Ecklonia Cava And Hair Growth - Alternative

Timii

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I went and translated them all days ago. Most of the ones I saw stated that there was a reduction is hair loss at the very least, and some stating that they saw thickening
Forged study? How can the lotion be so weak if ecklonia cava is such a bomb?

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ecklonia cava: a natural alternative to finasteride and minoxidil
Ecklonia cava is an edible brown seaweed, harvested in the oceans around Jeju-island, South Korea. This seaweed is broadly studied for its health properties. Already since the 11th century, people believe that it is helpful for beauty and growth of hair. Recent studies show that topical treatment with Ecklonia cava extract can have a positive effect on hair growth.
Ecklonia cava and hair growth
Hairs are produced from hair follicles which are embedded in the inner layer of the skin (dermis). Hair follicles are made up of dermal papilla cells. Growth of hairs is closely associated with the status of the dermal papilla cells. Ecklonia cava elicits several pathways involved in the multiplication of dermal papilla cells, which ultimately results in hair growth.

Studies show that Ecklonia cava enhances the lengthening of the hair shaft, the growth of dermal papilla cells and the release of the Insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1). Ecklonia cava also decreases the activity of 5α-reductase and therefore reduces the amount of DHT (di-hydro testosterone) in the body.

Ecklonia cava compared to minoxidil and finasteride
Ecklonia cava has been studied against two well-known drugs for the treatment of hair loss: finasteride and minoxidil. Finasteride inhibits the activity of 5α-reductase, which reduces the amount of DHT (di-hydro testosterone) in the body. Minoxidil promotes the growth of dermal papilla cells (hair follicles are made up of these cells). Studies verify that Ecklonia cava performs both of these functions:

• After 37 days of treatment, Ecklonia cava shows an increase in the size, depth and length of hair follicles. Whereas the hair follicles of the control group were still in the telogen (resting) stage, those in the Ecklonia cava and minoxidil treated groups were in the anagen (growing) stage.
  • Ecklonia cava has a 14% stronger effect on the increase of hair follicle length than Minoxdil (1 ug/ml of Ecklonia cava: +12,4%, 1 ug/ml of Minoxidil +10,9%).
  • Ecklonia cava inhibits the 5 α-reductase by over 66% and shows the same level of inhibition of 5 α-reductase as finasteride.
STUDY:
AIM: We evaluated the effect of E. cava and one of its components, dioxinodehydroeckol, on hair-shaft growth in cultured human hair follicles and on hair growth in mice.

METHODS: The MTT (3-(4,5-dimethylthiazol-2-yl)-2,5-diphenyltetrazolium bromide) assay was used to check cell viability of human dermal papilla cells (DPCs) and outer root sheath (ORS) cells after treatment with E. cava and its metabolite, dioxinodehydroeckol. Hair-shaft growth was measured using the in vitro hair-follicle organ-culture system, in the presence or absence of E. cava and dioxinodehydroeckol. Anagen induction activity was examined by topical application of E. cava to the dorsal skin of C57BL/6 mice. Insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-1 expression was measured by reverse transcriptase PCR and ELISA.

RESULTS: The proliferation activity was found to be highest for the ethyl acetate-soluble fraction of E. cava (EAFE) in DPCs and in ORS cells. Treatment with EAFE resulted in elongation of the hair shaft in cultured human hair follicles, and promoted transition of the hair cycle from the telogen to the anagen phase in the dorsal skin of C57BL/6 mice. In addition, EAFE induced an increase in IGF-1 expression in DPCs. Dioxinodehydroeckol, a component of E. cava, induced elongation of the hair shaft, an increase in proliferation of DPCs and ORS cells, and an increase in expression of IGF-1 in DPCs.

CONCLUSIONS: These results suggest that E. cava containing dioxinodehydroeckol promotes hair growth through stimulation of DPCs and ORS cells.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/24252083/

STUDY:
Abstract
This study was conducted to evaluate the effect of Ecklonia cava, a marine alga native to Jeju Island in Korea, on the promotion of hair growth. When vibrissa follicles were cultured in the presence of E. cava enzymatic extract (which contains more than 35% of dieckol) for 21 days, E. cava enzymatic extract increased hair-fiber length. In addition, after topical application of the 0.5% E. cava enzymatic extract onto the back of C57BL/6 mice, anagen progression of the hair-shaft was induced. The treatment with E. cava enzymatic extract resulted in the proliferation of immortalized vibrissa dermal papilla cells (DPC). Especially, dieckol, among the isolated compounds from the E. cava enzymatic extract, showed activity that increased the proliferation of DPC. When NIH3T3 fibroblasts were treated with the E. cava enzymatic extract and the isolated compounds from the E. cava enzymatic extract, the E. cava enzymatic extract increased the proliferation of NIH3T3 fibroblasts, but the isolated compounds such as eckol, dieckol, phloroglucinol and triphlorethol-A did not affect the proliferation of NIH3T3 fibroblasts. On the other hand, the E. cava enzymatic extract and dieckol significantly inhibited 5α-reductase activity. These results suggest that dieckol from E. cava can stimulate hair growth by the proliferation of DPC and/or the inhibition of 5α-reductase activity.

