EGCG (topical) stimulates hair growth study.

CCS

Reaction score
Boondock said:
^ Second that, it'd be good to hear if anyone's actually had results from green tea before any of us go about making a topical.

Costs next to nothing, and reported by many sources to be healthy. Might be good for anti-aging if you get some on your face. It is a brown color, which should blend in with your hair. And green tea smells good. All natural. It dissolves in water, not like minoxidil. And it is super cheap to make the stuff. Like $2 a month tops.

Why the hell would you not make your own before waiting for results from others? Lots of studies show it supresses androgens, and now this one shows it stimulates scalp hair.

Finish line

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been drinking five cups of strong green tea for the past two months, as well as a several cups of an anti-allergy tea at night (nettles, hawthorne, about 17 different ingredients), as well as rooibos as of recently.

My day tea has been gunpwder green tea leaves, pressed in a coffee press, not from tea bags, but actual tea leaves in a press. It's really the only way to do it. Tea in bags are the 'shavings and scraps' left over after the high quality leaves have been packaged for people like myself to enjoy.

I certainly feel amazing since I've started doing this.

On topic: I'd stopped finasteride about seven months ago, and minoxidil around roughly the same time.

I'm not suggesting that green tea is some miracle, but I've been drinking a lot of the stuff, However, and since starting on green tea, I've not felt the urge to buy any more of the stuff (finasteride/minoxidil). I figure my hairloss would hav e suddenly acceralted by now, but it really hasn't. I guess I'm waiting it out. But so far my hair has not changed a whole lot.

Billions of Chinese can't be wrong, I guess. Three cheers for green tea!

I really think the difference between westerners and easterners is GREEN TEA, of which they drink copious amounts. We drink Mountain Dew and Shlitz beer and Red Bull.

Now if anyone can prove this needling/green tea thing, I would definitely give it a shot.

G

Finish line said:
I've been drinking five cups of strong green tea for the past two months, as well as a several cups of an anti-allergy tea at night (nettles, hawthorne, about 17 different ingredients), as well as rooibos as of recently.

My day tea has been gunpwder green tea leaves, pressed in a coffee press, not from tea bags, but actual tea leaves in a press. It's really the only way to do it. Tea in bags are the 'shavings and scraps' left over after the high quality leaves have been packaged for people like myself to enjoy.

I certainly feel amazing since I've started doing this.

On topic: I'd stopped finasteride about seven months ago, and minoxidil around roughly the same time.

I'm not suggesting that green tea is some miracle, but I've been drinking a lot of the stuff, However, and since starting on green tea, I've not felt the urge to buy any more of the stuff (finasteride/minoxidil). I figure my hairloss would hav e suddenly acceralted by now, but it really hasn't. I guess I'm waiting it out. But so far my hair has not changed a whole lot.

Billions of Chinese can't be wrong, I guess. Three cheers for green tea!

I really think the difference between westerners and easterners is GREEN TEA, of which they drink copious amounts. We drink Mountain Dew and Shlitz beer and Red Bull.

Now if anyone can prove this needling/green tea thing, I would definitely give it a shot.

People in England drink loads of tea, yet hair loss is very common. Either the differences between green and black tea are that great, that it causes Easterners to suffer less hair loss, or it's the fact that milk cancels out any benefits tea has (regardless of colour). Then there is white tea, it's suppose to be even better for your body than green, yet I never hear it get mentioned much.

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Finishline, or anyone else on a green tea regimen,
ever noticed any side effects particularly sexual ?

I don't understand; I am someone who has too much Testosterone ( on the upper level) and hairy like hell... yet whenever I take anything with anti-androgen qualities it has a direct effect on my libido... can't figure this out.

That is why I guess propecia should be extremely bad for me, since Saw palmetto itself was very bad..

Finish line

Established Member
Reaction score
People in England drink mostly black teas, and yes, there is quite a difference between black and green teas, in how they are produced and how they are prepared, the the certain chemicals they are known for.

