Dutasteride

VOVVIE

Established Member
Reaction score
stem cells.. CLONING?? that sounds mad expensive!! And .. is it smart to mess with our genetic make up?? god wouldnt think so.

outgrowth

Established Member
Reaction score
man, it's something like this: they will cultivate hair follicles ("YOUR" hair follicles, with your dna and stuff) in laboratory, thousands of them, and then just make a hair transplant in your head.. something like this, i think.. and, ofcourse, it will be really expensive.. but wont make any bad for your health..

Buffboy

Established Member
Reaction score
The guys behind the science say 3-5 years. They already know how to clone - the only thing they can't do is making the hair follicles grow in the right directions.

It's NOT a hair transplant - they will inject the follicles, not transplant them.

fast times

Reaction score
Hello noob here, I have now stocked the med cabinet with the big three and 90 tabs of dutasteride, got any ideas on combining dutasteride and finasteride? What about every third day adding a dutasteride cap? I have a hidious front hairline from an old school transplant and dont have alot of time to see which one works for me, if you get my drift. Thanks

VOVVIE

Established Member
Reaction score
yeah, dont.. ive heard nothing but bad things concerning the mixing of dutasteride and finasteride... but i dont know too many details on the issue.. wait till someone more learned comes about before you make any real decisions..

Thinning1

Reaction score
hey fast times,

I'll reply. I've used finasteride for 2 years. About 5 months ago i thought i'd try dutasteride. I didn't want risk losing anything i'd gain with the finasteride, so i figuered i'd keep taking the finasteride (propecia once daily) and add .5 avodart 3 times a week. I had heard some people had success with this sort of regime.

Well i did nothing but shed. everybody i've spoken with who has had success has said that they shed in the 1st 6 months and then had some positive results, but a lot of people have also said they just continued to shed and shed.

For me, it wasn't worth the risk. I'm going to stick to what is approved and known to work, ie finasteride and minoxidil .

Cheers,

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
sostupid said:
did you have to pay customs fees when you recieved the item???
In the US, no.

fast times

Reaction score
Ive got nothing to lose right now as I live with a hat on anyway, from sun-up to sun down . I'll try 2 a week , those days no finasteride, and see . I 'll keep everyone posted.

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
I can't see that taking dutasteride twice a week will make a huge difference to your DHT levels.

You say you have nothing to lose hair wise so, money permitting, switch to a proper daily dose of dutasteride. You can drastically shorten the time it takes for dutasteride to build up in your system (about 3 months) by taking a triple dose (1.5mg per day) for 10 days, before reverting to the .5mg dose. See this chart for the effect of different doses: http://www.hairsite2.com/images/dutas_analysis.jpg

But be warned, dutasteride will most likely result in heavy shedding, potentially over a prolonged period, as hairs are ejected from those follicles currently being damaged by DHT.

Slarti

Buffboy

Established Member
Reaction score
I can't help but to think that there MUST be a better reason for GlaxoKleinSmith for not going into trial phase III than "will be confused with Propecia and afraid that we will not make enough money". Then why the f*** did they start the first trials anyway?

I think that whole non-stop shedding thing that many on dutasteride experience has something to do with it. They just don't tell us, because they are now seeing quite a sale to male pattern baldness-sufferers. Money in the bank for them.

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Slartibartfast said:
But be warned, dutasteride will most likely result in heavy shedding, potentially over a prolonged period, as hairs are ejected from those follicles currently being damaged by DHT.
That's possible, but it didn't happen to me when I started taking dutasteride.

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Buffboy said:
I can't help but to think that there MUST be a better reason for GlaxoKleinSmith for not going into trial phase III than "will be confused with Propecia and afraid that we will not make enough money". Then why the f*** did they start the first trials anyway?
Businesses change their mind all the time. The shedding thing is a far more implausible explanation for their decision.

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
mvpsoft said:
Slartibartfast said:
That's possible, but it didn't happen to me when I started taking dutasteride.
OK, the phrase "dutasteride will most likely result in heavy shedding" is probably a bit melodramatic. I just wanted to convey that a heavy, long-lasting shed (of 1 to 2 months) would not be uncharacteristic for this drug and that it is, therefore, important to take dutasteride only if you are prepared to endure any heavy shedding that it may induce.

Slarti

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Can't the same thing be said about minoxidil, finasteride and in fact any treatment that works?

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
Which same thing? If you mean that any treatment should only be started if you are prepared to persevere through thick and thin (terrible pun intended) then yes, absolutely.

But what I meant was that, based on anecdotal evidence from an, admittedly small, group of users (the ideal basis for any good argument), Dutasteride appears to have a higher probability of inducing a shed that is sufficiently heavy and prolonged to make people question the sense in persevering. That was why I felt dutasteride warranted an additional warning of shedding, over and above that for other treatments.

Until either empirical or anecdotal evidence sways my opinion I shall continue to voice the same warning, I'll just try to be more precise with my language.

Slarti

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What I meant was that for any treatment that works, it can induce shedding, same as dutasteride. I'm not sure why you single out dutasteride as more likely to cause prolonged or heavy shedding -- there is plenty of anecdotal evidence that minoxidil and finasteride to the same thing.

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
mvpsoft said:
I'm not sure why you single out dutasteride as more likely to cause prolonged or heavy shedding
I'm trying to make it cry.

That and because the impression I got from reading posts by the, admittedly few, dutasteride users out there (plus my own experience) is that a higher proportion of people on dutasteride suffer a heavy, circa 2 month long, shed than those on finasteride. I'm not implying that such severe sheds don't occur on finasteride, merely that in my opinion it is a less common occurrence.

Slarti