For whatever reason, there are tons of postings on ncbi suggesting that this or that compound helps with hair growth, and they're all from South Korean researchers.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27040904
Bee Venom Promotes Hair Growth in Association with Inhibiting 5α-Reductase Expression.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4017725/
Effect of Pumpkin Seed Oil on Hair Growth in Men with Androgenetic Alopecia: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25806080
Effectiveness of the combinational treatment of Laminaria japonica and Cistanche tubulosa extracts in hair growth.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24389480
In vivo hair growth-promoting effect of rice bran extract prepared by supercritical carbon dioxide fluid.

Once you notice this pattern, it does dilute the excitement, at least for me. I have no idea what's going on there but there you go. I actually joined this forum over the excitement from the study involving Laminaria Japonica and Cistanche Tubulosa, it looked awesome and there was a decent thread on it. A lot of people tried it and got no benefit. On the other hand, we do have one poster claiming to have benefited from bee venom, so there you go.

alebaba

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah will do. now that I look back I was on immortal hair regimen for two years as well I would still shed but ever since I stopped I lost even more hair. I think I'll get the ecklonia cava, antioxidant boost, and decalcify

I shed the most hair when I went off on it and took creatine along with getting no sleep because of my stupid job. I'm going to order some ECKLONIA CAVA and decalcify too from hairevo and see what sup for 6 months.

Well f*** knows how much they put into it.

ECKLONIA CAVA is mad expensive, I doubt they put anything.

Last edited:

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Georgie

I really like your posts, because you put a lot of effort and research into them.

I need to start doing that with mine.

Unfortunately, the only hair medications I'm really familiar with are Finasteride, Minoxidil,
and Progesterone.

That's about it.

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Georgie

I really like your posts, because you put a lot of effort and research into them.

I need to start doing that with mine.

Unfortunately, the only hair medications I'm really familiar with are Finasteride, Minoxidil,
and Progesterone.

That's about it.
There’s a world of bizarre treatments out there if you take the time to look. I know what too much about this sh*t now.

Beowulf

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not many of them actually worth one's time, or money.

Hope is always worth the time. Just the fact that getting what we want isn't physically impossible is enough to make us hold onto until the dawn.

whatintheworld

Reaction score
I took this orally for a year along with saw palmetto, pumpkin seed oil, evening primrose oil, topical castor oil.

Kept on losing my hair, and a lot of money as well.

Topically though it may work, I guess you should give it a shot. I'm already trying a different experimental red clover topical treatment on my hairline while I use minoxidil on my crown. So I'll give that 3-4 months until I choose to use something else.

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not many of them actually worth one's time, or money.
To be honest part of me just likes to know this stuff, which is why I post it. Good to understand the various pathways by which hair is regenerated. Also, I f*****g hate the idea of mutilating yourself with AA’s to treat this sh*t. I hate what we do to ourselves. So I enjoy the search for alternatives.

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’d like to add guys, that no one has tried this stuff in high doses topically with wounding IN CONJUNCTION with AA’s.

Timii

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’d like to add guys, that no one has tried this stuff in high doses topically with wounding IN CONJUNCTION with AA’s.
What does AA mean again?

Timii

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It seems nobody tried this topically with wounding, who is going to be the first one?

Alex Contee

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It seems nobody tried this topically with wounding, who is going to be the first one?
I have been using EC topically and internally since July. I have been maintaining with it (and a ton of other stuff) but no regrowth. People have been trying it internally for hairloss for over a decade.

It is possible my source (hairevo), vehicle (ethanol then later PG), or method (dissolving the contents of capsules), is flawed.

Timii

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been using EC topically and internally since July. I have been maintaining with it (and a ton of other stuff) but no regrowth. People have been trying it internally for hairloss for over a decade.

It is possible my source (hairevo), vehicle (ethanol then later PG), or method (dissolving the contents of capsules), is flawed.
That doesn't seem very comforting

kiwipilu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
dieckol...
that's always the problem with natural extracts, they can do wonders for sure but you need the molecule(component) itself(same as oleuropein, Procyanidin B2, dieckol ...etc and not the plant powder ...). And that's hard work to isolate them. these pure molecules are expensive.
taking supplement won't be as effective as it could be. It's like Saw palmetto if you take the component who is really efficient(which is anti androgenic) it could be way more effective in low dose. It's the same for all the other stuff such vitex (vitexin), chlorella, black seed etc they all have their own key component which are extracted(scientifically) for the studies
ps: see attachment for study

Attachments

• Effect of Dieckol, a Component of Ecklonia cava, on the Promotion of Hair Growth.pdf
    652.6 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:

alebaba

Established Member
Reaction score

I'm going to give it another go orally to go along with seti and see how that goes.

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
dieckol...
that's always the problem with natural extracts, they can do wonders for sure but you need the molecule(component) itself(same as oleuropein, Procyanidin B2, dieckol ...etc and not the plant powder ...). And that's hard work to isolate them. these pure molecules are expensive.
taking supplement won't be as effective as it could be. It's like Saw palmetto if you take the component who is really efficient(which is anti androgenic) it could be way more effective in low dose. It's the same for all the other stuff such vitex (vitexin), chlorella, black seed etc they all have their own key component which are extracted(scientifically) for the studies
ps: see attachment for study

It's true. Standardized extracts are the only things that can get close to experimental trials and have been used in other scientific studies for other conditions. And there are some labs, which have high quality equipment that can process herbals into pure distillates. Many are listed in the scientific articles if you go through them thoroughly. Quite a few are in in Indonesia and Thailand. Places where a much cheaper cost structure exist. I would imagine one could ferret out such resource given the motivation.