It's green tea that has the high concentrations of EGCG. Not... Earl Grey.

I also think that Asians drink way way way more tea during the day. English people have, like, tea time, and they sit around and sip it.

But from what I've read Asians who are on Western diets have as much hairloss as westerners, so I have to think that specifically high consumption of green tea is one of the many differences there.

... I haven't noticed anything sexual but I have noticed a tremendous increase in just my well being. A - I'm taking in way more water than I was before, B - it's green tea or my caffeine free allergy tea as I had described, and the chemicals in these teas have had tremendous physical benefits. I don't know all what's happening, just wiki "health benefits of green tea" and I'm pretty much getting off on the entire list.

It feels amazing. And because of that, it bleeds into other aspects: I eat better, I eat less. Of course, I'm drinking a lot of it. Probably lost 15 pounds so far on just green tea alone.

yes, it's terrific stuff. Will it save my hair? Who knows. Not the reason I'm drinking it, just saw this thread and thought I'd contribute.

G

Finish line said:
People in England drink mostly black teas, and yes, there is quite a difference between black and green teas, in how they are produced and how they are prepared, the the certain chemicals they are known for.

It's green tea that has the high concentrations of EGCG. Not... Earl Grey.

I also think that Asians drink way way way more tea during the day. English people have, like, tea time, and they sit around and sip it.

I can tell you Earl Grey is not the tea typical English drink, we are more common than that lol. The English people I know drink between 4 and 6 cups of black tea a day. The term "tea time" has nothing to do with tea, it's a name used for eating a meal in the late afternoon.

I still think my milk statement holds some truth, that milk may cancel out some of the benefits of tea.

JLL

Established Member
Reaction score
I've read several studies on using milk with tea, but I'm still not sure what the truth is.

First off, it seems that drinking a few cups of green tea will raise plasma antioxidant levels significantly.

After drinking one cup of green tea, the increase in the total antioxidant capacity of plasma was not statistically significant. However, one hour after drinking two cups of green tea the increase was 7%, and after two hours the increase was 6.2%. After 3 cups and one hour, the increase was 12%, and one hour later rose to 12.7%.

Second, even though some in vitro studies have shown that the catechins in tea are destroyed by the addition of milk, drinking milk tea (green or black) still appears to raise plasma antioxidant levels.

3 cups of green tea or black tea increases plasma antioxidant concentrations in healthy humans by up to 2-3%. When pasteurised full-fat milk is added, the effect is slightly diminished but still noticeable.

And yet, we know that it's the catechins that are mostly responsible for the health benefits in green tea (and possibly theaflavins in black tea). So how can they be destroyed and still appear to raise plasma antioxidant activity? At this point all I can say is: beats me.

The two main differences between Asian and English people in regards to tea is that the latter drink black tea, sometimes with milk, and the former drink green tea without milk. Is this important for hair loss? Maybe, but not necessarily. As has been pointed out, diet maybe more important than tea consumption. Genes are certainly important as well, but even Asian people are developing Western diseases and problems as their diets have been westernized.

That said, both green tea and black tea have many health benefits, so even if they do nothing for hair growth, there's still several reasons to drink them.

Finish line

Established Member
Reaction score
Again, green tea has high levels of EGCG, not black tea. Black tea is good for you (please read on how to brew these teas or you'll get nothing out of them, it takes a certain water temperature, black tea needs to be super super hot, green tea a bit cooler). So if you're reading this thread and thinking about it, it's green tea that you are after.

You're pretty much wasting your time with black teas as far as the topic is concerned.

GlasgowCelt

Reaction score
I second the statement regarding Green Tea. I drink around 8-10 cups a day but only if the water is right. If the tea turns brown I don't drink it.

I have also tried applying it topically. I skin needle first and apply it after awards; the tea is lukewarm but still stings when applied. I don't take finasteride or minoxidil either and not sure what norwood I am, maybe a 1 or 1.5. I do have seborriec dermatitis which I use Bluesun for, but I think I need to start regularly applying Green Tea topically again.

