EGCG (topical) stimulates hair growth study.

patagonia

Established Member
Reaction score
I use Teavigo. The others look OK as well. The important part is to actually use it consistently.

my 2c:

-open 3-5 caps in ethanol and mix. leave in a closed container inside the fridge for a couple days.

-strain fillers with a cloth/gauze

-mix with distilled water. I do 60% ethanol-40% water. leave in closed bottle/container. 100ml bottle.

- I use a dropper or spray and keep it in the fridge.

patagonia

Established Member
Reaction score
Been using it for about 2 yrs on and off.

I add few drops of different essential oils to my egcg mix (rosemary, thyme, lavender) they are not greasy and have many benefits.

Keeping the mix in a dark color bottle inside the fridge is important IMO.

I believe this ingredients are helpful based on the info available (anti-androgenic, anti-inflammatory, stimulant, antioxidant). They are not the silver bullet so keep expectations in check.

Adding this "experimentals' to a regimen based around the big 3 is a good option.

KeepTheHair

Established Member
Reaction score
:dunno:

InfamousOne

My Regimen
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but I was researching this and found this thread in this forum. Has any current user ever tried this? I was thinking of trying it myself and would like to know if anyone has tried this before.

I believe there's a study claiming that EGCG regulates PGD2? (or something of that nature) which is found to be elevated in balding scalp. In theory, it -might- work.

Also, http://www.amazing-green-tea.com/green-tea-and-hair.html mentions a study:

Compared to control cultures, cultures treated with EGCG showed increased hair follicle elongation, increased hair growth, and stronger proliferation of dermal papilla cells.

The researchers also found specific chemical changes that promoted hair growth in the samples treated with EGCG.

What about the people that were treated with ECGC? This is how green tea alcohol tincture was applied to human volunteers:

Ten percent EGCG in ethanol or ethanol vehicle were applied daily to two regions of the occipital scalp of three normal human volunteer for 4 successive days, and then treated areas about 1 x 1.5 cm were excised.

Tissue samples containing hair follicles were cautiously dissected into single hair follicles. Dermal papillae were selectively separated under a stereomicroscope and isolated into single cells for Western blot analysis.

According to the researchers, “it was confirmed that the events initially observed in vitro actually occurred in vivo.” So, the same chemical changes occurred in human scalps treated using 10% ECGC dissolved in ethanol. They concluded below:

In summary, our data suggest that EGCG stimulates human hair growth via its proliferative and antiapoptotic effects on DPCs, and may prolong anagen stage.

The effects of EGCG on different hair follicle cell types and the molecular basis for its promotion of hair growth remain unclear and require further investigation.

HairCook

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
More isnt better. There is another study showing it increases Shh, which makes it even so more interesting. However too much actually reduced Shh. So you want to hit a certain dosage range that isnt established in human skin.

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have been doing that a long time for hair and for acne. My understanding was that it does act on the reductase. A year ago I did it almost every night with a green tea from japan.I think drinking large quantities of it also does have that effect. Some argued in the past that this could be the japanese secret.

I agree with @patagonia keep expectations in check.

One thing to keep in mind, if that people have been smearing all kinds of stuff on their scalp for the last 5000 years at least, if not longer. So I doubt they missed the tea bit.