Dutasteride Success thread

mjk450

Reaction score
If anyone here has been on dutasteride for at least 1 year + please post:

how many years you were on dutasteride
progress (includes maintaining),
dosage (.5 daily? 5. EOD, weekly, 2.5 etc...)
age when started
Norwood-Hamilton pattern before you started
Overall feeling: Positive or Negative?
Side Affects (if applicable)
Additional treatments you were using during this time

Maybe this has been done before but, I'm a new dutasteride user and would love to see a concentrated place where people can post their replies. I noticed many people post opinions without giving full information. So while a 45 year old male who was a Norwood 4 is pissed that he isn't a NW1 after 2 years of dutasteride may offer an opinion, that opinion may not nec. apply to a 24 year old NW2.

Also- if you have negative views on dutasteride (like some people clearly have) please post the above information before you just say something like "dutasteride sucks" or "dutasteride destroyed my life".

Let's see what we can get!!

Dani_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
This could be a good collection, need to add:

-Success includes maintaining?
-Addtional medication
-Medication before switching over to dutasteride (finasteride?, and how many years)
-DIffuse thinning or frontal and/or back
-Shedding experienced

Ive just finished 6 months and hope I will be one of the posters in 6 months time, at the moment doesnt look very good.

mjk450

Reaction score
I started my 2nd month today!

I am very optimistic. dutasteride has some wonderful results in many studies and there have been quite a few success stories.

Currently im a NW2, thinning in the vertex, but not severe. As of now, no sexual sides (then again I'm 22). Noticed fewer hairs in the shower...went from loosing approx 130 a day to 75 (LIBERAL). I am also removing a lot of fats from my diet.

No massive sheds, for the first month I have definitely shed some hairs the root wasn't gone on most of them tho.

My stress level has GREATLY reduced. I feel like I am taking positive steps to address this issue and I'm increasingly more confident because of it.

Dani, don't worry- 6 months ain't nothing bro. Give it a full consistent year (minimum). What dose are you taking? I recommend at LEAST .5mg/daily. Then again, I'm not a doctor...but that's what I was prescribed.

Dani- At the end of the day if we wind up going bald, screw it. It's nothing weird or strange, embrace it. Millions have and millions will continue to do so. Personally, this is a great motivator for me to get in shape and improve as many other of my physical characteristics as I can! Get a tan, get ripped...ladies dig that! Bald is masculine!

Dani_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey MJK450,

Hows it goin?

Yeh, youre right but there are some people who cant stop taking the piss.

Anyhow, what does body fats have to do with hair loss? I stopped excercising about 4 monhts ago and have put on 1.5 stones! When I did excercise I felt as if my hair loss was less, but wasnt sure.

I wonder, if body fat and excerise plays a role in hair loss?

Did you have any previous medical regimens for hairloss ? I jumped over from finasteride after 3 years, initially it was wonderful, but then the effects began to wear off. Been on dutasteride (0.5 mg) for 6 monhts now with minoxidil ( which ive been using for the past 3.6 yrs). Have began to use topical spironolactone last few days.

mjk450

Reaction score
I'm just on the dutasteride...from what I understand it is a very powerful drug. If in 1 year, when i evaluate, I feel the need to beef up my regimen I'll add minoxidil. Other than that, take Saw Palmetto and use Nizoral.

I'm very hesitant to use spironolactone, flutagel etc... How is minoxidil working for you? Personally, I think it's better to use treatments individually to see what works. For example if your on dutasteride/minoxidil how can you tell which one is working or if they are both working? It could get really expensive.

Dogs3

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hey mjk, i like your attitude...At nw2, you should really see some solid results and at the very least youll keep what you have and thicken it up. Good luck, the studies show us that dutasteride is the best pill weve got at the moment.

mjk450

Reaction score
Hey dogs! Awesome word of encouragement! I honestly think that's what we need around here. Balding is emotional for a lot of people, including myself, and having a support thread is good.

I really hope your right. Some people at work today noticed my thinning on my crown. I just laughed it off and said "No worries, I'm taking preventative measures". Hopefully dutasteride will work!

Are you taking dutasteride?

Dogs3

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hey mjk, yeah i was on finasteride for 10 months will solid results, and after doing the research i decided to get on to avodart. I take one .5mg pill once daily..Ive been on it about 5 months. I went through a shed around month 4 which was kind of scary because it looked like i lost some of my finasteride gains...However, over the past 3 or so weeks, things seemed to have stabilized and the hair along the temples/hairline that was shed is now growing back, even better than before it seems.... but im not going to judge how its going one way or the pther for at least a couple more months because its still very early on in my treatment to even begin to evaluate my results...A lot of users on this forum have used dutasteride with more success than finasteride but it seems like the results take at least around 9 or 10 months before you can make a good evaluation. Im confident that i made a good choice though and i can rest that much easier knowing that im on the best possible treatment thats out right now...