I would advice everyone to tryu this:

1. Skin needle your hairline (somewhere really bald) until the scalp is red.
2. Now this will sting... Apply lukewarm green tea to the scalp using a dropper (eye-dropper type thing)
3. Probably best doing this every other day
4. Try for 4-6 weeks and see how you get on

GlasgowCelt

Reaction score
Hard to say,

I've always have had really thick jet black hair since I was a baby people regularly compliment me on.

Last image shows my baldspot that is due to the Cradle Cap fungal infection. I still do have seborriec dermatitis and had Tinea Capitis (Cradle Cap - last image) when I was a baby. Luckily I can grow the hair long and it covers it but I can never get it cut short without it showing, which is sad, but it doesn't bother me I've lived with it all my life.

I use the drops for the green tea after a good skin needle. Makes my head feel so good and the itching scratching goes away.

I do have ONE question thought. Last year on my bald spot (last pic) I used rogaine for 4 weeks and the area was completely covered in hair. Meaning that hair still had the capability to grow there; my question is what else can I try that is natural and we can assess results?

Here are my pics, really sorry for bad quality damn phone is crap!

20090622005.jpg

20090622007.jpg

20090622010.jpg

20090622011.jpg

20090622012.jpg

20090622014.jpg

20090622015.jpg

20090622019.jpg

Any suggestions are very welcome.

Thx
GC

CCS

Reaction score
goten574 said:
I still think my milk statement holds some truth, that milk may cancel out some of the benefits of tea.

The milk statement is correct. The caesin protein in milk binds with polyphenols and renders them inactive. I don't know how soon after drinking milk I can eat blue berries and not have a problem.

CCS

Reaction score
JLL said:
The two main differences between Asian and English people in regards to tea is that the latter drink black tea, sometimes with milk, and the former drink green tea without milk.

Add lemon juice to the green tea. Or at least orange juice. The acid helps you absorb more.

CCS

Reaction score
GlasgowCelt said:
If the tea turns brown I don't drink it.

Every bag of green tea I've bought has always made brown tea. When I go to a sushi place, the tea is green. Where do you buy the GREEN tea that is not brown?

I think as soon as the leaves dry up, they turn brown. Might just be chloriphil.
I bought green tea extract capsules and they are brown too.

the Last Fight

Established Member
Reaction score
When the tea is brown it usually indicates that the quality of the tea is not good or its old and stale. Green Tea should be green.

JLL

Established Member
Reaction score
CCS said:
JLL said:
The two main differences between Asian and English people in regards to tea is that the latter drink black tea, sometimes with milk, and the former drink green tea without milk.

Add lemon juice to the green tea. Or at least orange juice. The acid helps you absorb more.

Are you referring to the study that was based on a computer model? According to another study, ascorbic acid prevents green tea catechins from degradation but citric acid doesn't. So it's not the acidity itself, it's the type of acid.

patagonia

Established Member
Reaction score
you can buy unprocesed tea leaves at chinese/asian shops and other health foods type of shops all over the place... just add boiled water to a pot and a handfull of leaves.. the tea should be clear green this way.

oyo

Established Member
Reaction score
CCS said:
GlasgowCelt said:
If the tea turns brown I don't drink it.

Every bag of green tea I've bought has always made brown tea. When I go to a sushi place, the tea is green. Where do you buy the GREEN tea that is not brown?

I think as soon as the leaves dry up, they turn brown. Might just be chloriphil.
I bought green tea extract capsules and they are brown too.

black tea is affected by the pH of your water. red to dark brown or so. sort of similar to cocoa. lots of flavonoids do this.

i think brown green tea is just from buying junk though. get good loose leaf from an asian food store or tea shop.

oyo

Established Member
Reaction score
CCS said:
goten574 said:

The milk statement is correct. The caesin protein in milk binds with polyphenols and renders them inactive. I don't know how soon after drinking milk I can eat blue berries and not have a problem.

well part of what it binds to is stuff like oxalates that you don't want.