ejaculation theory to the test

science-jay

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok here's my personal story

I'm 32
started to see hairloss at age 21
started treatment at age 24 (Norwood 1,5 - 2)

started with Nizoral shampoo (use the stuff now for 8 years)
added minoxidil (now used for 6 years)
added topical spironolactone-cream (now used for 4 years)
added Propecia (now used for 3 years, but will stop soon)
added Folligen (now used for 3 years)

other internals: l-cystine, saw palmetto, green tea, l-arginine, nettle, fish oil, black current oil etc (for over 2 years)

during this time degradation of hair to Norwood 3
I guess i'm a bad responder to propecia, my brother is 3 years older and has less hairloss than me (without using any treatments)

After reading a lot of scientific articles,
i've come to my last resort...the disputed and often scam-artist realted 'hairloss-ejaculation theory'

I stopped ejaculation since 4 weeks (damn i'm horny :)
I still practice sex with my Girlfriend but learned to halt ejaculation.
i love sex, and i'm not willing to give it up for hairloss for sure! But my curious mind and discipline is even stronger and i'm willing to test this theory for 5 months. If there's a relation, wich i believe there is (I already have absolute no ichiness anymore on the scalp and see less hairs in the shower) i try to find a balance between ejacultion and hairloss.

Read the articles below if your seriously interested in the subject,
i was very sketical at first and believed it was total BS, but after some reading i DO see some correlations
ejaculation increases prolactine and DHT levels secreted by the pituitary gland, wich is bad for you hair...

: Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2001 Apr;26(3):287-94. Links Coitus-induced orgasm stimulates prolactin secretion in healthy subjects.Exton MS, Kruger TH, Koch M, Paulson E, Knapp W, Hartmann U, Schedlowski M. Institute of Medical Psychology, University of Essen, Hufelandstrasse 55, 45122, Essen, Germany. michael.exton@uni-essen.de

Previous data have indicated that orgasm produces marked alterations in plasma prolactin concentrations in men and women. Thus, the current study aimed to extend these data by examining prolactin response to coitus in healthy males and females. Ten pairs of healthy heterosexual couples participated in the study. Blood was drawn continuously for 20 min before, during, and until 60 min following sexual intercourse and orgasm. Plasma was subsequently analysed for prolactin concentrations. Coitus-induced orgasm produced a marked elevation of plasma prolactin in both males and females. Plasma prolactin concentrations remained elevated 1 h following orgasm. These data, together with previous evidence that masturbation-induced orgasm produces pronounced, long-lasting increases in plasma prolactin concentrations in both males and females, suggest a role for acute prolactin alterations in modifying human sexual desire following orgasm.

1: Am J Pathol. 2006 Mar;168(3):748-56. Links Human scalp hair follicles are both a target and a source of prolactin, which serves as an autocrine and/or paracrine promoter of apoptosis-driven hair follicle regression.Foitzik K, Krause K, Conrad F, Nakamura M, Funk W, Paus R. Department of Dermatology, University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf, University of Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany. kfoitzik@yahoo.com

The prototypic pituitary hormone prolactin (PRL) exerts a wide variety of bioregulatory effects in mammals and is also found in extrapituitary sites, including murine skin. Here, we show by reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction and immunohistology that, contrary to a previous report, human skin and normal human scalp hair follicles (HFs), in particular, express both PRL and PRL receptors (PRL-R) at the mRNA and protein level. PRL and PRL-R immunoreactivity can be detected in the epithelium of human anagen VI HFs, while the HF mesenchyme is negative. During the HF transformation from growth (anagen) to apoptosis-driven regression (catagen), PRL and PRL-R immunoreactivity appear up-regulated. Treatment of organ-cultured human scalp HFs with high-dose PRL (400 ng/ml) results in a significant inhibition of hair shaft elongation and premature catagen development, along with reduced proliferation and increased apoptosis of hair bulb keratinocytes (Ki-67/terminal dUTP nick-end labeling immunohistomorphometry). This shows that PRL receptors, expressed in HFs, are functional and that human skin and human scalp HFs are both direct targets and sources of PRL. Our data suggest that PRL acts as an autocrine hair growth modulator with catagen-promoting functions and that the hair growth-inhibitory effects of PRL demonstrated here may underlie the as yet ill-understood hair loss in patients with hyper-prolactinemia.

Hum Reprod Update. 2006 Jul-Aug;12(4):437-48.
Oxytocin--its role in male reproduction and new potential therapeutic uses.
Clinical Science at South Bristol (Obstetrics & Gynaecology), Henry Wellcome Laboratories for Integrated Neuroscience and Endocrinology, University of Bristol, Whitson Street, Bristol, UK.

