went to a public school where they had no rules regarding to the dress code, other than a shirt that was the only uniform they had

doubleindemnity

Reaction score
Ne-Yo went bald in high school and the teachers let him wear hats. If he owned it by going hatless he would get badly bullied. So much for "shave it and own it." People treat me better when I'm wearing my hat too.