I still might add minoxidil soon, but i want to give dutasteride time to see what it can do on its own, either way, my hair is better now that it was before i started treatment, thats for sure.. good luck to you too, two months is nothing though so dont get discouraged if it seems like your hair gets thinner in the next couple months, sheds are bound to happen. My shed when i first started taking propecia in months 2-3 was so bad i started thinking about getting a hair transplant, but after 6 or 7 months my hair came back with a vengence and looked thicker and healthier than before i started...Just give it time and you wont regret your decision, i sure dont regret it.

mjk450

Reaction score
awesome! yeah i noticed less hair falling out in the shower- don't get me wrong, i still loose hairs, but not as many. Seems encouraging! I admit I got impatient and made an impulse Rogaine purchase last week. I use it on my crown/temples. (started to thin a bit on the crown).

I'm optimistic. I dunno if I had any hardcore sheds....what exactly qualifies as a shed? I hope I'm responding to the meds!

My current regimen right now is:

Minox5%
Avodart .5mg/daily
Saw Palmetto w/pumpkin seed oil 320mg daily.
multivitamin
healthy diet (high protein)

Dogs3

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hey mjk, youve got all your bases covered so i wouldnt worry about anything, all im saying is that it might get a little worse before it gets better, your only 2 months in right? It just means that your hair might thin out a bit temporarily but in the long run youll be just fine.

Dogs3

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hey propeciajunkie, things seem to being going well for the hair, its still relatively early in the dutasteride treatment though so ive got to give it a few more months to evaluate but so far i had a bit of a shed a month or so ago which seems to have stabilized and im having more regrowth along the hairline. Its looking good though and im hoping it keeps it up..how about you, how are you doing?

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
I am doing real good. It's been a year and I got my hair cut real short (buzz) and I was shocked that my hair thickened all over and I have peach fuzz at the temples. Overall I am happy and I am glad to see you are still doing well. Hang in their buddy.

Dogs3

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hey propeciajunkie, i just noticed your regimen there and i was wondering why you cut your dutasteride dosage down to 1 pill a week?

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
I did, I revamped everything recently. I put a little thought into it and feel this is the way to go now. I will keep you posted and it was good to hear from you again!!

Dogs3

Experienced Member
Reaction score
good to hear your doing alright. But do you feel that cutting the dose of dutasteride is going to benefit your hair or did you do it for other reasons?

Mitchem

Established Member
Reaction score
Dogs3 said:
hey mjk, yeah i was on finasteride for 10 months will solid results, and after doing the research i decided to get on to avodart. I take one .5mg pill once daily..Ive been on it about 5 months. I went through a shed around month 4 which was kind of scary because it looked like i lost some of my finasteride gains...However, over the past 3 or so weeks, things seemed to have stabilized and the hair along the temples/hairline that was shed is now growing back, even better than before it seems.... but im not going to judge how its going one way or the pther for at least a couple more months because its still very early on in my treatment to even begin to evaluate my results...A lot of users on this forum have used dutasteride with more success than finasteride but it seems like the results take at least around 9 or 10 months before you can make a good evaluation. Im confident that i made a good choice though and i can rest that much easier knowing that im on the best possible treatment thats out right now...

I still might add minoxidil soon, but i want to give dutasteride time to see what it can do on its own, either way, my hair is better now that it was before i started treatment, thats for sure.. good luck to you too, two months is nothing though so dont get discouraged if it seems like your hair gets thinner in the next couple months, sheds are bound to happen. My shed when i first started taking propecia in months 2-3 was so bad i started thinking about getting a hair transplant, but after 6 or 7 months my hair came back with a vengence and looked thicker and healthier than before i started...Just give it time and you wont regret your decision, i sure dont regret it.

Cheers Dogs3, im having a bad time atm, 12 weeks on finasteride and feel like sh1t. I just need to stay strong untill at least 9-12 months. Your post has give me help thanks.

Dogs3

Experienced Member
Reaction score
no problem mitchem...12 weeks is nothing man, dont worry about it. I know its tough i was even considering dropping finasteride between the 1 to 5th months because my hair was looking worse...A bad shed just means itl get better. The hair thats being pushed out simply doesnt vanish, it comes back, and itl look healthier and just better in general.. I'm certainly glad i stuck with it. It isnt easy waiting, but itl be worth that wait. Just stick with it. I didnt see solid results until 7-8 months, just try to take it easy and know you're taking the best possible treatment that's available nowadays.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
It's just a roller coaster ride, it has it's ups and down but I am happy overall. I did revamp my regimine a bit but nothing changed with my hair, which is a good thing meaning I did not lose any dropping the dose. Good to see you again Dogs3.