Oxytocin (OT) is traditionally thought of as a "female" neurohypophysis hormone due to its role in parturition and milk ejection. However, OT is recognized as having endocrine and paracrine roles in male reproduction. At ejaculation, a burst of OT is released from the neurohypophysis into the systemic circulation and stimulates contractions of the reproductive tract aiding sperm release. There is conclusive evidence that OT is synthesized within the mammalian testis, epididymis and prostate and the presence of OT receptors (OTRs) through the reproductive tract supports a local action for this peptide. OT has a paracrine role in stimulating contractility of the seminiferous tubules, epididymis and the prostate gland. Interestingly, OT has also been shown to modulate androgen levels in these tissues via stimulation of the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestostone (DHT) by 5alpha-reductase.
The elucidation of OT's role in male reproduction has suggested a number of potential therapeutic uses for this hormone. Exogenous administration of OT has, in some cases, been shown to increase the numbers of ejaculated sperm, possibly by stimulating contractions of the reproductive tract and thus aiding sperm passage. Within the prostate, OT has been shown to affect gland growth both directly and via its interaction with androgen metabolism. Prostate pathologies due to unregulated cell proliferation/growth, such as benign prostatic hyperplasia and cancer, are unfortunately very common and few effective treatments are available. Greater understanding of paracrine growth mediators, such as OT, is likely to provide new mechanisms for treating such

bobs

Established Member
Reaction score
This is a problem; I wonder what some people loose first, the haid or the hair.

Worst thing a man/woman can be reduced too is paranoid and afraid.
"Should I eat this? Will this cause hairloss? Should I f***? Will that cause hairloss? Should I excercise, will that cause hairloss?". All this will stress you out and reduce your quality of life.

I mean, go ahead, don't come for five months. It wont prove a damned thing. DHT is ONE factor causing hairloss, probably the big thief too but something this bad can't be caused by one criminal. Having Sex I assume raises SHBG that binds free T and only free T can convert to DHT.

ADL

Reaction score
Science-Jay I have read at several sites that Oxytocin raises 5 times the normal level JUST BEFORE the point of no return.
Having sex with multiple nonejaculatory orgasms (stopping just before the point of semen release) would in that case overload your body with Oxytocin.

To be honest, I have put your theory to the test before. That was before I ever heard of Oxytocin. I know it feels great, but I think it affected my hair the wrong way.

I'm currently testing another strategy, that is related to this subject. :punk:

youngbaldie

Established Member
Reaction score
I believe that there may be some validity to the claim that excessive ejaculation may result in a host of physical problems, particularly the ones concerning the scalp. Too much of anything, including masturbation in excess probably can't be good for you.

In the modern age of p**rn where young men (those in their teens or early 20s) indulge perhaps a little too much, there may be some negative effects on the body and the mind. Forget the scalp, I wonder how serotonin levels are affected?

Don't get me wrong, I am not against masturbation or p**rn, I just think moderation is the key.

There is so little that is known about the human body, there may indeed be some validity to these claims. If people notice that their scalp is incredibly itchy or inflamed, particularly after excessive sexual activity, who knows, maybe there is a connection? I don't think it should be automatically dismissed. Doctors may not be able to explain this kind of scalp inflammation, they may scoff at the very idea of a connection, but doctors don't know everything believe it or not. If they did, we would know why some of our scalps feel like they are on fire 24 hours a day.

Anyway, the chemical/biological process of orgasm and the after effects are poorly understood even in this modern age of science. Anything is possible.

bobs

Established Member
Reaction score
Problem with "theories" like these are that they will confuse many and cause paranoia. Since no one really knows the exact workings of male pattern baldness in detail theories can pop up in every corner and who can be there to say this or that? I think many young guys come in here to look for clean cut advice and if they are met with threads like this they might freak out and loose it.

Even if we don't know the exact workings of male pattern baldness we do know a lot, lets stick to that and let the scientists keep away from sex (which they probably do without choice).

And if you really want to discuss this, do it in the experimental forum where all the other nut-theories are discussed and where the naturals chill.

youngbaldie

Established Member
Reaction score
bobs said:
Problem with "theories" like these are that they will confuse many and cause paranoia. Since no one really knows the exact workings of male pattern baldness in detail theories can pop up in every corner and who can be there to say this or that? I think many young guys come in here to look for clean cut advice and if they are met with threads like this they might freak out and loose it.

Even if we don't know the exact workings of male pattern baldness we do know a lot, lets stick to that and let the scientists keep away from sex (which they probably do without choice).

And if you really want to discuss this, do it in the experimental forum where all the other nut-theories are discussed and where the naturals chill.

