Effects of Creatine

G

Interesting!

CREATINE PLUS WEIGHT TRAINING PRODUCES DESIRABLE BENEFITS

Arciero, P. J., Hannibal III, N., Hamed, J., & Gentile, C. (1999). Effect of creatine on resting metabolic rate, body composition, strength, and blood cholesterol. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 31(5), Supplement abstract 1279.

<http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/dept/coachsci/csa/vol81/dividred.gif>

The effects of 28 days of creatine supplementation alone (20 g/day for first five days, 10 g/day for the rest) and with weight training on resting metabolic rate (RMR), body composition, muscular strength, and blood cholesterol, were measured in untrained males. Ss (N = 30) were divided into three groups: creatine alone, creatine plus weight training, and placebo plus weight training. No differences existed on any variables before supplementation and training began.

It was found that creatine supplementation added to weight training significantly improved cholesterol levels, muscular strength (1-RM), and free-fatty mass when compared to weight training alone. The creatine group was the only one to record a favorable increase in RMR.

Implication. Creatine supplementation and weight training produces strength and health benefits over those displayed for weight training alone.

G

Creatine and fitness related.

TWO REPETITIONS AS EFFECTIVE AS EIGHT IN STRENGTH TRAINING Conway, P. T., Edwards, S. W., Ransone, J., &Edgley, B. M. (2001). Effect of two near maximum lifts compared to eight lifts in relation to strength development. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 33(5), Supplement abstract 1827. Performing three sets of two repetitions of 90% 1-RM was compared to three sets of eight repetitions at 65%, 70%, and 75% 1-RM respectively. Ss (N = 18) were experienced resistance trained males. Ss completed a four-week pre-conditioning program, and were then split into one of the training groups. Training was twice a week for eight weeks. Ss were measured on four occasions. There was no difference between groups, or experienced and lesser-experienced Ss, in strength gains. Body composition was similar between groups. The two-repetition program required only one-third of the time needed for the eight-repetition program. Implication. Two-repetition, high resistance training is as effective as more traditional eight-repetition strength training.

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
So that's wy my hairloss has been relatively slow compared to others... I've been a creatine user for 5 years now...

XL

Healthy Nick

Established Member
Reaction score
creatine works, and it works great! however, it was responsible for my appendix blowing up. it crystallized in my apendix. The doctor's didn't have a clue as to why.

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
Healthy Nick said:
creatine works, and it works great! however, it was responsible for my appendix blowing up. it crystallized in my apendix. The doctor's didn't have a clue as to why.

...neither did they have a clue that creatine was the cause of your appendicitis, since the true function of this organ is still not known to date. You can run, but you can't hide Nick! :twisted:

XL

Healthy Nick

Established Member
Reaction score
yeah, they don't know what it's use was, but for some reason creatine crystalized in mine, that caused inflammation and there, POP!. :moon:

G

Healthy Nick said:

It may have blown up your logic centers but I doubt it blew up much else.

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
Nick, I think you took the "more is better" concept to the heart. Creatine should be taken in conservative dosages across a period of 30 days, then rested for another 15 days for liver exhaustion.

XL

Healthy Nick

Established Member
Reaction score
BruceLee said:
Healthy Nick said:

are you in the medical field? doctor, surgeon? If you don't believe what I am saying, then maybe you should ask some doctor friends and see what they think.

Healthy Nick

Established Member
Reaction score
xzellerate said:
Nick, I think you took the "more is better" concept to the heart. Creatine should be taken in conservative dosages across a period of 30 days, then rested for another 15 days for liver exhaustion.

XL

yeah, you're right about that. The stuff worked really well and I started taking more, which I later found out to be wayyyy to much.

G

Healthy Nick said:
BruceLee said:
[quote="Healthy Nick":c3660]creatine works, and it works great! however, it was responsible for my appendix blowing up. it crystallized in my apendix. The doctor's didn't have a clue as to why.

are you in the medical field? doctor, surgeon? If you don't believe what I am saying, then maybe you should ask some doctor friends and see what they think.[/quote:c3660]

No I am not a doctor. But, I can read, and the research indicates that creatine is not only safe, but effective. This sounds like a bunch of hooey. If your doctor really said that to you, he may need to go back and read the research on creatine. BTW- a ruptured appendix can come from any number of causes or none at all. So, for your MD to say this is curious at best.

Healthy Nick

Established Member
Reaction score
Creatine is very safe and effective. However, if you take too much, like with anything, there is an increased risk that something could happen. For me, taking too much affected my appendix.

G

Healthy Nick said:
Creatine is very safe and effective. However, if you take too much, like with anything, there is an increased risk that something could happen. For me, taking too much affected my appendix.
'

You have added new information. 5-10 G is the normal dose. How much did you take????????/

Healthy Nick

Established Member
Reaction score
I was overloading. I extended the load phase way beyond the limit. And even after, I was taking a lot more than the standard daily dose. When I was loading, I'd say 35-40 grams a day. When I wasn't, about half that.

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
Healthy Nick said:
I was overloading. I extended the load phase way beyond the limit. And even after, I was taking a lot more than the standard daily dose. When I was loading, I'd say 35-40 grams a day. When I wasn't, about half that.

Good lord
speechless-smiley-004.gif

XL

G

xzellerate said:
Healthy Nick said:

Good lord
speechless-smiley-004.gif

XL

What the hell were you thinking? Even though I still find the appendix bursting story a bit much, this is way too high a dosage. At the very least, you should have been cramping up and the like.

Healthy Nick

Established Member
Reaction score
I was thinking, "wow!!! My muscles are getting huge and I can work out forever without getting exhausted. I've never heard of any bad side effects from creatine, so I can take as much as I want!"

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
Healthy Nick said:
I was thinking, "wow!!! My muscles are getting huge and I can work out forever without getting exhausted. I've never heard of any bad side effects from creatine, so I can take as much as I want!"

One of the best mindsets ever... Too much of anything is not good!

XL

G

Healthy Nick said:

Hmmm, well then why dont you take 20 G of proscar a day???? Wow, what a head of hair you will have!