Dutasteride shedding and destroying my hairline, should I go back to finasteride or ride it out?

Mustang

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Probably a scalp Free Testosterone spike caused it.

Finasteride responds better on the crown and vertex while it does pretty much nothing preserving the hairline on some cases which is much more prone to Test than DHT.

You need an Anti-androgen , CB0301 at 2.5% or 5% once a day. Don't mess with RU58841 unless you are on TRT.

abovedagame

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Probably a scalp Free Testosterone spike caused it.

Finasteride responds better on the crown and vertex while it does pretty much nothing preserving the hairline on some cases which is much more prone to Test than DHT.

You need an Anti-androgen , CB0301 at 2.5% or 5% once a day. Don't mess with RU58841 unless you are on TRT.
Josh? Is that you?

SadAndMad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Since I'm back on the forum, I feel I have an obligation to clear some things up. If someone is reading this thread, they may get scared of dutasteride.

I stopped topical minoxidil completely because it continued to cause seborrheic dermatitis and additional shedding. Yes, it worked great, but the seb dermatitis shedding canceled out all the growth so over time I continued to lose my hair and struggle with an itchy, sore scalp and horrible dermatitis breakouts.

I started using oral minoxidil (5mg) instead. The shedding increased and continued, but I no longer had to deal with all the side effects that came with topical minoxidil.
After about 2 months I started to panic and decided to try dutasteride again, this time strictly taking it every day. After about 50 days of dutasteride, the shedding decreased drastically, and after 4 months I noticed a lot of small hairs around my hairline again.
The hairs filled in nicely, and around the 6th month It started shedding again for 2.5 months. After that shedding period I could see even more new hairs popping up all over the place.

Right now I'm losing maybe 15 hairs a day which is amazing for me and my hair looks really good. I don't believe that oral minoxidil is doing most of the work simply because of the places where I am regrowing hair. For example, with topical minoxidil, my hair would grow all over my forehead and above my eyebrows, but currently the growth follows my hairline.

I feel like this is the first time since I started struggling with hair loss that I have things under control. I hope things get even better, but I'm really happy with the current results.

rex1010

My Regimen
Reaction score
La muda es normal. Hay una época del año en la que sucederá. Sufro una caída y caída extrema del cabello en los meses de invierno y se ve mejor en verano.

La cosa es que cuando se Telogen Effluvium cae el cabello, Telogen Effluvium vuelves muy consciente de tu cabello. No ayuda el hecho de que también pierdas la mitad de la densidad que tenías cuando eras niño. Pero es normal que los pelos pasen por estos ciclos.

También sea realista acerca de su situación de caída del cabello. A menos que elimines todos los andrógenos de tu cuerpo, la caída del cabello progresará, pero a un ritmo extremadamente lento. También depende de qué tan débiles sean los folículos pilosos frente a los andrógenos.

Una cosa es segura: si crees que finasterida/dutasterida no funciona, déjalo y verás cómo Telogen Effluvium matan el cabello.
Be realistic? My hair is better than 4 years ago, if that sh*t progresses it is because of senile alopecia, not because of mbp

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Be realistic? My hair is better than 4 years ago, if that sh*t progresses it is because of senile alopecia, not because of mbp
I suspect my hair issue isnt only male pattern baldness. Im Norwood 2.5 but it has stayed like that for years. Just got Generall diffuse thinning. Not even 2.5mg or 2mg dutasteride made a single hair strand thicker. My hair today is much more stable since quitting dutasteride over a year ago. I never went through a shedding phase on dutasteride it just thinned the hair like speedy Gonzalez in a span of 1.5 yrs. Im either sensitive to hormonal imbalance or Testosterone. Not fun having low semen volume coupled with almost retrograde ejaculation on dutasteride and zero morning boners. I still have ejaculation problems due to 5ari use.

Last edited:

rex1010

My Regimen
Reaction score
I suspect my hair issue isnt only male pattern baldness. Im Norwood 2.5 but it has stayed like that for years. Just got Generall diffuse thinning. Not even 2.5mg or 2mg dutasteride made a single hair strand thicker. My hair today is much more stable since quitting dutasteride over a year ago. I never went through a shedding phase on dutasteride it just thinned the hair like speedy Gonzalez in a span of 1.5 yrs. Im either sensitive to hormonal imbalance or Testosterone. Not fun having low semen volume coupled with almost retrograde ejaculation on dutasteride and zero morning boners. I still have ejaculation problems due to 5ari use.
I have low semen volume either. But dutasteride has given me good results, too bad it doesn't work for some people :(