I thought the excessive ejaculation theory was all bs too until I talked to my derm. I sheepishly ran it by him, he listened, and his response actually surprised me. He sat back and explained the workings of male pattern baldness and how sebum does infact play some role in the balding process. He also explained that some research shows that excessive ejaculation (like 5-10 times a day) could lead to scalp disorders like the ones that many of us have on here.

Honestly, a lot of his talk was technical, so I don't remember it, this took place about 5 years ago. But I distinctly remember him saying that you would be surprised that too much masterbation could lead to hair loss and other skin disorders like bad acne or itchy scalp. Maybe he is wrong, I don't know, but thats what he told me.

There certainly is no proof as of yet to back any of this up, so you are right, we shouldn't tell new people on here that whackin off (all day) leads to baldness, but I don't think we should necessarily outright dismiss it either. Some of the studies concerning prolactin for instance are very interesting and it may lead to helping us understand the balding process better in the future.

As long as nobody is trying to sell something to correct any problems (actionlove/herbal love scams), it doesn't really bother me.

Also, when you're on treatments like finasteride or dutasteride, it won't matter if you whack off 10 times a day. Its not so much about finding how to retard the male pattern baldness process, thats what we have these drugs for. Its more about speculating what may trigger a young sufferer's condition, that is, one who was already genetically susceptible to it, or perhaps could it possibly make it worse?

None of this really matters in the long run though. There are many reasons for balding, many priests and other religious figures are slick bald, and I have faith that a good number of these abstain from masturbation, or at least make a good effort at abstaining. And of course, some p**rn stars have thick, full heads of hair.

It just seems like there is some sort of correlation for some of us though, especially when the itch worsens on days where the hormones feel higher. Maybe it is all psychosomatic though, there isn't any definative answer yet, nor will there be in the near future.

abcdefg

Reaction score
How does your theory explain why that itch happens? im curious on that the 2 derms i visited had sh*t for brains.

docj077

Reaction score
Such studies require double blinded and controlled conditions and not the rantings of biased individual participants. Sorry, but self-diagnosis and purely subjective reasoning prove nothing.

IBM

Reaction score
I experienced myself that too much ejaculation will increase the itch but too much time without ejeculation will make your hair brightless. As someone said moderation is the key.

HairMe

Reaction score
dude...there has been a lot of these kind of threads. abt ejaculation and hair loss.

No point discussing it again

ADL

Reaction score
dude...if everything that has been discussed, shouldn't be discussed again, this forum would have maybe 5 posts a year.

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Ive already tried this....After about 3-4 weeks i ended up ejaculating in my my sleep. Its immpossible to stop voluntary or not. You will end up just having a wet dream, then your back at square one. Your body needs to ejaculate. Its a healthy process, but i also think it could contribute to the speeding up hairloss of people with the male pattern baldness gene. But its not significant. Certainly not enough to cease having sex or jerking off :jackit:

s.a.f

Reaction score
All these things are pointless. Jacking off, smoking, working out, eating meat, shampooing ... the list goes on and on. :thumbdown2:
Its not going to change anything. If you have the m.p.b genes stopping any of these :roll: things is not going to let you keep your hair.

metalheaddude

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
All these things are pointless. Jacking off, smoking, working out, eating meat, shampooing ... the list goes on and on. :thumbdown2:
Its not going to change anything. If you have the m.p.b genes stopping any of these :roll: things is not going to let you keep your hair.

Don't forget the insulition spike! No but seriously, do you honestly think some of it might help? Even if its just a little?
In essence I agree with you. Nothing you do helps that much, it might mean the difference between 10 hairs obeying all these other unproven hairloss laws.

s.a.f

Reaction score
And it would be worth living like a monk to save 10 hairs? :smack:

metalheaddude

Reaction score
lol! A monk, what a classic. Yes I plan to meditate 24 hours a day 365 days a year in a shaolin temple just to grow an extra 10 hairs.

ps: Im the white guy at the back......jk

slg.jpg

hairsucks

Established Member
Reaction score
How do you know if your over masterbating ?

Regular masturbation is good for prostate cancer prevention. It's fun too.

G

hairsucks said:
How do you know if your over masterbating ?

Regular masturbation is good for prostate cancer prevention. It's fun too.

"If your masturbation interferes with other aspects of your life whether it is your social life, your schoolwork, work, or your love life. If you have put masturbating over your calculus homework, you might be masturbating too much. If you have to find an excuse to go to the restroom during work to masturbate, then you are probably masturbating too much. If you turn down an invitation to go out with friends in order to masturbate, you are probably masturbating too much. Finally, if others complain about your masturbating too much, in particular a significant other, then you likely masturbate too much. Masturbation should not interfere with your life. As long as it is not doing so, than you are going to be fine. So go ahead and whack away."