Effect of finasteride on frontal scalp - share your story

leapinghorse

Reaction score
I know most of the clinical trials focused on the crown. I wanted to hear from people who are on it or have been for a while if finasteride stopped hairloss or regrew any hair in the frontal area including the hairline. As this area is my main concern, I don't want to take it if it isn't going to do anything.

Thanks!

feenix101

Reaction score
I'll just say from my experience with finasteride for 3 1/2 months, I've always had slightly receded temples, but I have diffuse thinning on top. I've noticed in my temple areas random hairs growing in within 2 months on propecia, about like 5-10 terminal hairs sprouting suddenly. Then just after the 3 months, more vellus hairs sprouting along my hairline, and filling in about 1/2 inch in each temple.

leapinghorse

Reaction score
That's awesome congrats bro. Do you have any before and after pics? I guess 3 1/2 months in might be too early to see a big difference but I'm glad to hear it is doing something for you!

RaginDemon

Reaction score
feenix101 said:
I'll just say from my experience with finasteride for 3 1/2 months, I've always had slightly receded temples, but I have diffuse thinning on top. I've noticed in my temple areas random hairs growing in within 2 months on propecia, about like 5-10 terminal hairs sprouting suddenly. Then just after the 3 months, more vellus hairs sprouting along my hairline, and filling in about 1/2 inch in each temple.

good to know that :)

Nick4441

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I've been on it 6 months and seen my hair continue to recede and also diffuse thin over front vertex that I didn't have when I started finasteride.

Sorry to disappoint but I am very low about this as I was only looking for maintenance and never got it at all..Trying to must the willpower to continue for a few more months as many say they saw turnaround at 8-9 months.

Knendell

Established Member
Reaction score
Nick4441 said:
I've been on it 6 months and seen my hair continue to recede and also diffuse thin over front vertex that I didn't have when I started finasteride.

Sorry to disappoint but I am very low about this as I was only looking for maintenance and never got it at all..Trying to must the willpower to continue for a few more months as many say they saw turnaround at 8-9 months.

I am in the same situation. I have lost more hair in the last five months than th elast five years. 5 months in and holding on for a year but i am in the dumps. I do know my balding got really aggressive right before I staarted and I most likely can't blame finasteride for my loss.

Pondle

Reaction score
finasteride has been great for me, if not miraculous. Hair loss has basically stopped; crown area may have even thickened slightly. Vertex and front are holding steady. I'm no longer afraid of going for a hair cut! :oops: As you'll see from my regimen, I'm upping the ante by adding dutasteride. Not sure whether I'll see any improvement, but it's worth a try.

Knendell

Established Member
Reaction score
I think rogaine is most likely the successful entity ini your regime. I want to hear from people with success from finasteride/nizoral alone. I just wanted it to stop but it is not happening.

Pondle

Reaction score
All my success came before I added Rogaine. Rogaine just caused a massive shed and was a b**ch to apply twice a day (I always forgot/couldn't be arsed), so I've basically stopped using it. Reminds me, I must update my description of my regimen!

Cassin

Reaction score
Any medication I take has incredibly fast results and they tend to work very well for me.

I am very sensitive so i also get the side effects. Double edged sword.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Cassin said:
Any medication I take has incredibly fast results and they tend to work very well for me.

I am very sensitive so i also get the side effects. Double edged sword.

I am getting decent regrow in the temples as well. I have no clue if it was from foam or finasteride though.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Cassin said:
probably both to some degree but more minoxidil.

I would say so too.

2 weeks after I started foam, I saw hair spourting out everywhere in front of my hairline already. I am just glad it works for me. I only do it once a day because I had to beat the traffic every morning.